Samsung Galaxy S3

ATT: Peeps who got their S3's from FNB...

I placed my order yesterday morning.

What was the process like? Are they going to phone me to confirm at some stage?

How long did delivery take?
 
ATT: Peeps who got their S3's from FNB...

I placed my order yesterday morning.

What was the process like? Are they going to phone me to confirm at some stage?

How long did delivery take?

My wife got her Galaxy tablet from them. Was a mission. My suggestion is to not order online. Call and speak to someone rather. The online submission gets sent to who knows where and nothing starts happening until someone calls you anyway. Quicker to get a name and the ball rolling by calling. In my wife's case, she heard nothing for three weeks. Started calling, complaining etc. Eventually got the tablet but because a marketing manager was also helping her after complaining, a second tablet got delivered 2 days after the first one. The thing sat in the cupboard for 2 months waiting for them to get their A into G and send the courier back to collect the extra one. On the other hand, I've heard of other people getting theirs quickly without hassle. So, who knows.
 
Upgrading in 2 weeks, can't wait to get my S3!

In hindsight i think the HTC one x is a better phone.

The sum of the parts is not always equal to the whole.

Bought the s3 based on specs, and thought i would get away from the software missteps by going to a custom Rom. Unfortunately i can't escape touchwiz.

I think out of the box the htc is better.
 
ATT: Peeps who got their S3's from FNB...

I placed my order yesterday morning.

What was the process like? Are they going to phone me to confirm at some stage?

How long did delivery take?

Two weeks for me. The process can be a bit chaotic, as you don't get a tracking number or anything to confirm what is going on. Mostly just a waiting game. meh. But worth it :)
 
I don't think it's a case of missing out on anything. It's more different folks, different strokes. I've tried some of the modded roms, none of them impressed me. In fact I felt they gave more issues and hassles (always something not working like the camera or FM radio or similar types issues) while the stocks have personally given me best performance, reliability and battery life. Some will agree, some won't. Bottom line is, it's my preference and I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the reply. What aspects of the UI that you're currently using do you prefer over TouchWiz? Is the home button on the screen itself like in many Play Store screenshots?
 
Thanks for the reply. What aspects of the UI that you're currently using do you prefer over TouchWiz? Is the home button on the screen itself like in many Play Store screenshots?

Not sure what you mean, I'm using stock/touchwiz.
 
Not sure what you mean, I'm using stock/touchwiz.

Sorry, I was getting users confused. Was thinking of this:

I reboot once a day and in so doing I have never ran in to issues! This ROM is amazingly fast and it's CM so totally worth it for me... Besides I can't stomach the Samsung stock ROMs.... Even with the small issues vanilla Android beats Touch Wiz any day.
 
In hindsight i think the HTC one x is a better phone.

The sum of the parts is not always equal to the whole.

Bought the s3 based on specs, and thought i would get away from the software missteps by going to a custom Rom. Unfortunately i can't escape touchwiz.

I think out of the box the htc is better.

Er... why not?
 
In hindsight i think the HTC one x is a better phone.

The sum of the parts is not always equal to the whole.

Bought the s3 based on specs, and thought i would get away from the software missteps by going to a custom Rom. Unfortunately i can't escape touchwiz.

I think out of the box the htc is better.


Just run stock with a different launcher?
 
And I see not all of the Trebuchet settings have been ported to CM10 yet... I'll give Apex a go.


For those running CM10 - what modem are you using?

I'm on the LFB modem and it gives me the best signal and voice clarity of all the radios I have tested. I also ensure that my RIL and baseband is a match using an App called GETRIL on the market. There are those over at XDA that believe you will get the best possible signal and battery performance if your RIL and modem is an exact match.
 
Would you mind giving the reasons behind your opinion that vanilla is better than TouchWiz? I've only ever run stock ICS and JB on my S3 and I love the UI. What am I missing out on? Thanks.

I believe that Android should be the way that Google intended in the Nexus line of phones. One of the major factors is the styling of the ROM, I just like the way that vanilla Jellybean looks in terms of the overall theme. I know that there are launchers like Nova that can emulate the look of vanilla android but some elements of Touchwiz still remains like the settings menu and the lock screen. I guess it's personal preference, but I just hate the Touchwiz theme! The fonts and color schemes look like they were designed for/by a child. Then there is all the bloatware... The stock Touchwiz ROM comes in at close to 800Mb to download where the CM10 roms comes in at around 200Mb. I don't want Samsung Aps, Dropbox and all the other rubbish that Samsung forces on me.

I have installed the JB leak Touchwiz ROM's and CM10 is just lightning fast compared to stock.
 
Thanks for the reply. What aspects of the UI that you're currently using do you prefer over TouchWiz? Is the home button on the screen itself like in many Play Store screenshots?

No CM10 has been adapted to use the S3's physical as well as capacitive buttons. Unlike the Nexus that has no physical buttons.
 
Just run stock with a different launcher?

I use nova. When i say touchwiz i mean the Samsung OS. Launcher is just one part. It's slow (not talking about rendering) and it shouldn't be - open the gallery and see what i mean. Beam (both types) works only occasionally. Mtp sucks coz it requires specific drivers, works on 2/10 PCs in the office literally. App switcher requires a long press. Contact app doesn't sync properly, and is not as intelligent as htc's. Dialer takes like 5 touches to get dialing, only displays one line suggestion. S everything is just a bloated gimmick. Camera takes sub standard pictures. Has a rgb led but no way to properly control it (third party apps are buggy). Memory management is not optimized - why kill the launcher, 1 gig and my desire with oxygen works better. OH dropped once and it's cracked - don't claim 8.5mm but then a case is mandatory. And stupid stupid mechanical home key, wtf

Will see how a stable Cm10 works when they fix memory leak. Which should be soon. Then i might be able to forgive the camera.

Right now I'm going to try Omega.
 
I use nova. When i say touchwiz i mean the Samsung OS. Launcher is just one part. It's slow (not talking about rendering) and it shouldn't be - open the gallery and see what i mean. Beam (both types) works only occasionally. Mtp sucks coz it requires specific drivers, works on 2/10 PCs in the office literally. App switcher requires a long press. Contact app doesn't sync properly, and is not as intelligent as htc's. Dialer takes like 5 touches to get dialing, only displays one line suggestion. S everything is just a bloated gimmick. Camera takes sub standard pictures. Has a rgb led but no way to properly control it (third party apps are buggy). Memory management is not optimized - why kill the launcher, 1 gig and my desire with oxygen works better. OH dropped once and it's cracked - don't claim 8.5mm but then a case is mandatory. And stupid stupid mechanical home key, wtf

Will see how a stable Cm10 works when they fix memory leak. Which should be soon. Then i might be able to forgive the camera.

Right now I'm going to try Omega.

I don't use a case on my S3. Never had a problem - I'm just obsessive about handling it carefully. I love having a mechanical home button. It's a more efficient use of space and I find it more natural. I have loads of apps installed and I still have nearly 400MB of RAM free in JB. The camera is very good! Audio and camera performance is better than the One X. My contacts are displayed correctly and sync fine. Gallery opens fast enough that I've never given it a second thought. Connecting to PC's has always been a breeze for me. The LED's are simple, useful and work fine. I've used a One X and it made me appreciate TouchWiz even more, so different strokes for different folks.

Why did you get an S3 if you dislike Samsung's way of doing things so much?
 
I don't use a case on my S3. Never had a problem - I'm just obsessive about handling it carefully. I love having a mechanical home button. It's a more efficient use of space and I find it more natural. I have loads of apps installed and I still have nearly 400MB of RAM free in JB. The camera is very good! Audio and camera performance is better than the One X. My contacts are displayed correctly and sync fine. Gallery opens fast enough that I've never given it a second thought. Connecting to PC's has always been a breeze for me. The LED's are simple, useful and work fine. I've used a One X and it made me appreciate TouchWiz even more, so different strokes for different folks.

Why did you get an S3 if you dislike Samsung's way of doing things so much?

Hardware. :) And i planned to use cm from the outset. Rooted in day 2. I'll wait for the stable cm10.

What phone did you have before?
 
Hardware. :) And i planned to use cm from the outset. Rooted in day 2. I'll wait for the stable cm10.

What phone did you have before?

Samsung Galaxy Ace. All my contacts and calendar entries synced to my S3 within minutes of setting it up. Samsung has impressed me greatly with their phones.
 
Samsung Galaxy Ace. All my contacts and calendar entries synced to my S3 within minutes of setting it up. Samsung has impressed me greatly with their phones.

So did mine. Just don't like the integration and dialing takes too many clicks. Dialer one for example find the number first time. Hit the predicted number and talk.

Anyway. Omega is cool.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X