Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes....but it might only be next year.

Samsung is not exactly quick with global updates.

might be sooner if you are a flashaholic, those chaps at XDA have already ported it to the HTC One X and the dev comm for the S2 is quite active...either way, *must get my grubby mitts on it*..
 
What is the new CM9 Experimental ROM? How is experimental different from other nightlies?
Experimental is almost like nightlies - it contains the latest code, and could have bugs.
might be sooner if you are a flashaholic, those chaps at XDA have already ported it to the HTC One X and the dev comm for the S2 is quite active...either way, *must get my grubby mitts on it*..
+1. It shouldn't take CM and/or AOKP to get it though. One of the reasons I picked the GSII was because of the active developer base.

I installed CM9 RC1 last night. So far so good. Stable as ever. However, I noticed on my BBS widget that I've not had any deep sleep in the 2+ hours it has been unplugged. Where should I be looking for the reason for this?
 
I installed CM9 RC1 last night. So far so good. Stable as ever. However, I noticed on my BBS widget that I've not had any deep sleep in the 2+ hours it has been unplugged. Where should I be looking for the reason for this?

On BBS, you should be able to see what has kept your phone awake and then try and solve the problem.
 
heres a strange question , how can one return ones s2 back to its original start (IE, unroot / restore default kernel?)

Assuming you are on stock firmware, just download the stock kernel and flash via Odin. This should unroot your phone. Personally I would only consider this if I had to take my phone in for repairs.
 
Assuming you are on stock firmware, just download the stock kernel and flash via Odin. This should unroot your phone. Personally I would only consider this if I had to take my phone in for repairs.

But your custom ROM counter will still show you were naughty, right?
 
But your custom ROM counter will still show you were naughty, right?

Oh yes ... I forgotto mention that. You can use a jig for that IF you have the old bootloader installed.
I can not remember though, but I think if you flash stock firmware and kernel, the counter does not go up. It only goes up if you flash modified kernels
 
Oh yes ... I forgotto mention that. You can use a jig for that IF you have the old bootloader installed.
I can not remember though, but I think if you flash stock firmware and kernel, the counter does not go up. It only goes up if you flash modified kernels

I used Triangle Away and it set my binary to 0 as well as removing the root triangle - but i have heard it doesn't always work :|

Held the S3 for the first time yesterday and i must say it feels awesome...
 
I too played with a friend's S3, and I must say my S2 now feels kinda less cool. No reason for it to feel that way as its still one of the coolest android phones
 
  • Butter Project.
  • Google Now.
  • Google Search.
  • Offline Voice Recognition.

I personally don't care for that ... I would rather see a complete revamp of Touchwiz. I am not keen on loading launchers to get a proper look and feel as it should have been intended with GB, ICS or now JB. Simply put, what Sammny should do to please a lot of people is:
- Revamp Touchwiz
- Better battery usage while not taking away from performance
- Have an installer utility when installing firmware to let the user choose what apps/bloatware they want on the phone.

All these things they add to the firmwares like flipbook, offline voice recognition, etc can already be done with apps should people choose those features.
 
Touchwiz is a Samsung product. To be fair, Google has now released the official PDK (Platform Developer Kit), which will be released to OEMs as much as 6 months before a new Android release. Not sure if it will help TouchWiz though.
 
Touchwiz is a Samsung product. To be fair, Google has now released the official PDK (Platform Developer Kit), which will be released to OEMs as much as 6 months before a new Android release. Not sure if it will help TouchWiz though.

Yup, I my post was Sammy directed and not for JB in general. As far as I know all manufacturers get the same base and then modify/add on to that.
 
OK I have just used the dual-boot in Siyah. I have installed CM9. What is the best way to get my apps, contacts etc on this ROM? I backed them up using some backup apps. Should I get these these apps on the new ROM and manually restore or is there an easier way?

EDIT: How do I get the Play Store on CM9 if I have to do manual restores?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
OK I have just used the dual-boot in Siyah. I have installed CM9. What is the best way to get my apps, contacts etc on this ROM? I backed them up using some backup apps. Should I get these these apps on the new ROM and manually restore or is there an easier way?

EDIT: How do I get the Play Store on CM9 if I have to do manual restores?

Thanks!

You first got to install Google Apps to the second rom. Search for google apps zip (aka Gapps) on the internet and install to the 2nd ROM using Siyah kernels recovery mode.
 
I just installed CM9 Experimental. I see its Android 4.0.4 now
Can't notice anything different though
 
You first got to install Google Apps to the second rom. Search for google apps zip (aka Gapps) on the internet and install to the 2nd ROM using Siyah kernels recovery mode.

Ok thanks. How do I install Gapps to the second ROM?
 
Sorry this is all very new for me. First time I've rooted and installed a custom ROM. Only busy finding my feet now.
 
I too played with a friend's S3, and I must say my S2 now feels kinda less cool. No reason for it to feel that way as its still one of the coolest android phones

I've also played with a friend's S3. Definitely gonna be a best seller.

However, the Galaxy S2's Super Amoled + display is still the best ever put on a Samsung phone & it shows.

Simply the best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X