Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotplug mode enabled? i.e. are both cores active?

Then again, it could be a multitude of settings' changes that could be causing the problem for you.. Are you using ExTweaks just out of curiosity?

Yes I am using ExTweaks. I've got Hotplug Enabled (Default). No Always on or always off setting.

EDIT: I just tried setting the 2nd core to always off and undervolt cpu by -50uV. Rebooted, and freezed within 20 secs after boot. Had to take out battery to reboot again
 
Last edited:
Nova launcher or Trebuchet launcher should solve that? I even had TouchWiz 4 for a short stretch...

Personally- nothing beats the functionality of MIUI for me.

Thanks - I might just give it another try. Do you have a link to the rom download please?


200mhz to 900mhz, with Pegasus

Bump up to 1000. There won't be a significant increase in battery usage. I think underclockin that much might be the cause. Post your other settings in ExTweaks too.
 
Current ExTweak settings:
CPU:
GENTLE FAIR SLEEPERS disabled
Hotplug mode: CPU Hotplug (defualt)
Idle mode: AFTR + LPA
Scaling level: 800MHz
SCHED_MC: 0
Undervolting: -25mV
Step count: 18
Governor: Pegasusq
Scaling max: 900mhz
Scaling min: 200mhz

GPU steps: 40, 133, 267MHz
Voltages: 850, 900, 950mV
Thresholds: 85%, 25%, 85%, 40%
GPU Staycount (1,2,3): 1sec

Android Logger enabled.
Default Scheduler: SIO.

That's the only settings I've messed with.
I will try switching the 2nd core always off, scaling between 100mhz - 1000mhz, undervolt -50mV and see how it goes. Any ideas?

I only use ExTweaks and not SetCPU or any other software
 
Thanks - I might just give it another try. Do you have a link to the rom download please?

This is the version of MIUI that I am running. Follow the instructions on the thread though (the numerous 10 minute windows) as it really makes a difference. Also- if battery life is bad, format your internal and external SD cards.
 
Current ExTweak settings:
CPU:
GENTLE FAIR SLEEPERS Enable
Hotplug mode: CPU Hotplug (defualt)
Idle mode: AFTR + LPA
Scaling level: 800MHz
SCHED_MC: 0
Undervolting: -25mV
Step count: 18
Governor: Pegasusq
Scaling max: 900mhz
Scaling min: 200mhz

GPU steps: 66, 133, 267MHz
Voltages: 900, 950, 1000mV
Thresholds: 85%, 25%, 85%, 40%
GPU Staycount (1,2,3): 1sec

Android Logger enabled.
Default Scheduler: SIO.

That's the only settings I've messed with.
I will try switching the 2nd core DEFAULT, scaling between 100mhz - 1000mhz, undervolt -50mV and see how it goes. Any ideas?

I only use ExTweaks and not SetCPU or any other software

Try the changes as in bold above
Gentle fair sleepers helps with deep sleep aparently. When I am on 3.3.2, I always enable it.
Keep the CPU hotplug on default. GM has tested switching it off and found no real improvements. Also, Pegasusq is specifically designed for multicore processors. So it would be better keeping it on default.

This is the version of MIUI that I am running. Follow the instructions on the thread though (the numerous 10 minute windows) as it really makes a difference. Also- if battery life is bad, format your internal and external SD cards.

Thanks
 
Whats the difference between downloading the miui rom from miui.com or miuiandroid.com?
 
How many hours of battery life do you guys get on average with the SGS2? I charged my phone overnight, and unplugged at about 6AM this morning. It has 15% battery left now. I don't have any airtime at the moment so I did not even use my phone today.
Some days it will last me from 7am to about 9pm with only browsing MyBB forum using the app. It can't make it from the time I unplug in the morning to the time I go to sleep without powering off. Is this normal?
I have the backlight set on Auto Brightness, with the timer on the lowest setting (10sec I think). I do have a few apps that auto update though.
 
If you have any email accounts on the phone, make sure you set it to update less frequently and install the siyah kernel. It improved my battery life by a huge amount.
 
7-9pm ?? i don't even get to midday, but I frequently use whatsapp/facebook/utorrent remote/dolphin browser/opera mini
 
How many hours of battery life do you guys get on average with the SGS2? I charged my phone overnight, and unplugged at about 6AM this morning. It has 15% battery left now. I don't have any airtime at the moment so I did not even use my phone today.
Some days it will last me from 7am to about 9pm with only browsing MyBB forum using the app. It can't make it from the time I unplug in the morning to the time I go to sleep without powering off. Is this normal?
I have the backlight set on Auto Brightness, with the timer on the lowest setting (10sec I think). I do have a few apps that auto update though.

I am quite a hectic user. Always have WiFi or 3G on. Whatsapp, odd call, SMS etc...
I used to get 2 to 3 days when I had my GS2.
You won't achieve decent time on a stock ROM though. Siyah kernel is the key.
 
I am quite a hectic user. Always have WiFi or 3G on. Whatsapp, odd call, SMS etc...
I used to get 2 to 3 days when I had my GS2.
You won't achieve decent time on a stock ROM though. Siyah kernel is the key.

Cool - so is it a huge effort to switch to Siyah kernel? Does that mean reboot and losing all my data?
 
Cool - so is it a huge effort to switch to Siyah kernel? Does that mean reboot and losing all my data?

No, it's a simple enough process. But make sure you are on ICS first! If not- same process as below, just need a ROM to do it with.

  • First ensure that you make a backup of your data. Call Log Backup & Restore, SMS Backup & Restore and App Backup & Restore are good apps to use to backup most of your stuff. Your photo's, videos etc can just be copied onto your PC.
  • Install your USB drivers onto your PC. You might want to install Samsung Kies for this, then uninstall it but do not remove the drivers. But I think the phone installs it automatically when connected?
  • Download Odin and the Siyah kernel. Make sure that you download the .TAR kernel file. Either way- make sure that Kies is not running when you perform the flashing.
  • Open Odin. It should open fine if your drivers are installed. Make sure that your phone is not connected via USB at this point.
  • Switch off your phone. Then reboot it into download mode by holding power + volume up + home. It should then ask you to press volume up (if I remember) to boot into download mode.
  • Connect your USB cable to your phone. Odin should now say "Detected!" and a yellow strip will appear with a COM port on it.
  • Select the PDA option on Odin, and search for the kernel you have downloaded.
  • Click "Start" and wait while it flashes and reboots. Done! You should now see SuperUser in your list of applications. From there, download ExTweaks from the market to start customising your profile.

EDIT: Reboot is required, but you shouldn't lose any data. Never hurts to backup though :)
 
Last edited:
With Siyah's kernel I'm dual-booting "Resurrection Remix" and "CM9 nightly" fine but can one dual-boot Resurrection Remix and MIUI?
 
I installed MIUI to the secondary rom and for some reason it thinks that it should use my external sd card for its installation. I also noticed during flashing that MIUI installs its own kernel so I would suggest installing it as the primary rom, but before reboot, flash Siyah again to retain the kernel and dual boot. Make nandroid backups before flashing
 
I installed MIUI to the secondary rom and for some reason it thinks that it should use my external sd card for its installation. I also noticed during flashing that MIUI installs its own kernel so I would suggest installing it as the primary rom, but before reboot, flash Siyah again to retain the kernel and dual boot. Make nandroid backups before flashing

But flashing the kernel onto the second ROM in CWM should fix this? However, I often flashed it as my secondary ROM without losing Siyah.

Also- the external SD card issue is an MIUI issue in general. Can be worked around with the Android gallery and a proper file explorer as opposed to the MIUI stuff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X