Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill try clearing the maps data. isn't there supposed to be an option in gmaps or gnav to change the voice from male to female or was i dreaming when i saw that?

as for the widgets, it wasn't just text. had the whatsapp icon and a number next to it indicating unread messages. There was a screenshot of what im looking for but for the life of me I cannot find it.

I also find the female voice more piercing (so you can hear it better). Geeves is a bit soft-spoken :D

To do this you must change your global text-to-speech settings under Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Google Text-to-speech Engine settings -> Language -> English (US)
 
In my experience, if you want a trouble free experience with a new ROM, its best to completely obliterate every last vestige of any previous ROM & apps.

I use GS2ROMNuke, then format internal & external sdcards for good measure. Then load the ROM and re-download all apps (e.g. from Play) and re-configre them all manually (no restores).

I do exactly the same.
 
ill try clearing the maps data. isn't there supposed to be an option in gmaps or gnav to change the voice from male to female or was i dreaming when i saw that?

I'm sure you can, have never checked this myself...

as for the widgets, it wasn't just text. had the whatsapp icon and a number next to it indicating unread messages. There was a screenshot of what im looking for but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Maybe you are referring to DashClock? It has a Facebook plugin as well...
 
Maybe you are referring to DashClock? It has a Facebook plugin as well...
+1 for DashClock, its the champ of lockscreen widgets.

Its like an entire ecosystem on its own, you can find an extension for almost everything. Even independant apps are incorporating DashClock support e.g. the 1Weather app I use.
 
Last edited:
+1 for DashClock, its the champ of lockscreen widgets.

Its like an entire ecosystem on its own, you can find an extension for almost everything. Even independant apps are incorporating DashClock support e.g. the 1Weather app I use.

Now if only they can make a ticker style lockscreen widget, that runs through all your different messages / call logs / calendar events etc...

But DashClock is pretty impressive, and has built up a huge following in a very short period of time.
 
Im having a problem. It is not picking up my sim. It did. but i did something (didnt change anything that looked like it had to do with sim stuff) and now it doesnt pick up my sim.

its a new sim so it is compatible with jb.

any input?

else il just rewipe n flash
 
Im having a problem. It is not picking up my sim. It did. but i did something (didnt change anything that looked like it had to do with sim stuff) and now it doesnt pick up my sim.

its a new sim so it is compatible with jb.

any input?

else il just rewipe n flash

What did you change though?
 
Im having a problem. It is not picking up my sim. It did. but i did something (didnt change anything that looked like it had to do with sim stuff) and now it doesnt pick up my sim.

its a new sim so it is compatible with jb.

any input?

else il just rewipe n flash

Did you take it out recently?

Just make sure it is properly slotted in the sim card slot, then switch on again and see if it works.
 
In my experience, if you want a trouble free experience with a new ROM, its best to completely obliterate every last vestige of any previous ROM & apps.

I use GS2ROMNuke, then format internal & external sdcards for good measure. Then load the ROM and re-download all apps (e.g. from Play) and re-configre them all manually (no restores).

I'm running on CM10.1 and its rock solid and smooth even though I update every other day to the new nightly. I figure the reason why my 'supposedly experimental' ROM is so stable is due to there being no baggage from the past to confuse/corrupt it.

I'm always such a noob every time I have to do this.

I need to root my phone to run G22ROMNuke, can I use any kernel to root my phone? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

EDIt: Info from my phone...

I9100XXLQ6

3.0.15-i9100XWLPT-CL941023
dpi@DELL 169 #3

IMM76D.XWLPT
 
Last edited:
If you dont have a Kernel with Recovery (CWM) you have to flash a kernel with it built in using Odin afaik. For example, download Siyah kernel .TAR file and flash it using Odin. Then you're free to flash any ROM/Kernel of your choice. Anyone is welcome to correct me :-)
 
Speaking of Dashclock, I did a data reset on the app to try and get the settings button back. Now everything is different. It doesnt display emails and extentions at the bottom like it used to, everthying is displayed in a little icon on the side of the clock. Anyone know what thats about?
 
Speaking of Dashclock, I did a data reset on the app to try and get the settings button back. Now everything is different. It doesnt display emails and extentions at the bottom like it used to, everthying is displayed in a little icon on the side of the clock. Anyone know what thats about?

Go to Phone Settings - Lockscreen - Maximise Widgets and see if it's checked.

That's the only thing I can think of now.
 
I'm always such a noob every time I have to do this.

I need to root my phone to run G22ROMNuke, can I use any kernel to root my phone? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

EDIt: Info from my phone...

I9100XXLQ6

3.0.15-i9100XWLPT-CL941023
dpi@DELL 169 #3

IMM76D.XWLPT

That looks like an ICS stock. Looks like you want to install a custom rom, so in theory you can flash any kernel compatible with the i9100 and the stock rom you currently have. You can download the corresponding CF-Root kernel from the thread you posted, I would rather go for what Carr0t said.

Remember that the moment you use RomNuke, you must flash another rom immediately afterwards.

If I am not mistaken, there is an app by Chainfire that can root your S2 without having to go through Odin, but you would have to search for it on XDA

EDIT: see post #8813
 
Last edited:
can I use any kernel to root my phone?
Ya pretty much, since its only temporary. Virtually every custom ROM is bundled with a kernel, so as soon as you install it, it will overwrite whatever kernel you just flashed to do the install.

I would say though, if you're going to do a file system blitz, make sure the kernel you chose has a working USB Mount feature in Recovery (with the PC containing your new ROM).

Once all your file systems are formatted, you're going to need a way of getting the new ROM onto the phone, and its easier just copying over USB than having to eject an ext sdcard to copy on other device (assuming you have one).
 
Last edited:
I also find the female voice more piercing (so you can hear it better). Geeves is a bit soft-spoken :D

To do this you must change your global text-to-speech settings under Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Google Text-to-speech Engine settings -> Language -> English (US)

For anyone that is looking for better sounding voices, install Ivona Text-to-Speech HQ in Play Store, then install Ivona Amy UK voice. Sounds very pleasant for a robot voice :)
 
So suddenly my phone and computer does not recognize each other when connecting via the USB cable. It charges but that's it. Any ideas why this has suddenly happened? I want to install Slimrom, but am now stuck.

I am on stock Spain JB 4.1.2 and unrooted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X