TBV

Hey,

Wondering if anyone can help me. I heard on the radio (567 Cape Talk) That one can put one's name on a national database to 'opt out' of receiving adverts/offers/spam messages. Does anyone know where I can find this? I receive about 3 a day and it is driving me MAD even though I reply to all the messages with the 'STOP' option they give, I am still receiving so many of these spam messages it is actually becoming a problem... Any help would be much appreciated!

koeksGHT

Dealer
Replying with the "stop" option just tells the providers - "we got a live one here lads"
I found I got spammed more when I was on the opt out database.
2 seconds and google turned up with this:
https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/

This, you can never really opt out. And only the big companies care, not the million others who spam.

Just learn to ignore like the rest of us.

Viva

Expert Member
Does your phone's sms app have a function to filter out sms's containing certain keywords? I've found adding a few simple common words basically solves the problem for me. On the odd chance that spam sneaks through, I just look for one more keyword to add to my list.

stop
rates
cover
insurance
apply
finance
loan
interest
offer
more
estate
rent
blacklist
blacklisted

Just check the spam messages every now and then for false positives. In my experience it rarely happens.