Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

Chris_SA

Expert Member
I use wyze v3 outdoor cams. Absolutely love them. If you want you can integrate to HA or blueiris with rtsp.

Other than that it integrates well with alexa, switches on lights with movement, person Detection notifications and announcements on my echo etc

For the cost it's incredible.

xodosman123

Expert Member
Hi I have Provision IP that is the way , i have at my house and at the office, i can view all from the app and on my pc.....works well.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Hi I have Provision IP that is the way , i have at my house and at the office, i can view all from the app and on my pc.....works well.
But does it specifically have smart camera features like real-time notifications when unidentified people are detected?

FNfal

Executive Member
But does it specifically have smart camera features like real-time notifications when unidentified people are detected?
The one i have has all that and more .
Nice NVR but does not like other makes of cameras , works ok with Dahua and hikvision works well with Provision cams .

Saba'a

Executive Member
I use wyze v3 outdoor cams. Absolutely love them. If you want you can integrate to HA or blueiris with rtsp.

Other than that it integrates well with alexa, switches on lights with movement, person Detection notifications and announcements on my echo etc

For the cost it's incredible.
Fully agree and bought 2 Wyze cameras but my challenge with Wyze cam is the stability of the connection to the wifi network.

Prefer wired cameras. Thus investment in reolinks.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Fully agree and bought 2 Wyze cameras but my challenge with Wyze cam is the stability of the connection to the wifi network.

Prefer wired cameras. Thus investment in reolinks.

I took out my poe for wyze v3. Haven't had a second of problems to network and I have it steaming 24/7 to mounted ipad.

maumau

Honorary Master
Which resolution camera would pick up human activity at this gate, specifically the gate motor which is inside bottom left? Distance is about 35m. Will the person be recognizable?

rps20210509_131526_317.jpg

Saba'a

Executive Member
Which resolution camera would pick up human activity at this gate, specifically the gate motor which is inside bottom left? Distance is about 35m. Will the person be recognizable?

View attachment 1065207
The 4mp ones should be able to pick up but definitely won't be recognizable.

Unfortunately don't yet know how good the 8mp reolinks are. Still waiting.

maumau

Honorary Master
The 4mp ones should be able to pick up but definitely won't be recognizable.

Unfortunately don't yet know how good the 8mp reolinks are. Still waiting.
Thank you, that's what I thought, it's amazing what bad advice some "professionals" give.

There's no way of going from the carport over the driveway so will probably run the cable from the above POV along the wooden fence towards the gate and mount the camera opposite the carport. That would cut the distance down to about 25 metres, much better for 4m.

Foscam have a camera that looks good https://www.foscam.co.za/4-outdoor-cameras. Looking at G4EP POE and would have to use a conduit.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Thank you, that's what I thought, it's amazing what bad advice some "professionals" give.

There's no way of going from the carport over the driveway so will probably run the cable from the above POV along the wooden fence towards the gate and mount the camera opposite the carport. That would cut the distance down to about 25 metres, much better for 4m.

Foscam have a camera that looks good https://www.foscam.co.za/4-outdoor-cameras. Looking at G4EP POE and would have to use a conduit.
Foscam works with Google Assistant. If you require the functionality.

Reolinks also now works with Google Assistant, streaming on Google hubs and chromecasts.

But not if via NVR (if I understand the reolink website correctly).

Streams well enough via the phone app as well.

maumau

Honorary Master
Foscam works with Google Assistant. If you require the functionality.

Reolinks also now works with Google Assistant, streaming on Google hubs and chromecasts.

But not if via NVR (if I understand the reolink website correctly).

Streams well enough via the phone app as well.

Thanks for the info, I have the foscam NVR and will do some research, the guy that works there is very helpful.

The little C1 WiFi indoor cameras work a treat via their phone app. I bought 2 of them 3 years ago when we had building alterations done and needed to keep an eye on workers and they've been surprisingly useful.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Thanks for the info, I have the foscam NVR and will do some research, the guy that works there is very helpful.

The little C1 WiFi indoor cameras work a treat via their phone app. I bought 2 of them 3 years ago when we had building alterations done and needed to keep an eye on workers and they've been surprisingly useful.
Have the Reolink Argus 2, with solar panel. Initially connection was unstable but upping fibre speed and/or adding range extender has made it quite reliable.

But prefer wired poe for reliability and cheaper cost, its useful for awkward spots.

Good luck.

furpile

Expert Member

View attachment 1065207
A camera with optical zoom will also help a lot. I know reolink has one with 3x zoom, it is a bit more expensive though.

maumau

Honorary Master
A camera with optical zoom will also help a lot. I know reolink has one with 3x zoom, it is a bit more expensive though.
Will have a look thanks, would prefer to spend a bit more and buy the right thing.

furpile

Expert Member

If you are running along the fence why not go all the way to the gate? Then any camera will work? You also get outdoor LAN cable that does not need to be in a conduit.

powermzii

Expert Member
So over the weekend i decided to re-try BlueIris and Deepstack on my home cameras. Currently running 6 Reolink RLC410s and Blue Iris is running off an old Dell Optiplex (i7 4790). My first try using Deepstack, AI Tools and BI wasn't as successful - often the machine would miss detections, take too long to process and decide what the detection was and would hang after an hour or so.

Came across this video and worked through to setup the integrated version. Took about 30mins as i had to configure the cameras etc but then it was up and running. Needless to say the detections have been near perfect since the weekend. Machine is not hanging and it seems to perform the detection relatively quickly, CPU usage has gone up about 10% but its all working well

furpile

Expert Member
So over the weekend i decided to re-try BlueIris and Deepstack on my home cameras. Currently running 6 Reolink RLC410s and Blue Iris is running off an old Dell Optiplex (i7 4790). My first try using Deepstack, AI Tools and BI wasn't as successful - often the machine would miss detections, take too long to process and decide what the detection was and would hang after an hour or so.

Came across this video and worked through to setup the integrated version. Took about 30mins as i had to configure the cameras etc but then it was up and running. Needless to say the detections have been near perfect since the weekend. Machine is not hanging and it seems to perform the detection relatively quickly, CPU usage has gone up about 10% but its all working well
Saw that video over the weekend, looks very usefull. My PC is still on Win7 so can't install Deepstack directly. Definitely planning to upgrade to Win10 sometime, then I will do it this way.