Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Order from AliExpress. It has a cloud option but I don't use it.

Any local installer can install it, been using for 5 years now but I installed myself.

How do you use yours, and what is the streaming quality like? I see you can get a 4Mb PoE dome camera for about R400... if it can be accessed over rtsp, and is reliable - I might order two or three.

I'd like constant streaming to my server to run AI on the streams for object (human) identification.

Don't touch them if you value your network / security

These guys hold 25% of the world's DVR market.

Not to worried in my case, they're on their own subnet with no internet access.

johnjm

Expert Member
How do you use yours, and what is the streaming quality like? I see you can get a 4Mb PoE dome camera for about R400... if it can be accessed over rtsp, and is reliable - I might order two or three.

I'd like constant streaming to my server to run AI on the streams for object (human) identification.

I have two NVRs that they stream to 24/7. Quality is as per spec but I don't stream higher than 720p when accessing remotely.

Personally, I haven't had to touch them in 5 years. Rock solid.

MEIOT

Expert Member
I have a bunch of Arlo's. Works splendidly. I've modded mine to be wired. Wireless was awesome but the batteries can get expensive to replace on a bunch of cameras every 4 months or so.
Being Alexa enabled also helps.

alqassam

Expert Member

With your subnet issue how would you remote view?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Don't want to start another thread.

I tried running 4 D-Link IP cameras (720p) through ZoneMinder in a docker container, it ran the server at almost 100% CPU, and the video was often corrupted.

What is a good NVR that can run off a single ethernet port, instead of one per camera? It'd be great if it also handles motion detection - instead of just constant recording.

The Door

Honorary Master
AFAIK this is a Dahua board with a serous processor in it for a very good price , i have not used this before but if i was just going to run IP this is the board i would buy .
It runs H264 and H265 so it is pretty future proof .
AFAIK it's a Xiongmai
Don't touch them if you value your network / security

These guys hold 25% of the world's DVR market.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So this is out the window then?

Nope - why would it be? NVR doesnt mean internet access.

On the topic though, I've noticed my cheap noname brand chinese camera is the heaviest user on the network, it tries to transmit about 12GB per day.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
AFAIK this is a Dahua board with a serous processor in it for a very good price , i have not used this before but if i was just going to run IP this is the board i would buy .
It runs H264 and H265 so it is pretty future proof .

Might order one to play with.

Also thinking of one of the HikVision NVRs - I see they have some with "Deep Learning"

FNfal

Executive Member
Might order one to play with.

Also thinking of one of the HikVision NVRs - I see they have some with "Deep Learning"
That processor has some very nice features and if you do change cameras to H265 the transmission and storage is less than half the size of H264 .

FNfal

Executive Member
Plan is to buy H265 camera's for outside.
My DVR is a work in progress ,ATM i am running a Hybrid no H265 and just ordered another H265/H264 board ,I have about 13 cameras mix of IP ( 5 ) and the rest Hikvision and other analogue cams .
The future definitely is IP 4 meg and higher cams with AI but AI is very expensive but it is getting cheaper .
I try to stick to the cams with sony chips as they are very clear compared to other cams .

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yeh, my aim is 4-5Mb PoE camera's - I'm tempted to try the ones posted previously in the thread, you can get four for the price of one HikVision.

I probably need about 10 to cover externally.

The Door

Honorary Master
Nope - why would it be? NVR doesnt mean internet access.

On the topic though, I've noticed my cheap noname brand chinese camera is the heaviest user on the network, it tries to transmit about 12GB per day.
Jeepers... 12Gb is steep!
As for internet connectivity - only required for remote access.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Jeepers... 12Gb is steep!
As for internet connectivity - only required for remote access.
Since last nights 8:30pm load shedding, worst is it has a ethernet cable plugged in, and it seems to refuse to use it - trying constantly on wifi.

falcon786

Honorary Master
The Reolink 5MP cams serve me well at home and I don't need a NVR or anything like that,just:

1.The cams with a 64gb SD card in each for motion recording.
2.POE switch connected to the internet and each cam.
3.The app on my phone/ipad/whatever device you want to access it from(could even be your android TV box I suppose).

I've setup motion zones at low sensitivity to minimize false alerts without sacrificing reliability,but that said things like lighting strikes and heavy thunderstorms do give me lots of false motion alerts for that period of time on the standalone reolink solution.

They're $50 at Amazon but I bought them cheaper last black Friday so might wanna wait for that. https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Surveillance-Security-Detection-RLC-410-5MP/dp/B07C5JWK4K.

The night vision isn't the greatest but my yard is lit up so they work great in my situation I force them to stay on colour mode and they're very clear,also the cams with proper night vision like hikvision darkfighter 2/Dahua super starlight are minimum $130 per piece before shipping etc and they would need a dedicated NVR or a Blue Iris PC to work.I wanted something simple that I didn't have to mess with IP addresses etc at home,plug and play,affordable yet clear.

At work on an older system I do have proper Tiandy Super Starlight cameras(bought from http://www.viscon.co.za) connected to an NVR and for certain areas where I need reliable motion alerts I run those cams also of a blue iris PC.

Now for the part which may help the OP somewhat with false alerts is the sentry ai portion add on for blue iris,I'm still trialing it but so far it does seem to not alert me for silly things like birds or thunderstorms.

Last edited: