SEACOM downtime continues

rpm

Admin
Staff member
SEACOM still down

Many ISPs suffer with international bandwidth constraints as SEACOM maintenance takes longer than expected

Pixual

Expert Member
I think they should offer us a rollover of unused data if they can't get this fixed before the end of the month. I still have 3GB's on my Axxess Lite account.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I guess the fixers of the cable have never heard of weather forecasts.

onlinepaul

I'd been thinking of topping up my Afrihost. Luckily I haven't.

From gam.co.za
GamCo Update, SMW4 Emerg maint STILL IN PROGRESS. INTL Consumer DSL ClearChannel Velocity services interrupted. Tentative ETR

Posted at09:45 on 26 April 2010.

Dear GamCo Customer

Maintenance STILL IN PROGRESS - continuing. Tentative ETR (estimated time to repair) from Upstream Service Provider is 27 April 2010.

The nature of the undersea cable repair work and the sea environment is affecting the time to repair.

Emergency Seacom Maintenance Notification.

AFFECTED SERVICE: International Consumer DSL, Clear Channel & Velocity AFFECTED POPS: international traffic between SA and London/New York START DATE: Sun 25 Apr 10 14h00 (SAST) END DATE: Estimated (tentative) 27 April 2010 EXPECTED DURATION: Unconfirmed IMPACT: Service interruption - no connectivity REASON FOR CHANGE: SMW4 repairs affecting Seacom traffic IS REFERENCE: Seacom

ADDITIONAL INFO: Seacom has advised that repair maintenance work is still in progress, affecting traffic across the Seacom cable system.

Kind Regards The GamCo Team

So hopefully by tomorrow sometime access will be restored.

Robocop

Errm....that's why everyone went on about having redundancy on SAT-3.

Riot2

this is such bs - no back up plan or nething
the end user is screwed over again - i think the isps should give us discount for the downtime
and/or extra bw free next month

burn

Expert Member
At least we have a second cable to bitch about, bring on the others ;) I'm sure it is not a quick and easy job to pull the cable of the sea bed and get it fixed... Luckly most things are working ok for me now. Last night was not good though...

Robocop

This is just perfect, I bought a R50 uncapped from MTN yesterday, thinking I'll grab all my updates and a movie or something.....:mad:
Should have read the warnings.

Otumeel

Does this mean that the whole ****ing South Africa doesn't have international access???????????

:mad:

Riot2

premium business type accounts and i think the telkom accounts are still fine
not sure about others
however i urgently need bw and will have to buy a saix based account and hope it works
chances are ill use like 100mb between now and when the cable comes up -> its pretty crucial tho
i expect the isp to credit me 90% of the cost of the account tho :/

ruan567

SAINET uncapped works. Although slower than usual. Our Afrihost account is completely dead.

Pilgrim

Wugger
From what I read about the article it sounded like only one fiber pair had issues, but to fix it they need to cut the entire cable and fix it :wtf:

I hope they get it fixed soon, it is a pity that the cable system had to take such a dent in their reputation so early on, 99.999% uptime gone for the next few decades....

MFour

Expert Member
hmm there is a problem?

I'm on Web Africa and have had absolutely no loss in connection.
I guess they doing something right ;)