Samsung Galaxy S3

I've NEVER used Android and got my phone the other day :/

How do I copy my pictures/music from my BB microSD card to the internal memory of the phone?

Just plug the MicroSD into your S3 and use a file manager to copy.

EDIT: To the DCIM that is...
 
You got a Galaxy S3 as your first Android? Daaayum son. Although judging from this thread you're not the only one..

Use the "My Flies" app, "extSdCard" is your actual SD card and "sdcard" is your phone's internal memory. Just use cut & paste, same as in Windows.

Although most people also get a 3rd-party file manager with more functionality and a better layout, like Estrong File Explorer.
 
Last edited:
My Samsung Galaxy S3 frequently loses its network cover. When I want to make a phone call, it says "not covered by network". And when I want to send an sms it says that the service is not available, the message will be sent as soon as the service becomes available again. I also can't receive any sms'es or phone calls. The only way to rectify this is to restart my phone, then I have complete coverage again.
Are you on Vodacom? Try force your phone to edge and see if it stabilizes. Happens to me and my missus from time to time around Centurion.
 
So I got my S3 today.

How do I remove the Vodacom logo on startup - i.e. is it possible to flash it or something to remove the Vodacom Branding?
 
So I got my S3 today.

How do I remove the Vodacom logo on startup - i.e. is it possible to flash it or something to remove the Vodacom Branding?

Yes, go to somewhere like: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-I9300&pcode=XFA&os=1&type=1#firmware
The actual firmware is here: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/164215128/21afc0b/I9300XXBLFB_I9300OJVBLF3_XFA.zip.html

It's the stock standard June release for South African "generic" S3's. Working great on mine.
 
So I got my S3 today.

How do I remove the Vodacom logo on startup - i.e. is it possible to flash it or something to remove the Vodacom Branding?

Yes, you can just flash the un-branded global ROM, try searching at XDA.
 
Yes, go to somewhere like: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-I9300&pcode=XFA&os=1&type=1#firmware
The actual firmware is here: http://www.hotfile.com/dl/164215128/21afc0b/I9300XXBLFB_I9300OJVBLF3_XFA.zip.html

It's the stock standard June release for South African "generic" S3's. Working great on mine.

I used http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969 to follow instructions on how to use Odin to flash

I used http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&model=GT-I9300&pcode=XFA&os=1&type=1 - the latest firmware.

I successfully flashed - and yet- somehow - all the vodacom branding is still there?

What am I doing wrong?
 
Change CSC

Type *#272*Device IMEI# at Phone dial pad.
Select the CSC that you want (XFA is what you want, the current one will be XFV)
Click Install.
Phone will be rebooted by itself.
That’s all.

Note – This will factory reset your phone. Everything will be deleted. Do backup before perform this task.
 
Change CSC

Type *#272*Device IMEI# at Phone dial pad.
Select the CSC that you want (XFA is what you want, the current one will be XFV)
Click Install.
Phone will be rebooted by itself.
That’s all.

Note – This will factory reset your phone. Everything will be deleted. Do backup before perform this task.

I assume this will only work after the Odin flash?

Anyway - it did work perfectly - Thank you SO VERY MUCH (*gives virtual case of beer*)
 
Gamer - for me to understand - changing the CSC did what exactly?

Would it have been possible to do this without loading the custom firmware first?
 
Gamer - for me to understand - changing the CSC did what exactly?

Would it have been possible to do this without loading the custom firmware first?

CSC stands for Consumer Software Customization. It's all that carrier specific stuff that's added like special boot screens etc.
It actually may have been possible to change that without loading the firmware. My phone was direct from Samsung so it came with XFA CSC as standard, so I upgraded to that firmware as that was my actual firmware. Whether the original VC firmware had all the other ZA CSC's built in and made available to choose from with the code entered, I'm not entirely sure. Possibly someone with original VC firmware can check. Punching in the code without actually making a CSC change will show the options but not reboot or clear anything.
 
CSC stands for Consumer Software Customization. It's all that carrier specific stuff that's added like special boot screens etc.
It actually may have been possible to change that without loading the firmware. My phone was direct from Samsung so it came with XFA CSC as standard, so I upgraded to that firmware as that was my actual firmware. Whether the original VC firmware had all the other ZA CSC's built in and made available to choose from with the code entered, I'm not entirely sure. Possibly someone with original VC firmware can check. Punching in the code without actually making a CSC change will show the options but not reboot or clear anything.

I wish I didn't flash it - that would be a very interesting thing to test.

Anyone want to buy a new phone from Vodacom ?- let us test? :D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X