Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think it is android holding our smoothness back or is it just that the S2 hardware is getting a bit old?
In my opinion, a bit of both.

As good as the S2's hardware was in its hay-day, technology moves on. In relation to visual smoothness, look at the performance difference between the S2's Mail GPU vs the iPhone 5's PowerVR one ...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/11

Also Apple maintains much stricter QA standards in their dev ecosystem, so the likelihood of poor (visual) app code being released is lower.
 
Im a bit tired of my S2 now to be honest. Its a solid device and the amount of custom ROM's that I have loaded onto this thing in the last couple of months is borderlining on ridiculous. Omega still my fav.

Had my mates S3 in one hand and mine in the other, and there is definitely differences in performance and smoothness. Im a sucker for FPS and a smooth device, so Im longing a more recent device...

I will always keep my S2 though :love:
 
Im a bit tired of my S2 now to be honest. Its a solid device and the amount of custom ROM's that I have loaded onto this thing in the last couple of months is borderlining on ridiculous. Omega still my fav.

Had my mates S3 in one hand and mine in the other, and there is definitely differences in performance and smoothness. Im a sucker for FPS and a smooth device, so Im longing a more recent device...

I will always keep my S2 though :love:

I share your sentiments... not tired of it, but it has pushed me into wanting more. So expect me to be on the Nexus 4 thread in the near future...
 
I was hoping someone would bring up the S3, because it is a fantastic phone.

However, I have two "problems" with the S3 :

1. Let's face it, Corning only made Gorilla Glass 1 properly & sturdy. Now they're chasing profits and with Gorilla Glass 2 they're cutitng corners. It is flimsy. How many S3 cracked screen threads have we not seen here on MyBB??

2. The form factor of the S2 is perfect for me, cos I can actually do everything with one hand operation. S3 is just getting a tad too big for my hand, but it won't be a deal breaker.

I just feel the S2 is way more robust than the S3 and that is actually important to me. I had my "drop my phone out of pocket onto tar road" experience, and my S2 only has a tiny scratch from the ordeal.

Everything is superfast with JellyBean on my S2, so I just don't see the need to get another phone.
 
I was hoping someone would bring up the S3, because it is a fantastic phone.

However, I have two "problems" with the S3 :

1. Let's face it, Corning only made Gorilla Glass 1 properly & sturdy. Now they're chasing profits and with Gorilla Glass 2 they're cutitng corners. It is flimsy. How many S3 cracked screen threads have we not seen here on MyBB??

2. The form factor of the S2 is perfect for me, cos I can actually do everything with one hand operation. S3 is just getting a tad too big for my hand, but it won't be a deal breaker.

I just feel the S2 is way more robust than the S3 and that is actually important to me. I had my "drop my phone out of pocket onto tar road" experience, and my S2 only has a tiny scratch from the ordeal.

Everything is superfast with JellyBean on my S2, so I just don't see the need to get another phone.

I agree with you for the most part.

I have seen first hand how easily the S3 screen cracks in comparison to the S2. And the S2 certainly has a much better form factor. I don't really like this hyperglaze look that Samsung are going with, even if ergonomically it is outstanding.

But I do want a Nexus 4. It is as gorgeous an Android phone as they come.
 
I agree with you for the most part.

I have seen first hand how easily the S3 screen cracks in comparison to the S2. And the S2 certainly has a much better form factor. I don't really like this hyperglaze look that Samsung are going with, even if ergonomically it is outstanding.

But I do want a Nexus 4. It is as gorgeous an Android phone as they come.

I also want a Nexus 4 :(

I must say I much prefer the stock Android feel to Samsungs Touchwiziness.
 
I also want a Nexus 4 :(

I must say I much prefer the stock Android feel to Samsungs Touchwiziness.

This is my main reason as to why I want a Nexus device. Vanilla Android is a wonderful thing :D and yes, I really did give Touchwiz a try. I just couldn't like it as much as I do AOSP. Touchwiz was designed by programmers, this much is evident. Functional, yet far from beautiful.

I actually find vanilla Android a pain in the butt, cos I want my SPlanner calendar widget and app!! And my SmartStay! and more Samsung goodies. :)

Ironically enough, I actually do miss the S-Planner. Fantastic application, nothing quite like it out there. The rest- I can live without :)
 
What? Didn't they tweak anything? Are the MD5 sums the same?

Yeah man, didn't you check first?

SameROMS_zps235602ea.jpg
 
Yeah man, didn't you check first?

SameROMS_zps235602ea.jpg

I saw that. It doesn't mean it is exactly the same. It merely carries the same reference being LSD. Only if the checksums are the same would it be identical.

Anyway, every Netherlands fw I tried in the past was rock solid so I hope it will be the same this time and that is why I prefer this over other countries' firmware.
 
I'm due for an upgrade in August/September and will probably be moving on then, as much as I love my S2 I don't think I will be as happy with it in another 2 years making it 4 years old. Tbh this will be the first phone that I have kept for 2 years, the rest were all about one year. I will probably get the S4 or new nexus device then, that's why I was asking about whether you guys think its android holding back the smoothness etc or the hardware, I'm not to keen on the idea of moving over to apple even though I hear it's really smooth. I'm assuming the S4 and the next Nexus will offer some really impressive hardware.
 
I'm also on a similar page. The iPhones can't be faulted for their smoothness, but it's a boring Os, everything else about Android I prefer any day!

Also due for upgrade in august, will have to see what's available, may go for a nexus device.
 
I'm also on a similar page. The iPhones can't be faulted for their smoothness, but it's a boring Os, everything else about Android I prefer any day!

Also due for upgrade in august, will have to see what's available, may go for a nexus device.

Exactly why I would prefer a smooth android :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X