Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this sounds stupid but a PC and phone restart usually solves that problem when I have it.
 
So suddenly my phone and computer does not recognize each other when connecting via the USB cable. It charges but that's it. Any ideas why this has suddenly happened? I want to install Slimrom, but am now stuck.

I am on stock Spain JB 4.1.2 and unrooted.

On the phone:
When you plug in the cable, top left of the phone screen should be a USB connected icon. Pull down the notification bar and tap the USB connected notification. At the bottom should be a "Turn on USB storage" button - tap that. The drives should now pop up on your PC/Laptop.

On PC/Laptop:
Sometimes you have to manage the drive letters on the PC/Laptop. See if you can manually assign drive letters.
 
Last edited:
On the phone:
When you plug in the cable, top left of the phone screen should be a USB connected icon. Pull down the notification bar and tap the USB connected notification. At the bottom should be a "Turn on ESB storage" button - tap that. The drives should now pop up on your PC/Laptop.

On PC/Laptop:
Sometimes you have to manage the drive letters on the PC/Laptop. See if you can manually assign drive letters.

It does not give me the USB connected icon anymore.
 
So suddenly my phone and computer does not recognize each other when connecting via the USB cable. It charges but that's it. Any ideas why this has suddenly happened? I want to install Slimrom, but am now stuck.

I am on stock Spain JB 4.1.2 and unrooted.

Can't you see the phone in Windows Explorer at all?
 
It does not give me the USB connected icon anymore.

On the Phone: I don't know if you will have the function on stock, but reboot into recovery of the phone and fix permissions.

On the Laptop/PC: Install Kies to get the drivers on your laptop/PC

Report back
 
Go to Settings - More Settings - USB utilities - Enable mass storage mode.

Have you checked USB debugging under Developer Options?

Under More setting - USB utilities, I get the following: When I click on Connect storage to PC I get "Connect USB cable to use mass storage" although the USB is connected.
 
On the Phone: I don't know if you will have the function on stock, but reboot into recovery of the phone and fix permissions.

On the Laptop/PC: Install Kies to get the drivers on your laptop/PC

Report back
The phone is unrooted so I do not see that option when rebooting into recovery
 
Under More setting - USB utilities, I get the following: When I click on Connect storage to PC I get "Connect USB cable to use mass storage" although the USB is connected.

This is odd. Seems like a mounting issue.

If you do this with the cable out, and reconnecting the cable when prompted, what happens?

EDIT: ignore
[-]Also, I agree with OGroteKoning- reboot into recovery, and fix permissions. Perhaps wipe the cache and dalvik cache for good measure.[/-]
 
Last edited:
This is odd. Seems like a mounting issue.

If you do this with the cable out, and reconnecting the cable when prompted, what happens?

I tried this now, but nothing happens. It only shows that it is charging and I get that sound indicating that it connected to the USB cable.

Very frustrating!
 
Last edited:
Under More setting - USB utilities, I get the following: When I click on Connect storage to PC I get "Connect USB cable to use mass storage" although the USB is connected.

If you go into your PC's control panel settings, can you see the Autoplay settings listed for your Galaxy S2 and what they are?

Autoplay_zpsa84c0fa0.jpg
 
I tried this now, but nothing happens. It only shows that it is charging and I get that sound indicating that it connected to the USB cable.

Very frustrating!

Go here (on phone) and download ExynosAbuse. Install it. There is an option to root the phone. After rooting, go into recovery and see if the option to fix permissions is there. If not, your phone should be rooted and you would be able to install a modified kernel which will give you the option.

The apk you are downloading is NOT MALICIOUS - it was designed by Chainfire to help people determine if their phones are exploitable.
 
Go here (on phone) and download ExynosAbuse. Install it. There is an option to root the phone. After rooting, go into recovery and see if the option to fix permissions is there. If not, your phone should be rooted and you would be able to install a modified kernel which will give you the option.

The apk you are downloading is NOT MALICIOUS - it was designed by Chainfire to help people determine if their phones are exploitable.

Downloaded, but when I select option to root it says "Failure: Could not root device" :wtf:
 
Downloaded, but when I select option to root it says "Failure: Could not root device" :wtf:

It was worth a try - just uninstall the app.

You might have said it before, but what firmware are you on? In the dialler, type *#1234# and tell us what it says
 
Yes it is listed there : "Ask me everytime"

Ok, that sounds good.

Have you tried plugging the USB cable into a different USB port?

Also, are you using a laptop? If so, make sure there's no power saving mode active, might switch off USB ports to save power when on battery.
 
It was worth a try - just uninstall the app.

You might have said it before, but what firmware are you on? In the dialler, type *#1234# and tell us what it says
PDA: I9100XWLSD
PHONE: I9100XXLS8
CSCI9100FOPLS4
 
So suddenly my phone and computer does not recognize each other when connecting via the USB cable. It charges but that's it. Any ideas why this has suddenly happened? I want to install Slimrom, but am now stuck.

I am on stock Spain JB 4.1.2 and unrooted.

Before you go through all the rooting, loading a new custom ROM, etc. - have you switched off your pc and phone and switched it back on?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X