ShowMax launches bandwidth calculator

Praemon

Expert Member
1080p 5.1 or sod off.

The problem is that ShowMax battle to even stream 720p, let alone 1080. They must be using a really useless CDN, or don't serve content locally. I constantly encounter buffering issues or pixilation, even though I get 1080p perfectly fine on Netflix and other streaming services.

ph4t3

Expert Member
The problem is that ShowMax battle to even stream 720p, let alone 1080. They must be using a really useless CDN, or don't serve content locally. I constantly encounter buffering issues or pixilation, even though I get 1080p perfectly fine on Netflix and other streaming services.

They use the Akamai CDN which seems to be hosted by Teraco

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
With the amount of money their parent company has, they should really invest in developing a local CDN - in fact doesn't MWEB have one? It only makes sense to have a CDN close to their target base.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
yea no can do.

sorry showmax unless you partner with vodacom specifically for my monthly bandwidth can't.

Weekdays kids: 5 to 7 hours.
Weekdays Adults 5 to 10 hours.
Weekends kids: 2 to 8 hours.
Weekends Adults: 2 to 12 hours.
so 14 to 27 hours a week.

18 to 40gb per month on your low quality setting.

Sorry, will not work for rural areas.

Last edited:

Praemon

Expert Member
They use the Akamai CDN which seems to be hosted by Teraco

Odd that it's so problematic then. Maybe it's the app (only tried it on Apple TV) or encoding. Just don't understand why the streaming quality is always so poor.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Odd that it's so problematic then. Maybe it's the app (only tried it on Apple TV) or encoding. Just don't understand why the streaming quality is always so poor.

It's about the same as Netflix for me (On the Apple TV)

Solitude

Executive Member
I don't mind 720p. However I really really want an XBox One app.