Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use SetCPU only to apply AndreiLux's settings. When I moved over to ICS, SetCPU gave me a lot of freezes so I uninstalled it, but when AndreiLux made his setting public, I reinstalled SetCPU and I allow it only to govern the governor.

... gulp ... ave battery life ... erm ... I am messing so much with my phone that I can not really say ... but I guess with normal usage (as I did on my previous phones), I would get about 2.5days with +-3.0hrs screen on time and about 90mins phone calls. Just for kicks, I tested over the weekend and got past 6hrs screen on time - but that was just to compare it to what othjers say on XDA. There are guys getting in excess of 8hrs screen on time, but I can fake that easily. I think if I do a faking exercise, I will get more than 10hrs

Min threshold ... sorry, you lost me there - which setting are you referring to?

Just a note: All the above settings are acceptable to me. I want a stable phone with good battery life. On these settings, I don't get any freezes or SOD's

Ok, thought I was the only one who had issues with SetCPU.

Just curious on the battery life. I might copy a few settings here and there for myself... But I agree on you- I would rather sacrifice 4 days of battery life (well, an example) for a stable, smooth experience.

EDIT- finally have a chance to respond properly.

I would change a few settings under your governor. Setting the minimum threshold to 200000 would be better (smoother experience and overall better battery life). I would also go with a more linear GPU stepping method (160, 200, 267). Other than that, I like your settings!
 
Last edited:
Can't send MMS

I got the settings by dialing *123*12# and installing.

what else needs to be done?

If you came from a BlackBerry, check that you are setup to receive MMS. My wife's line had to be reprovisioned for MMS after she did the same. Nuts.
 
By the way, I've read on XDA that some think that making your CPU's lower limit 200mhz instead of 100mhz is more energy efficient.

Apparantly, 200mhz is the frequency that uses the least energy with the S2's processor. And it also completes light tasks quicker to get your phone into deep sleep quicker.

About CM9's nightlies - I see they update them regularly (almost daily at some times). Are there actually updates every day made to the ROM? Or is this just a result of one of their internal processes?
 
Last edited:
By the way, I've read on XDA that some think that making your CPU's lower limit 200mhz instead of 100mhz is more energy efficient.

Apparantly, 200mhz is the frequency that uses the least energy with the S2's processor. And it also completes light tasks quicker to get your phone into deep sleep quicker.

About CM9's nightlies - I see they update them regularly (almost daily at some times). Are there actually updates every day made to the ROM? Or is this just a result of one of their internal processes?

Yup, the issue between 200MHz and 100MHz was debated heavily and also discussed in the Siyah thread. There was a guy who used multimeters and who knows what and he tested the energy usage between the frequencies and found that 100MHz is more efficient. The phone was not really designed with certain frequencies to run without glitches. Samsung also did not undervolt the phones and here we are doing it ...

Running at 200MHZ, will complete tasks quicker than 100MHz, seeing you have processing power and more voltage given to the processor to do the tasks. But if you are running at 100MHz, the phone will soon enough pick up if it needs more processing power and jump up to a more acceptable frequency. You could also argue that running at 1200MHz (as both minimum and maximum frequencies) will complete those light tasks even quicker.

The bottom line is that you can pick any available frequency as the lowest. If you prefer 200MHz, then stick to it. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer 100MHz. (All the little bits counts to save juice)

That is why they call it "nightlies". They develop almost non-stop and every day they produce an updated firmware which might be only one bug fixe or a whole new feature applied to it. I think this will end in a couple of weeks seeing they are working hard towards a RC version. I think they will then concentrate their efforts more on the S3 CM rom.
 
Last edited:
EDIT- finally have a chance to respond properly.

I would change a few settings under your governor. Setting the minimum threshold to 200000 would be better (smoother experience and overall better battery life). I would also go with a more linear GPU stepping method (160, 200, 267). Other than that, I like your settings!

The minimum threshold has been debated on XDA - see my post above to Pakka. Running at 100MHz works for me. But I agree with you to the extend that if my phone becomes laggy, the first thing I will do is to bump up the lower threshold to 200.

The stepping you have there is close to stock (or the same as). Those settings are high and I used them quite a bit before experimenting to go lower, but keeping the the last step at a proper 267 level.

I have since yesterday lowered the GPU voltages - 850/900/950. All is fine for now
 
The minimum threshold has been debated on XDA - see my post above to Pakka. Running at 100MHz works for me. But I agree with you to the extend that if my phone becomes laggy, the first thing I will do is to bump up the lower threshold to 200.

The stepping you have there is close to stock (or the same as). Those settings are high and I used them quite a bit before experimenting to go lower, but keeping the the last step at a proper 267 level.

I have since yesterday lowered the GPU voltages - 850/900/950. All is fine for now

Thanks for the feedback, especially on the 100Mhz detail. Honestly, I haven't really tweaked my settings since I had FoxHound ROM loaded.

I will be replicating your settings and monitoring- if you say that it works then I am eager to give it a bash.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, especially on the 100Mhz detail. Honestly, I haven't really tweaked my settings since I had FoxHound ROM loaded.

I will be replicating your settings and monitoring- if you say that it works then I am eager to give it a bash.

For now all systems are fine. I normally do small changes at a time so that if there is a freeze or a lag, then I know which setting caused it.
 
I'm not sure what you are asking ... but here goes ... I don't know. My primary rom is still stock ICS XWLPD. I just like the idea of the rom (CM9) being developed over a number of months with a release every night for testers to test and to sort out bugs. It has a proper ICS look and feel and boasts Trebauchet (spelling???) launcher with no bloatware, although you can download gapps to get some stock apps back. There are some things I don't like, mainly the fact you can not mute an incoming call by turning the device over and you can not sort your apps in the app drawer or put it into folders (the latter being my biggest gripe with the rom). Apart from that, this is a very stable rom and properly tested. This morning (one here) I saw that they have a release candidate (RC) and that is awesome news! It means that we are very close to a rock solid version of one of the most popular roms out there. I will however wait a while to see what people's comments are regarding the RC.

Like all other roms, test and see if you like it. I have tested Ressurectiuon, Wanamlite, D4, etc and alway go back to stock ICS LPD (with Jkay and ICS Domination)

I only saw this now :) slow day...

Thanks for the feedback on this. Given your gripes, I certainly see why I prefer MIUI.
 
I have found that undervolting my CPU to -50mV causes freezes on my phone. -25mv Seems fine though
 
Last edited:
I only saw this now :) slow day...

Thanks for the feedback on this. Given your gripes, I certainly see why I prefer MIUI.

I tried MIUI too, but it's too close to iPhone for my liking. If MIUI could give me a proper ICS look, I will certainly try it out again, but I doubtthat it can.


I have found that undervolting my CPU to -50mV causes freezes on my phone. -25mv Seems fine though

Which rom are you running? Still CM9?
 
I tried MIUI too, but it's too close to iPhone for my liking. If MIUI could give me a proper ICS look, I will certainly try it out again, but I doubtthat it can.

Nova launcher or Trebuchet launcher should solve that? I even had TouchWiz 4 for a short stretch...

Personally- nothing beats the functionality of MIUI for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X