Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know that flashing a different ROM voids your warranty right? I'm not sure if this applies to leaked Samsung official as well though.

I'm having an issue with the phone. I want to know if any of you guys have experienced the same thing. Sometimes when the data connection dies, it asks me to enter my pin again. It has happened twice so far. Has this happened to someone else as well? I have the VC branded SGS2 running KE7.

I haven't experienced this.
 
You do know that flashing a different ROM voids your warranty right? I'm not sure if this applies to leaked Samsung official as well though.

I'm having an issue with the phone. I want to know if any of you guys have experienced the same thing. Sometimes when the data connection dies, it asks me to enter my pin again. It has happened twice so far. Has this happened to someone else as well? I have the VC branded SGS2 running KE7.

I'm aware of the questions around warranty, and it's a risk I've accepted. Anyway... it's easy enough just to flash back to stock firmware and reset the download count. Samsung wouldn't know the difference.
 
I have not seen any problems since installing 2.3.4, only better battery life and improved WiFi strength all in all very good. Yes the csc is related to your geographical location but you might wait very long for the official release for with csc so the stock 2.3.4 is good enough for me.

What is the difference between cyanogemod and villain ROM 2.0? I haven't even rooted the phone since im worried about warranty but I'm itching to do it.

CyanogenMod is compiled from the android source code, and have some great customizations built in you would not get on other builds. It's not based on any existing Samsung firmwares as far as I know. One thing to keep in mind, that it would not have TouchWiz - most people prefer other launchers anyway. I use Go Launcher EX myself, it's way better than Touchwiz IMHO.

If you're worried about warranty, it may be better to stick to official ROMS - as far as I know the download count for the device would not be affected then. (I'm keeping my Andoidized HD2 just in case....).

It's easy enough to just reload official firmware back on the device before one takes the device in for a warranty claim (provided that the device is still operational enough :D). Even the custom software download count can be reset relatively easy (USB Jig).
 
leaked firmware does not void your warranty.

My Custom Binary Count is No, when you flash a custom ROM this will show 1 or how many times you have flashed a custom ROM. It also says Official Samsung Firmware.

So feel free to flash new firmware via ODIN without the worry of voiding your warranty.
 
I am having a problem with my gmail. I don't get any notifications for my gmail and my emails are not being pushed to my phone. But my work email and Live emails gets pushed immediately. Actually, my work emails are shown first on phone before in Outlook:-) .

I've deleted cache, rebooted and even deleted account. Nothing helped. Any advice?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MyBroadband Android App
 
I am having a problem with my gmail. I don't get any notifications for my gmail and my emails are not being pushed to my phone. But my work email and Live emails gets pushed immediately. Actually, my work emails are shown first on phone before in Outlook:-) .

I've deleted cache, rebooted and even deleted account. Nothing helped. Any advice?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MyBroadband Android App

See 1 page back about notifications.
Check under "Accounts and Sync" if your Gmail mail service is ticked to be synced.
Or maybe there is some setting under the Gmail App.

If all else fails, hard reset the phone...
 
My Steinheil Ultra Crystal Case finally arrived today :)
I ordered from gutkoreainc on ebay on May 27... today is July 14... it came close to R100 including shipping.
Didnt try installing as yet, I want to read up a bit more, and see some videos as well, few guys on XDA messed up their installation, and I have a knack of being part of those "few" guys.

So have any of you installed your screen protector in a steamed up bathroom?
 
I'm getting mine on MTN350 @ R479.00, incl. 75MB data.
Finally managed to get through to someone that knew about the "deal" for the SGS2...
Just phone MTN 808, and ask to speak to someone in retentions department (I think its only for upgrade clients, but not sure, not going to kill you if you try )
No pay-ins, so yeh, I'm happy...
Atm, I am on MTN350 @ R489.00 no data with my N97, so yeh, as I said, I'm a happy chappy... Just waiting for the damn phone to arrive now...

Cheers
D

(Sorry again for cross posting, maybe a mod should like combine all Samsung Galaxy S2 threads into 1...)
 
Are you going to order from SGP as well?

One thing that irritates me is that when I have power saving mode enabled and it's screen timeout is set to 15 seconds, it will change my normal screen timeout to 15s as well when it goes into power saving. When the phone is not in power saving anymore, it will still have the 15s setting enabled and I have to change it back to 30s. SOOOOO IRRITATING!

I noticed that as well,but was too busy admiring the rest of the features too worry o_O had to google how to make a call though :-D not sure about the screen protector, hoping the cell shops will get stock soon as they seem to be catching up a bit now.
 
[EDIT]: oops, can't seem to edit my post above...

Just received a call from the couriers, it(SGS2) will get delivered to ME @ my work on Monday :) :) :)
Also got a sms for veriifcation
D
 
Does anyone know whether the SA version has NFC?
The sales consultant said that the device capable, but did not know what NFC was the previous time I was in the shop.
 
My Steinheil Ultra Crystal Case finally arrived today :)
I ordered from gutkoreainc on ebay on May 27... today is July 14... it came close to R100 including shipping.
Didnt try installing as yet, I want to read up a bit more, and see some videos as well, few guys on XDA messed up their installation, and I have a knack of being part of those "few" guys.

So have any of you installed your screen protector in a steamed up bathroom?

Just make sure yr screen is dust free, clean it then clean it then clean it again, then give it a wipe, check for dust, clean it one more time and slap on the protector.
 
get and app , there is an app for everything I had and app that used to help with that just hope its still listed under the android market.
 
Has anyone get the S2 to work with virgin mobile internet setting?
i can make calls and send/receive sms's but no internet ect.
phone works fine with my old mtn sim card.

Name : Virgin WAP GPRS

APN : vdata

Proxy : 196.31.116.241

Port : 8080

Username : <not set>

Password : <not set>

Server : <not set>

MMSC : http://mms.virginmobile.co.za

MMS proxy : 196.31.116.242:8080

MMS port : 8080

MCC : 655

MNC : 07

Authentication type : PAP

APN type : internet + mms
 
Last edited:
Is this going to be the OFFICIAL SGS2 thread?

Seems like I am going to end up rooting my phone sooner than I thought.
I still haven't managed to find a app that allows me to play my files off my Windows file server. Many apps with SMB plugins allow browsing of network shares, but then you can only copy or download most file types. I want to be able to access the files directly.
It looks like CifsManager will do what I need it to do - but needs root.
https://market.android.com/details?id=ws.plattner.cifsmanager&feature=search_result
 
My Steinheil Ultra Crystal Case finally arrived today :)
I ordered from gutkoreainc on ebay on May 27... today is July 14... it came close to R100 including shipping.
Didnt try installing as yet, I want to read up a bit more, and see some videos as well, few guys on XDA messed up their installation, and I have a knack of being part of those "few" guys.

So have any of you installed your screen protector in a steamed up bathroom?

I installed a Case Mate screen protector on my SGS2 using both the 'steamed up' bathroom and my trusty 'little-bit-o-dishwashing-liquid-in-a-spray-bottle' method that I use on all my sticker applications. After applying the protector, moisture will be trapped under the protector, but this can be squeezed out even after a few hours.

The experience gained when applying screen protectors to my Nokia 5800 help me with my SGS2's protector. After going through 5 screen protectors on my 5800 trying to stick them on without using the previous methods, I managed to place my last one on in next to no time and without a single bubble or a single dust particle being trapped under the protector. I gave it an hour or so to allow the moisture, that I could not squeeze out, to dissapate.

In in hindsight, I don't think the steamed up bathroom is really that necessary when using the spray bottle method as any dust particles are squeezed out with the water, but there's no harm in doing both.

***DISCLAIMER: Use water on your phone at your own risk.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X