Maverick Jester
The Special One
Is anyone using MIUI Scotland 2.6.15?
Still on the AdyScorpius version. But this one seems quite impressive, based on the changelog.
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Is anyone using MIUI Scotland 2.6.15?
<br />Originally Posted by Stefanmuller<br />
Cool - so is it a huge effort to switch to Siyah kernel? Does that mean reboot and losing all my data?
<br />
No, it's a simple enough process. But make sure you are on ICS first! If not- same process as below, just need a ROM to do it with.<br />
<br />
* First ensure that you make a backup of your data. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore&feature=search_result"]Call Log Backup & Restore[/URL], https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&feature=search_result"]SMS Backup & Restore[/URL] and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup&feature=search_result"]App Backup & Restore[/URL] are good apps to use to backup most of your stuff. Your photo's, videos etc can just be copied onto your PC.<br />
* Install your USB drivers onto your PC. You might want to install Samsung Kies for this, then uninstall it but do not remove the drivers. But I think the phone installs it automatically when connected?<br />
* Download Odin and the http://www.gokhanmoral.com/"]Siyah kernel[/URL]. Make sure that you download the .TAR kernel file. Either way- make sure that Kies is not running when you perform the flashing.<br />
* Open Odin. It should open fine if your drivers are installed. Make sure that your phone is not connected via USB at this point.<br />
* Switch off your phone. Then reboot it into download mode by holding power + volume up + home. It should then ask you to press volume up (if I remember) to boot into download mode.<br />
* Connect your USB cable to your phone. Odin should now say "Detected!" and a yellow strip will appear with a COM port on it.<br />
* Select the PDA option on Odin, and search for the kernel you have downloaded.<br />
* Click "Start" and wait while it flashes and reboots. Done! You should now see SuperUser in your list of applications. From there, download ExTweaks from the market to start customising your profile.<br />
<br />
<br />
EDIT: Reboot is required, but you shouldn't lose any data. Never hurts to backup though![]()
I'm running Gingerbread me thinks the one it came out with. Do I just proceed with your steps? I just need better battery life.
I don't know if this is strictly a Samsung Galaxy SII problem or just an Android problem, but I didn't want to start an unnecessary thread on it.
Since the ICS update my Facebook contacts in my phone book doesn't sync with my Whatsapp. I've tried countless re-installs, but to know avail. Anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying and I don't smaak to add hundreds of contacts manually to my Whatsapp. Someone help please!!![]()
I installed MIUI to the secondary rom and for some reason it thinks that it should use my external sd card for its installation. I also noticed during flashing that MIUI installs its own kernel so I would suggest installing it as the primary rom, but before reboot, flash Siyah again to retain the kernel and dual boot. Make nandroid backups before flashing
ok, here's a question i havent seen anyone ask as yet...
My camera makes pink stripes accross the screen after being on for 2 seconds. sometimes I still take the pic and it comes out fine, and other times it just freezes and says "ErrorCallBack"... helluva frustrating and phone is only 40 days old...
Need help quick as I might be able to swop it for a S3, and need to repair this before doing 'the deal'... :erm:
Have you updated the software yet? What you running, ICS or GB? Rooted or unrooted?
The problem is with the Facebook app. Rather sync your contacts to Google then upload to Whatsapp.
unrooted ICS... it did the same on GB though before upgrade.
Hardware issue maybe?
Maybe you can try a full factory reset (wipe data/system data)? Remember to backup any important data.
If the above does not help then definitely a high probability of a hardware problem.
will factory reset suffice?
No, it's a simple enough process. But make sure you are on ICS first! If not- same process as below, just need a ROM to do it with.
First ensure that you make a backup of your data. Call Log Backup & Restore, SMS Backup & Restore and App Backup & Restore are good apps to use to backup most of your stuff. Your photo's, videos etc can just be copied onto your PC.
Install your USB drivers onto your PC. You might want to install Samsung Kies for this, then uninstall it but do not remove the drivers. But I think the phone installs it automatically when connected?
Download Odin and the Siyah kernel. Make sure that you download the .TAR kernel file. Either way- make sure that Kies is not running when you perform the flashing.
Open Odin. It should open fine if your drivers are installed. Make sure that your phone is not connected via USB at this point.
Switch off your phone. Then reboot it into download mode by holding power + volume up + home. It should then ask you to press volume up (if I remember) to boot into download mode.
Connect your USB cable to your phone. Odin should now say "Detected!" and a yellow strip will appear with a COM port on it.
Select the PDA option on Odin, and search for the kernel you have downloaded.
Click "Start" and wait while it flashes and reboots. Done! You should now see SuperUser in your list of applications. From there, download ExTweaks from the market to start customising your profile.
EDIT: Reboot is required, but you shouldn't lose any data. Never hurts to backup though
unrooted ICS... it did the same on GB though before upgrade.
Hardware issue maybe?
Hi guys, I have been using the ICS from Vodacom but I'm not very satisfied with it. For starters when someone phones me, the contact name no longer displays, frequently have to restart my S2 due to network signal loss. Never happened with GB.
Anyways so I want to root and flash another ICS build. So my question is what the preferred kernels and ICS builds here on myBB that work well with the SA networks? And is there a good guide available to do this?
Its my first time I'm gonna do this, so don't really wanna screw things up. I'm a little bit scared that I'll brick my phone.
Thanks!
EDIT: I see there is a post on the previous page by Third Blue From The Sun
Is this the process I should follow?
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
I can vouch for the process. I flashed my phone and my brother's this way (from there, root and CWM kind of make Odin redundant).
I can't stress enough the importance of backing up your data- using the apps I recommended, syncing Google and just backing up your SD data are really important.
Flashing a ROM is the same- instead of a kernel file you will place the ROM file in the PDA section. There are plenty to choose from, I usually start here.
EDIT: I would vouch that MIUI is becoming popular again, it definitely works well and is a big change from the stock.
But any of the AOSP / CM9 / AOKP based ROM's are worth a look. Just too many to mention, it comes down to choice.
Kernel wise, I can be more specific. Siyah is the best kernel I have used. Fluxi and N.E.A.K refused to boot on my phone, the stock Samsung was not too bad. Have not found a reason to use another kernel.
The benefit from using Siyah is that I can flash any ROM and it will work. The dual boot and kernel tweaks certainly help (average 2 days battery life with medium use).
On the radio side- look for XXLPS. Seems to work across the board here. KI4 is also a good one, used it for a while.
Hi guys, I have been using the ICS from Vodacom but I'm not very satisfied with it. For starters when someone phones me, the contact name no longer displays, frequently have to restart my S2 due to network signal loss. Never happened with GB.