Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just installed CM10.1 on my Galaxy SII, it feels like a new phone! Fell in love with my phone all over again :) I'm currently just running the ROM and some of my favourite apps. For the last year and a half, I've been on stock ROM's (2.3, 4.0 and 4.1.2) with Apex Launcher (a brilliant vanilla Jelly Bean launcher). Thought I'd give some of the pro and cons of a custom ROM vs a stock ROM with Apex Launcher.

Pro's of using the stock ROM with Apex launcher compared to CM10.1:

1) You don't have to root or flash a new ROM (for people who are scared of this)
2) New drawer tabs can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1, this is a major drawback for me!)
3) Folders can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1)
4) Great theme support, change app icons, folder icons (can't be done in CM10.1, except if you root as I understand)
5) Awesome gestures, swipe up, two finger swipe up, two finger swipe down, that can be assigned to anything (can't be done in CM10.1)
6) Can change the app icons size in the app drawer and home screens (can't be done in CM10.1)

Pro's of using CM10.1 compared to the stock ROM with Apex launcher:

1) You don't have to use a launcher, as the default launcher is already the vanilla Jelly Bean experience.
2) The vanilla apps like Calender, Messaging, Phone, is installed by default (No need to download them separately and have two of the same functioning apps)
3) Much better notification centre compared to TouchWiz. Split into notifications and quick settings (which can be customised)
4) Much smoother compared to stock with Apex.
5) No bloated apps that come with the installation.
6) Notification bar is blue (functionally does nothing but looks awesome! :D)
7) The battery icon can be changed to show percentage (great feature)
8) Awesome lock screen with lock screen short cuts and extra "lock screens", where if you swipe right, you get the camera and if you swipe left, you can add your own lock screens with widgets on.
9) Once CM10.1 is installed, the nightly updates can be applied OTA, so you don't have to go through the whole flashing process again, which is great
10) Notifications bubbles (the red numbers above the apps) are built in and works great, with Apex, Apex Notifier has to be installed for and sometimes doesn't work (although, with Apex Notifier, the bubble colour, position and shape can be changed, which is cool ;))

There are a lot of features both CM10.1 and Apex can do, compared to TouchWiz, which I didn't mention, for the people that just want to try Apex:

1) Change number of rows and columns in home screens.
2) Change app names in home screens.
3) Hide apps from in the apps drawer.
4) The dock at the bottom can have multiple "screens", so if you swipe left or right you'll have extra icons in the dock.
5) The dock and notification bar can be hidden.
6) The home screen and drawer swipe animations can be change, for example, flip, cube out, cube in, rotate etc.

There are probably a lot of features that I missed, but these are the important ones for me. If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct me :)
 
I've just installed CM10.1 on my Galaxy SII, it feels like a new phone! Fell in love with my phone all over again :) I'm currently just running the ROM and some of my favourite apps. For the last year and a half, I've been on stock ROM's (2.3, 4.0 and 4.1.2) with Apex Launcher (a brilliant vanilla Jelly Bean launcher). Thought I'd give some of the pro and cons of a custom ROM vs a stock ROM with Apex Launcher.

Pro's of using the stock ROM with Apex launcher compared to CM10.1:

1) You don't have to root or flash a new ROM (for people who are scared of this)
2) New drawer tabs can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1, this is a major drawback for me!)
3) Folders can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1)
4) Great theme support, change app icons, folder icons (can't be done in CM10.1, except if you root as I understand)
5) Awesome gestures, swipe up, two finger swipe up, two finger swipe down, that can be assigned to anything (can't be done in CM10.1)
6) Can change the app icons size in the app drawer and home screens (can't be done in CM10.1)

Pro's of using CM10.1 compared to the stock ROM with Apex launcher:

1) You don't have to use a launcher, as the default launcher is already the vanilla Jelly Bean experience.
2) The vanilla apps like Calender, Messaging, Phone, is installed by default (No need to download them separately and have two of the same functioning apps)
3) Much better notification centre compared to TouchWiz. Split into notifications and quick settings (which can be customised)
4) Much smoother compared to stock with Apex.
5) No bloated apps that come with the installation.
6) Notification bar is blue (functionally does nothing but looks awesome! :D)
7) The battery icon can be changed to show percentage (great feature)
8) Awesome lock screen with lock screen short cuts and extra "lock screens", where if you swipe right, you get the camera and if you swipe left, you can add your own lock screens with widgets on.
9) Once CM10.1 is installed, the nightly updates can be applied OTA, so you don't have to go through the whole flashing process again, which is great
10) Notifications bubbles (the red numbers above the apps) are built in and works great, with Apex, Apex Notifier has to be installed for and sometimes doesn't work (although, with Apex Notifier, the bubble colour, position and shape can be changed, which is cool ;))

There are a lot of features both CM10.1 and Apex can do, compared to TouchWiz, which I didn't mention, for the people that just want to try Apex:

1) Change number of rows and columns in home screens.
2) Change app names in home screens.
3) Hide apps from in the apps drawer.
4) The dock at the bottom can have multiple "screens", so if you swipe left or right you'll have extra icons in the dock.
5) The dock and notification bar can be hidden.
6) The home screen and drawer swipe animations can be change, for example, flip, cube out, cube in, rotate etc.

There are probably a lot of features that I missed, but these are the important ones for me. If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct me :)

Glad you're enjoying it, you know you can still install Apex if you want? You don't have to use the stock launcher.

I love how fast the stock one is but I have installed Nova instead as it has a lot more features.
 
Glad you're enjoying it, you know you can still install Apex if you want? You don't have to use the stock launcher.

I love how fast the stock one is but I have installed Nova instead as it has a lot more features.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to try it without a second launcher running on top. It didn't last though, I folded, Apex is back on lol :P But the combination of CM10.1 and Apex rocks :D

I don't know if you missed my question in #9760, but how did you do that? Looks awesome.
 
Yeah I know, but I wanted to try it without a second launcher running on top. It didn't last though, I folded, Apex is back on lol :P But the combination of CM10.1 and Apex rocks :D

I don't know if you missed my question in #9760, but how did you do that? Looks awesome.

Ah yes I did miss that.

Now that you have CM installed you can download plenty of themes for the built in theme engine. Open the Play Store and search "cm10 theme" - the one I am using is this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mac.theme.Simplex

Once you have installed a theme you can select it by going to System Settings -> Themes.
 
Cool thanks man. I browsed the themes, that's one of the best looking ones.

Try the MiUi 5 theme also, it is pretty cool too and has a matching icon theme.

Also, looks like the latest cm10.1 nightly resolves the gps lock issue. Mine locks now within seconds.
 
Try the MiUi 5 theme also, it is pretty cool too and has a matching icon theme.

Also, looks like the latest cm10.1 nightly resolves the gps lock issue. Mine locks now within seconds.

Cool will have a look. Great, will download it now.
 
I've just installed CM10.1 on my Galaxy SII, it feels like a new phone! Fell in love with my phone all over again :) I'm currently just running the ROM and some of my favourite apps. For the last year and a half, I've been on stock ROM's (2.3, 4.0 and 4.1.2) with Apex Launcher (a brilliant vanilla Jelly Bean launcher). Thought I'd give some of the pro and cons of a custom ROM vs a stock ROM with Apex Launcher.

Pro's of using the stock ROM with Apex launcher compared to CM10.1:

1) You don't have to root or flash a new ROM (for people who are scared of this)
2) New drawer tabs can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1, this is a major drawback for me!)
3) Folders can be created in the app drawer (can't be done in CM10.1)
4) Great theme support, change app icons, folder icons (can't be done in CM10.1, except if you root as I understand)
5) Awesome gestures, swipe up, two finger swipe up, two finger swipe down, that can be assigned to anything (can't be done in CM10.1)
6) Can change the app icons size in the app drawer and home screens (can't be done in CM10.1)

Pro's of using CM10.1 compared to the stock ROM with Apex launcher:

1) You don't have to use a launcher, as the default launcher is already the vanilla Jelly Bean experience.
2) The vanilla apps like Calender, Messaging, Phone, is installed by default (No need to download them separately and have two of the same functioning apps)
3) Much better notification centre compared to TouchWiz. Split into notifications and quick settings (which can be customised)
4) Much smoother compared to stock with Apex.
5) No bloated apps that come with the installation.
6) Notification bar is blue (functionally does nothing but looks awesome! :D)
7) The battery icon can be changed to show percentage (great feature)
8) Awesome lock screen with lock screen short cuts and extra "lock screens", where if you swipe right, you get the camera and if you swipe left, you can add your own lock screens with widgets on.
9) Once CM10.1 is installed, the nightly updates can be applied OTA, so you don't have to go through the whole flashing process again, which is great
10) Notifications bubbles (the red numbers above the apps) are built in and works great, with Apex, Apex Notifier has to be installed for and sometimes doesn't work (although, with Apex Notifier, the bubble colour, position and shape can be changed, which is cool ;))

There are a lot of features both CM10.1 and Apex can do, compared to TouchWiz, which I didn't mention, for the people that just want to try Apex:

1) Change number of rows and columns in home screens.
2) Change app names in home screens.
3) Hide apps from in the apps drawer.
4) The dock at the bottom can have multiple "screens", so if you swipe left or right you'll have extra icons in the dock.
5) The dock and notification bar can be hidden.
6) The home screen and drawer swipe animations can be change, for example, flip, cube out, cube in, rotate etc.

There are probably a lot of features that I missed, but these are the important ones for me. If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct me :)

Excuse the ignorant, but how do I install CM10.1?
 
please confirm if its fixed ?

Will do.

Excuse the ignorant, but how do I install CM10.1?

Assuming you have a Samsung Galaxy SII, there are two basic steps. Installing ClockWorkMod and flashing CM10.1. According to the CM wiki, there is no need to root the Galaxy SII. Copy the CM10.1 and GApps (required for the Google apps, they are not included in CM10.1) files to the root of the phone before you start.

So, install CWM using these steps, ignore the steps about super user and rooting. You can download the latest CWM from here.

Then flash CM10.1 using this tutorial.

Done :D

You can also talk to DrJohnZoidberg, he helped me :)
 
Last edited:
yeah, it got me by surprise today. Of coz it's kindaf cool coz of the diferrent distance and time options it gives, but if you are used to the old one , like me, you will be annoyed because the NAVIGATE option is not that obvious.
 
Hey guys

Looking for an upgrade from my HTC Desire S and the S2 is quite appealing...I realise the S3 is even old news by now, but what are the chances of finding someone who would still stock new S2's and willing to sell?

I'm thinking along the lines of surplus stock held by online shops etc...surely they must be somewhere in the country? ;)

I got my HTC Desire S when 8ta had them for sale for R1000 a pop, and still love it! But I could do with a bit of a bigger screen, and the S3 doesn't grab me as I am not a fan of the curved pebble look.

I know the odds of me finding a nice new S2 is slim, but I might as well try :)
 
Hey guys

Looking for an upgrade from my HTC Desire S and the S2 is quite appealing...I realise the S3 is even old news by now, but what are the chances of finding someone who would still stock new S2's and willing to sell?

I'm thinking along the lines of surplus stock held by online shops etc...surely they must be somewhere in the country? ;)

I got my HTC Desire S when 8ta had them for sale for R1000 a pop, and still love it! But I could do with a bit of a bigger screen, and the S3 doesn't grab me as I am not a fan of the curved pebble look.

I know the odds of me finding a nice new S2 is slim, but I might as well try :)

Your best bet is probably a good condition used variant... New S2's are scarcer than hen's teeth- I sold the two that I had in less than 24 hours :wtf:
 
Thanks ouens :)

Or buy one from kingrob... :D

Should I be worried? Or is this legit? :P

Seems like the S2 owners know what they are worth and don't wanna get rid of them! As a side note I wonder what happens with the surplus stock that Voda, CellC, MTN has at the end of a particular products lifespan? I am guessing they get sold to staff members for discount...
 
Should I be worried? Or is this legit? :P

He probably has the closest to new S2 that you will find...

Seems like the S2 owners know what they are worth and don't wanna get rid of them! As a side note I wonder what happens with the surplus stock that Voda, CellC, MTN has at the end of a particular products lifespan? I am guessing they get sold to staff members for discount...

One doesn't get rid of an S2. It gets passed on to the next worthy owner... ;)
 
kingrob has two? Bugger! I know how hard I looked to find the HTC Desire S but this...dit vat die koek!

@Maverick, is there some ritual I need to do or rite of passage I need to complete before I become a worthy owner? I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab before it got stolen...surely that must earn me some brownie points at least? :love:
 
I was tempted to say that, but I don't see him parting with either of his...

Hehehe, yeah I know. kingrob will have all his S2's till the day he dies. He probably has the sealed one locked up in a safety deposit box at an undisclosed location.

But I would have loved to see his comments when asked to flog one...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X