Samsung Galaxy S3

I have a feeling I'm going to miss the Nokia Maps on my N8 if/when I get an S3... Use it all the time for my job and it's free... have the whole of SA loaded...

Was also a concern of mine when I moved into the online maps world. Soon got over it :p

Waze is also very good. Find myself using Google Maps most often though.
 
Habe you tried Sygic?
Seems you can download South Africa (92.9mb).

I moved from an N8 and GPS navigation concerned me too. I loaded Sygic and have been very happy with it. Full SA maps are stored on my phone so all offline.

The only thing I now miss is the superior camera and, more specifically, the xenon flash.
 
I moved from an N8 and GPS navigation concerned me too. I loaded Sygic and have been very happy with it. Full SA maps are stored on my phone so all offline.

The only thing I now miss is the superior camera and, more specifically, the xenon flash.

Yea I fear I may miss the camera & flash too but I'm willing to give it a try... Did you pay for Sygic or install a cracked version?
 
How does it work? Have you tried it yet?

Yes, tried it tonight. The trick is download the country map on wifi and the also saves the destinations as favourites. Once you have done that you can put your phone on flight mode and go nuts.

Just remember you cannot search for addresses while offline, so make sure to save your destinations before hand. Planning to use this in Spain for my honeymoon.
 
Yes, tried it tonight. The trick is download the country map on wifi and the also saves the destinations as favourites. Once you have done that you can put your phone on flight mode and go nuts.

Just remember you cannot search for addresses while offline, so make sure to save your destinations before hand. Planning to use this in Spain for my honeymoon.

That won't work for me... I only get the destinations on the day at work so can't save them beforehand...
 
That won't work for me... I only get the destinations on the day at work so can't save them beforehand...

Waze might be better for you then as I'm headed to a country where I won't have data on the road.

Waze uses next to no data, give it a try. You are getting a smartphone now, data is a must.
 
Loving CM10 but it's crashing everytime I take a photo using the flash. Are there any other decent JB ROMs out there that will allow the camera to work properly?
 
Waze might be better for you then as I'm headed to a country where I won't have data on the road.

Waze uses next to no data, give it a try. You are getting a smartphone now, data is a must.

Ok I'll give it a try... Just bummed about not having native offline functionality... it seems a no-brainer?
 
Ok I'll give it a try... Just bummed about not having native offline functionality... it seems a no-brainer?

In time Google might accommodate offline navigation, especially since Apple now uses its own mapping software on iOS.

Why not just keep your N8 as a permanent navigation devices in your car?

I must say I have no problems navigating on the S3 with the amount of apps currently available, but then again I don't mind using some data.

Up to you m8.
 
I have a feeling I'm going to miss the Nokia Maps on my N8 if/when I get an S3... Use it all the time for my job and it's free... have the whole of SA loaded...

If you press the menu button while in maps, 'Make available offline" is an option. You just position the square over the desired area and Google downloads it.
 
In time Google might accommodate offline navigation, especially since Apple now uses its own mapping software on iOS.

Why not just keep your N8 as a permanent navigation devices in your car?

I must say I have no problems navigating on the S3 with the amount of apps currently available, but then again I don't mind using some data.

Up to you m8.

I might have to keep my N8 as a navigation device, was hoping to sell it though and put the money towards the S3...

If you press the menu button while in maps, 'Make available offline" is an option. You just position the square over the desired area and Google downloads it.

Apparently the data is only available for 30 days and then no navigation is possible, only browsing...
 
With Google maps you can save a map for offline viewing but not turn by turn navigation.

I just downloaded Navfree from the the Play store which is totally free and can do voice guided turn by turn navigation for many countries.

With the map downloaded turn by turn navigation works like a charm and uses next to no data at all...
 
I might have to keep my N8 as a navigation device, was hoping to sell it though and put the money towards the S3...



Apparently the data is only available for 30 days and then no navigation is possible, only browsing...

So just update the maps once a month.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X