Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

Got mine from MTN Canal Walk (the store near House and Home). R339 on Anytime 200 or R439 on Anytime 350. Both include 75MBx24 data.

Was also quoted by the other Canal Walk store (by Edgars) - same price for the 200 (but only 10MB), and R479 for Anytime 350 + 75MB.

Both have stock.


Thanks SGS - I'll head off there after work and see how I go!
 
Swift, how did you come on with the Route66 Sync software?
I get it to recognise the SGS2, but then it says that there is no nav software on the device?
The program is very slow and basic for routing functions.

Well I got it to connect to the phone after putting the phone in USB storage mode. That is about how far I got. It also gave me the message saying that there is no navigation software installed, and when I try to install it, there is no version for the SGS2. I didn't have much time to play around with it. I will let you know if I actually get it to sync the maps on the phone.
 
Oh ok. So is that extra charge basically the pay-in spread over a period of months?

Pretty much. So on the Anytime 200, that's a R200 contract. You're therefore paying in an extra R139 every month. That's an effective pay-in of R3336 over the contract period.

(Okay, if you take the data into account its more like R2k or something, but same idea. You can do the calcs :))
 
Pretty much. So on the Anytime 200, that's a R200 contract. You're therefore paying in an extra R139 every month. That's an effective pay-in of R3336 over the contract period.

(Okay, if you take the data into account its more like R2k or something, but same idea. You can do the calcs :))

Aaah ok. Thanks. :)
 
Just received my SGP Ultra Capsule case and SGP oleophobic screen protectors from SGP on Tuesday (priority shipping ordered last Sunday).. Very nice case, but the screen protector is not so impressive with regard to finger marks and oil.. It's very clear but needs wiping every now and then more than just the naked screen needed. Tempted to try the Crystal clear screen protector that came with the case but meh.. I dunno.
 
There are some MTN stores that have the phone on MTN 200 (Anytime or TopUp) for R279 while others have it on the same package, but for R339.
I called MTN Direct and they confirmed the R279 subs. I'm told it has to do with the fact that some stores are franchises whereas other are MTN Service Centres.
Very strange.
 
I got my phone for 2 days now; first time android user. So I've got a question. My gmail app does not indicate when new messages arrived, but new messages are shown on the notifications bar. Any ideas what could be wrong?

PS: The Samsung email app does indicate number off unread messages on icon.
 
I got my phone for 2 days now; first time android user. So I've got a question. My gmail app does not indicate when new messages arrived, but new messages are shown on the notifications bar. Any ideas what could be wrong?

PS: The Samsung email app does indicate number off unread messages on icon.

The Gmail icon does not show a number for unread mail.

Instead, download the Gmail widget, delete the gmail icon and add the widget to your desktop.

It looks exactly like the icon, although you can change it, and will display a red number for unread mail.

Search for it in the Android Market.
 
battery life, and how long does it take to charge.
Can you operate it while charging.
Does it make that hard beep when fully charge.
 
The Gmail icon does not show a number for unread mail.
Instead, download the Gmail widget, delete the gmail icon and add the widget to your desktop.
It looks exactly like the icon, although you can change it, and will display a red number for unread mail.
Search for it in the Android Market.

Thanks, will try that. Phone charging at the moment. Been playing to much with the new gadget:D
 
battery life, and how long does it take to charge.
Can you operate it while charging.
Does it make that hard beep when fully charge.

Battery life is much improved if you are running on Gingerbread 2.3.4

Yes you can operate while in charge for example when you are watching a movie

Yes it does but you can avoid that by flashing a custom ROM
 
I followed this guide to flash to 2.3.4 firmware: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

You can download the firmware here: http://www.multiupload.com/2EMBQMYF4V

Make sure you back up EVERYTHING it will restore the phone to its original state but ofc with the new firmware. This is stock firmware that was leaked by Samsung so you wont expect any nasty surprises.

Does your CSC show correctly and is the navigation software still working after flashing 2.3.4?

After flashing Villainrom 2.0 yesterday (based on 2.3.4 stock) (I also updated the modem), my CSC was shown as "UNKNOWN" The effect was that the Navigation software (Drive & Walk) did not work any more... I restored my backup and everythings back to normal and working again. Just trying to confirm what you experienced, before I download the leaked 2.3.4 version.

[EDIT] Do you have any idea where I could download/get the OJCKE1 CSC? It would be nice to have that as a backup to fall back to, so I can have more freedom to play around.
 
Last edited:
Does your CSC show correctly and is the navigation software still working after flashing 2.3.4?

After flashing Villainrom 2.0 yesterday (based on 2.3.4 stock) (I also updated the modem), my CSC was shown as "UNKNOWN" The effect was that the Navigation software (Drive & Walk) did not work any more... I restored my backup and everythings back to normal and working again. Just trying to confirm what you experienced, before I download the leaked 2.3.4 version.

[EDIT] Do you have any idea where I could download/get the OJCKE1 CSC? It would be nice to have that as a backup to fall back to, so I can have more freedom to play around.

I just found out a few days ago that drive & Walk isent even in the leaked 2.3.4 ROM, remember this is most likely a beta ROM. If you arent happy with the 2.3.4 firmware just flash a previous version via ODIN, i know KF2 is very stable.

Villain 2.0 is based off of 2.3.4 so there is a chance drive & walk is not included. Regarding the csc, everything seems normal.

Villain ROM seems to be best IMO, a lot of support comes with that ROM and very active developers.
 
There are some MTN stores that have the phone on MTN 200 (Anytime or TopUp) for R279 while others have it on the same package, but for R339.
I called MTN Direct and they confirmed the R279 subs. I'm told it has to do with the fact that some stores are franchises whereas other are MTN Service Centres.
Very strange.

I phoned MTN Direct today and they said it R279 on Mtn 100 and R339 on Mtn 200
 
I just found out a few days ago that drive & Walk isent even in the leaked 2.3.4 ROM, remember this is most likely a beta ROM. If you arent happy with the 2.3.4 firmware just flash a previous version via ODIN, i know KF2 is very stable.

Villain 2.0 is based off of 2.3.4 so there is a chance drive & walk is not included. Regarding the csc, everything seems normal.

Villain ROM seems to be best IMO, a lot of support comes with that ROM and very active developers.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought that the Drive&Walk software would be part of the CSC... sounds like I may have gotten it wrong.

From http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278:
CSC is the consumer software customisation and is specific to geographical region and carriers. It contains the software packages specific to that region, carrier branding and also APN settings for data connection, MMS etc for your service provider.


The idea was that if I flash 2.3.4 and my CSC still shows correctly, that I would still have the navigation software. I'll install the download the 2.3.4 stock anyway to see what happens.

By the way, I know there's work on porting CyanogenMod to the SGSII. Hopefully we'll have an official port soon! Been using CyanogenMod on my HD2 for ages (i've only had a Samsung for 1.5 days now, and it's awesome so far)
 
Thanks for the feedback. I thought that the Drive&Walk software would be part of the CSC... sounds like I may have gotten it wrong.

From http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278:
CSC is the consumer software customisation and is specific to geographical region and carriers. It contains the software packages specific to that region, carrier branding and also APN settings for data connection, MMS etc for your service provider.


The idea was that if I flash 2.3.4 and my CSC still shows correctly, that I would still have the navigation software. I'll install the download the 2.3.4 stock anyway to see what happens.

By the way, I know there's work on porting CyanogenMod to the SGSII. Hopefully we'll have an official port soon! Been using CyanogenMod on my HD2 for ages (I've only had a Samsung for 1.5 days now, and it's awesome so far)

I have not seen any problems since installing 2.3.4, only better battery life and improved WiFi strength all in all very good. Yes the csc is related to your geographical location but you might wait very long for the official release for with csc so the stock 2.3.4 is good enough for me.

What is the difference between cyanogemod and villain ROM 2.0? I haven't even rooted the phone since im worried about warranty but I'm itching to do it.
 
I have not seen any problems since installing 2.3.4, only better battery life and improved WiFi strength all in all very good. Yes the csc is related to your geographical location but you might wait very long for the official release for with csc so the stock 2.3.4 is good enough for me.

What is the difference between cyanogemod and villain ROM 2.0? I haven't even rooted the phone since im worried about warranty but I'm itching to do it.

You do know that flashing a different ROM voids your warranty right? I'm not sure if this applies to leaked Samsung official as well though.

I'm having an issue with the phone. I want to know if any of you guys have experienced the same thing. Sometimes when the data connection dies, it asks me to enter my pin again. It has happened twice so far. Has this happened to someone else as well? I have the VC branded SGS2 running KE7.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X