Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when my jig arrives, I would be more than willing to lend it out to anyone that needs it in the JHB/Eastrand area.

OK, now being an Android noob... what do you guys use for playing your Windows shared files over Wi-Fi?
I have tried "AndSMB", which is great for browsing network files, but you need to save the file to internal/SD memory before playing the file.
On my Touch HD I could use "HTC Network Plugin", which worked great.

what kind of files will those be, cause for that i used that allshare but for files like music, movies and stuff
 
It's strange that the pay-in they quoted you is so high.
I upgraded a Talk130 @ R315 /month, and I only paid in R2299.

So the price I was given on upgrade for the s2 is R430pm on the talk 240 with a R2500 payin so the grand total comes to R12820. :sick: Owell I will have to bite the bullet.

Hasn't arrived yet.
Have you tested it yet?
 
Last edited:
No, I haven't yet. In all honesty I barely have the time to read up about stuff I want to do. :( I first want to backup my existing stock ROM so that I can restore it later if I need to send the phone in for repairs. I haven't had the time to research it fully. Have you perhaps done that yet?
 
Nope, not gonna root or change ROMS until I have the jig - just in case :D
I will probably use Titanium Backup to do a ROM backup, but it requires root.
 
Nope, not gonna root or change ROMS until I have the jig - just in case :D
I will probably use Titanium Backup to do a ROM backup, but it requires root.

That is exactly what I'm waiting for as well. :) NanDroid requires root as well. Will just have to unroot before it is sent in then. Everything should then be the same, except the counter of course.
 
Since this is my first droid, I don't YET have the burning desire to root and install a custom ROM...
That is gonna change though :D
 
So, the SGS2 is a beast of a machine.
What do you guys use to show-off the phone - apps, games, HD video trailers, phone capabilities, etc?

I think the full HD (1080p) is an awesome feature in a mobile phone.
 
I am currently running 2.3.4 KG1 (Stock), was a very easy install via ODIN. I can say that the battery does last longer and it supports google video which is nice. If you need a stock ROM just download from //www.samfirmware.com and your set, when I got my phone i was running KE7 and really noticing the difference.
 
I am currently running 2.3.4 KG1 (Stock), was a very easy install via ODIN. I can say that the battery does last longer and it supports google video which is nice. If you need a stock ROM just download from //www.samfirmware.com and your set, when I got my phone i was running KE7 and really noticing the difference.

Awesome. I might just be tempted to do it. I'm assuming you used the instructions given on the site? How did you backup your original ROM? I'm very cautious so want to make sure I have a working backup for warranty purposes.:o
 
Last edited:
Awesome. I might just be tempted to do it. I'm assuming you used the instructions given on the site? How did you backup your original ROM?

I followed this guide to flash to 2.3.4 firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

You can download the firmware here: http://www.multiupload.com/2EMBQMYF4V

Make sure you back up EVERYTHING it will restore the phone to its original state but ofc with the new firmware. This is stock firmware that was leaked by Samsung so you wont expect any nasty surprises.

Screenshot of my phone:

I dont have a custom ROM installed and I dont know when I will root my phone and start playing with ROM's

If you want to flash back to a previous version firmware download from http://www.samfirmware.com

If you need help just ask but its very easy and took me longer to download the firmware than to do actual flash
 
I followed this guide to flash to 2.3.4 firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

You can download the firmware here: http://www.multiupload.com/2EMBQMYF4V

Make sure you back up EVERYTHING it will restore the phone to its original state but ofc with the new firmware. This is stock firmware that was leaked by Samsung so you wont expect any nasty surprises.

Screenshot of my phone:

I dont have a custom ROM installed and I dont know when I will root my phone and start playing with ROM's

If you want to flash back to a previous version firmware download from http://www.samfirmware.com

If you need help just ask but its very easy and took me longer to download the firmware than to do actual flash

What did you use to backup your stock ROM and apps and restore it to the new ROM? Ti backup?
 
What did you use to backup your stock ROM and apps and restore it to the new ROM? Ti backup?

I used MyBackup. You can download it from the market, you get a 30 day free trail and after that you need to buy it (+-R40) but its worth it. Works on rooted and none rooted phones with a easy to use interface. One problem that I faced is that it did not back up my contacts only those synced with Google but luckily i had a saved .csv contacts file that i just imported to my google account and then synced it with phone. I use GO Launcher and any chances you make in there you will have to back up separately - do this with every app where you have a back up options.

I hope this doesn't put you off of flashing to 2.3.4 but for some reason I cant connect to Kies on my PC, it just continues to say connecting but never does. I absolutely HATE the Kies software so this does not bother me. I will from now on always flash new/updated firmware via ODIN.

Swift which case did you order? Also found this case http://www.expansys.co.za/case-mate-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-tough-cases-black-218855/ if you need your phone to be like a tank, prolly made for construction workers, there are reviews on Youtube of this case and I must say it is very impressive, blows all other cases away if you can stand the added width it adds.
 
I used MyBackup. You can download it from the market, you get a 30 day free trail and after that you need to buy it (+-R40) but its worth it. Works on rooted and none rooted phones with a easy to use interface. One problem that I faced is that it did not back up my contacts only those synced with Google but luckily i had a saved .csv contacts file that i just imported to my google account and then synced it with phone. I use GO Launcher and any chances you make in there you will have to back up separately - do this with every app where you have a back up options.

I hope this doesn't put you off of flashing to 2.3.4 but for some reason I cant connect to Kies on my PC, it just continues to say connecting but never does. I absolutely HATE the Kies software so this does not bother me. I will from now on always flash new/updated firmware via ODIN.

Swift which case did you order? Also found this case http://www.expansys.co.za/case-mate-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-tough-cases-black-218855/ if you need your phone to be like a tank, prolly made for construction workers, there are reviews on Youtube of this case and I must say it is very impressive, blows all other cases away if you can stand the added width it adds.

Great. Thanks for the info. I have ordered the SGP Neo Hybrid. I took a look at that case but the Neo-hybrid just looks better IMO.
 
Great. Thanks for the info. I have ordered the SGP Neo Hybrid. I took a look at that case but the Neo-hybrid just looks better IMO.

Same here and i just got an email seems like its already out for shipping :D

now its back to the device mmm still have to save up till next week or so when i get to go pick up my Samsung Galaxy S2.

@Swift what color did u order?
 
Same here and i just got an email seems like its already out for shipping :D

now its back to the device mmm still have to save up till next week or so when i get to go pick up my Samsung Galaxy S2.

What colour did you go for? When i ordered, I could only choose between red and yellow... I have asked for white and am waiting for SGP to confirm stock.
 
Same here and i just got an email seems like its already out for shipping :D

now its back to the device mmm still have to save up till next week or so when i get to go pick up my Samsung Galaxy S2.

@Swift what color did u order?

I ordered the red one. I was going to go for black but the red appealed to me a bit more. Nice man. Do let us know how long shipping took when you get it.

I can't wait for my case and USB jig to arrive. :D
 
What colour did you go for? When i ordered, I could only choose between red and yellow... I have asked for white and am waiting for SGP to confirm stock.

SGP Samsung Galaxy S2 Case Neo Hybrid Series Color Dante Red | red and black my Favorite color. well they had that in stock so mine is already out for shipping


@Swift-wp well same here i wanted the black one as well but seemed like something was missing so the red one kind off impressed me, well they emailed me the shipping number and a confirmation email that it's out for shipping.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X