Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of guides online as well as videos on Youtube. Here is a guide: http://www.android.gs/update-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100-official-jelly-bean-4-1-2-xwlsj/ (just obviously replace their XWLSJ with the firmware you downloaded).

Youtube guide:

[video=youtube_share;P86NvA89ePQ]http://youtu.be/P86NvA89ePQ[/video]

Thanks, it turned out to be really easy. Couldn't get the Odin thing to work on my Mac but got it sorted on my wife's Windows machine when I got home. Happily chewing on some Jelly Bean now.
 
Folks, which browser are you using on your 4.1/4.2 powered SII? I can't decide between Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Dolphin. Stock is no longer an option, as it isn't getting updated fast enough, so doesn't display everything correctly - plus, the zoom option doesn't always work properly. I like text reflow as an option.
 
Folks, which browser are you using on your 4.1/4.2 powered SII? I can't decide between Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Dolphin. Stock is no longer an option, as it isn't getting updated fast enough, so doesn't display everything correctly - plus, the zoom option doesn't always work properly. I like text reflow as an option.

Opera Mini as always...
 
Opera Mini on the go - due to data compression - or Chrome vir Wi-Fi. I use Chrome on my desktop too so it all syncs really nicely. I also noticed yesterday Chrome has implemented data compression on its mobile version, which might lead me to replace Opera Mini entirely.
 
Folks, which browser are you using on your 4.1/4.2 powered SII? I can't decide between Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Dolphin. Stock is no longer an option, as it isn't getting updated fast enough, so doesn't display everything correctly - plus, the zoom option doesn't always work properly. I like text reflow as an option.

My stock browser works fine. I always end up going back to it no matter how many times I try and switch.
 
Folks, which browser are you using on your 4.1/4.2 powered SII? I can't decide between Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Dolphin. Stock is no longer an option, as it isn't getting updated fast enough, so doesn't display everything correctly - plus, the zoom option doesn't always work properly. I like text reflow as an option.

I used to use Chrome, but I'm now using FireFox - much better. I found that the default browser sometimes has issues with .gifs.
 
How does one completey clear one's phone? I know when you factory reset including data wipe, it doesn't clear everything.
 
How does one completey clear one's phone? I know when you factory reset including data wipe, it doesn't clear everything.

You would have to format the internal memory but I have been told this is not a very good idea with the S2. You could also just manually go and delete things you know are not system related, this is what I did a while back.
 
You would have to format the internal memory but I have been told this is not a very good idea with the S2. You could also just manually go and delete things you know are not system related, this is what I did a while back.

Ok, thanks. I want to pass my phone on soon to family and thought it would best to give them a cleared phone.
 
Ok, thanks. I want to pass my phone on soon to family and thought it would best to give them a cleared phone.

There are some scripts out there that can do this for you, never used them though but might be an option. Check this thread on xda forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2100558 - you can maybe use this option if you want to remove everything and then install a ROM from a clean device.
 
HI Guys

Firstly - i have been using CM10.2 (Jelly Bean 4.3) for the past 2 weeks and i must say its been very stable. Am running the nightlies and for everyday use it works great. Battery life is better than CM10.1 imo which is always a bonus.

Second - I recently discovered this app CyanDelta. Previously i would download the ENTIRE nightly whenever i wanted to upgrade (+/- 150MB) but this app has totally changed that. It checks periodically for updates and only downloads the changed / updated components. So now instead of upgrading once or twice a month i am able to do so every few days as each update is between 5 and 20MB depending on the size of the update. Can't believe i survived so long without it
 
Just want to report on my CM10.2 usage so far.

Running pretty smoothly and not many issues so far. Only issues I have are:

- Video camera when using 3rd party apps like VIne, Instagram and CMs Focal doesn't work and crashes the camera, restart required to get camera working again. This comes from 10.1 too though and is related to a driver thing as I believe Samsung never made the source available for the S2.
- Buggy display on some Google apps, the toolbar at the top disappears when scrolling. Pics:

Broken:

Screenshot_2013-08-21-13-45-08.png


What is should look like:

Screenshot_2013-08-21-13-45-35.png


- Landscape rotation bug in WhatsApp conversations.


Haven't found anything else to really bug me though.

Battery life has been quite good, currently I have everything turned on (e.g. Location services, history, Google Now) and battery is slightly better than stock 4.1.2 with everything turned off. I mean it's easy a full days moderate usage with all the location services enabled, I still need to test to see how much more I can get out when disabling them.

Looking forward to the updates :)
 
Just want to report on my CM10.2 usage so far.

Running pretty smoothly and not many issues so far. Only issues I have are:

- Video camera when using 3rd party apps like VIne, Instagram and CMs Focal doesn't work and crashes the camera, restart required to get camera working again. This comes from 10.1 too though and is related to a driver thing as I believe Samsung never made the source available for the S2.
- Buggy display on some Google apps, the toolbar at the top disappears when scrolling. Pics:

Broken:

Screenshot_2013-08-21-13-45-08.png


What is should look like:

Screenshot_2013-08-21-13-45-35.png


- Landscape rotation bug in WhatsApp conversations.


Haven't found anything else to really bug me though.

Battery life has been quite good, currently I have everything turned on (e.g. Location services, history, Google Now) and battery is slightly better than stock 4.1.2 with everything turned off. I mean it's easy a full days moderate usage with all the location services enabled, I still need to test to see how much more I can get out when disabling them.

Looking forward to the updates :)

I found some rendering issues as well. Hopefully it will be sorted in the not too distant future. Does not really affect me since I do not use the phone for gaming anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X