Spam - should ISPs take more responsibility?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Class action lawsuits against the biggest offenders. That will make it unprofitable for the spammers. Also go after the advertisers. Lawsuits and legislation against those using spam as their primary means of advertising.

There are a few things they can do on the technical side. Make it more difficult to sign up for an e-mail address. Blacklist the domains of the worst offenders (forcing them to deal with spammers on their own network).

ISPs need to come together collectively to deal with this massive problem.

Somebody needs to rewrite the architecture of the e-mail system to disallow this spamming. The new system needs to be phased in.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Make users accountable for what their machines do. Mass spamming is allowed because of all the users out there with no clue on how to protect or secure their machines.

They should making owning a PC, something like getting a car liscence. They have to get a liscence if they want to own one.

I think if users are held accountable, they would be more careful and learn how to take their PC security more seriously and thereby cut down on the botnets.

medicnick83

Paramedic
I know that Hertzner is pretty tough on Spammers using their network.
The rest should be too!

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I get spam all the damn time!!! TEKLOM(sp)FTLose...

BTW: Does anyone use a good spam filter program?

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
and would you believe that one of SA's biggest alleged spammers is trying to press criminal charges against an isp because the isp is blocking its mail and interfering with its rights to carry on business

:rolleyes:

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
and would you believe that one of SA's biggest alleged spammers is trying to press criminal charges against an isp because the isp is blocking its mail and interfering with its rights to carry on business

:rolleyes:

Who is that? :D

G.A.S

I get spam all the damn time!!! TEKLOM(sp)FTLose...

BTW: Does anyone use a good spam filter program?

Spamato is very good open source filter, although it may require a bit of tweaking at first. It is available on SourceForge as well. I have only used it on Mozilla Thunderbird myself, though.

You may also consider switching to Gmail.

Regards
G.A.S

Pilgrim

Wugger
It is all good and well to shout "Down with the people spamming us" but how many spam messages do you get that you can trace back to some real company?

Not a lot.

How many spam messages do you get offering increased sized body parts, gift certificates, medicine, jokes, old friends looking for you, etc, etc, etc that come from bot networks that try to infect or defraud you?

A lot.

Not much can be done against bot networks on the ISP side. There is no single domain to block, no single message type to filter. It is too distributed.

Like w1z4rd said, people should know what their pc is doing on the internet...

daveza

Honorary Master
Route your mail through Gmail - the best spam catcher around.

ambo

Expert Member
Yup - all sorts of legal and "free speech" loopholes that the spammers are trying to exploit every time they get confronted. I personally don't think they will manage to make those stand up in court but we have yet to test this in ZA.

In the mean time the big ISP's are starting to talk to each other about the issues and hopefully they will come up with some sort of united front against the spammers soon.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It is all good and well to shout "Down with the people spamming us" but how many spam messages do you get that you can trace back to some real company?

Not a lot.

How many spam messages do you get offering increased sized body parts, gift certificates, medicine, jokes, old friends looking for you, etc, etc, etc that come from bot networks that try to infect or defraud you?

A lot.

Not much can be done against bot networks on the ISP side. There is no single domain to block, no single message type to filter. It is too distributed.

Like w1z4rd said, people should know what their pc is doing on the internet...

Then the government regulators should step in and ban e-mail advertising from those sectors of the industry. Class action suits against the actual companies mentioned in the advertising e-mails.

If ten ISPs in South Africa got together and sued the "man's make it large ACME company" (as an example), whether in South Africa or abroad for 1) the time and effort it took to filter out the spam, 2) Contravening advertising regulations in South Africa and 3) punitive damages on behalf of their members for invasion of privacy and mental anguish that the adverstising caused then they might just be able to make a dent in that one company's revenue. I know there are ten other companies ready to step in and take their place, but you would only have to make an example out of a few of them before the rest would get the message.

But ultimately, the only things that is going to stop this is a complete reworking of the e-mail system. The current mail transfer protocols as we know them have to be abandoned and a new secure system has to be introduced.