Stupid Mweb Upgrades!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Got a call from a doctor friend this morning to help him at his office. He just got back from April vacation and the internet at his office is no longer working. Apparently he uses the same Mweb account at home and at the office. So guess what?

Mweb upgraded him to the uncapped without asking him, now he is only limited to one concurrent connection. Surely they should ask people if they want to be upgraded? Especially where it is going to affect concurrent connections.

So what now? Should he downgrade back to the previous package? He only ever uses about 2 to 3 gigs out of a 5 gig package. He does make extensive use of the mweb e-mail accounts though.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Did you phone mweb?

He can just turn off the net when he leaves and switch on when he gets home. Otherwise phone mweb

Edinetz

Does the previous package still exist. Probabily on the 5 gig in order to have 2 con-current connections. I know you used to get free dial up with 3 gig but that increased to 5 gig accounts and up. Freeing the web is going to cost some users more.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Did you phone mweb?

He can just turn off the net when he leaves and switch on when he gets home. Otherwise phone mweb
Ja, just got Case # CAS-118547-Z280KN

We asked them to downgrade him back to the previous package.

Still... they should never have cross-graded him in the first place.

killadoob

Honorary Master
No for sure but on the other hand if they never auto upgraded him, people will start saying they are ripping off those clients who don't know any better but ya they could send an email or phone or something other than just do it :D.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Wasnt there a similar case on the forum where a guy was mysteriously downgraded from an uncapped account?
Im sure Mweb's response was that they are not allowed to automatically alter your account....

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
No for sure but on the other hand if they never auto upgraded him, people will start saying they are ripping off those clients who don't know any better but ya they could send an email or phone or something other than just do it :D.
True, I'm sure he would have seen the e-mails. Maybe he agreed to something that he did not understand. I guess we will find out.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Does the previous package still exist. Probabily on the 5 gig in order to have 2 con-current connections. I know you used to get free dial up with 3 gig but that increased to 5 gig accounts and up. Freeing the web is going to cost some users more.
The previous packages do still exist, I'm (still) on 4Mbps capped. The price/tradeoff on these packages meant they weren't upgraded automatically, while the 384K ones probably were.

My (4Mbps 5GB package) Account Menu allows me to use 2 connections, but I can't remember if line speed had anything to do with this option setting?

Edit: Can you confirm what line speed he is (was) on?

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Executive Member
um, not sure. But I doubt that he cares. He is quite willing to go back to paying what he was before.
Good point about him not being interesting in the details! A lot of discussion on the upcapped has been about 'how much you can download', so its interesting to hear about 'real world' users.

I have the opposite problem in that I haven't changed anything, but the terms of service (as an existing MWeb user) have changed in subtle (but irritating) ways, without any e-mail notifications.

hambone

Expert Member
Ya, Mweb should've said something about the "upgrade". Though one must ask, surely the majority of users would benefit from the upgrade, so they did it automatically?

MWEB

Still... they should never have cross-graded him in the first place.
Hi Garyvdh,

Agreed and apologies, this should not have happened but somehow seems to have slipped through the cracks.

Customers who have been identified using their capped accounts from multiple locations are put in a migration category which is not being auto-migrated. They will be allowed to make a choice whether to stay or upgrade/migrate either via the call centre or a (to be released) online migration tool.

MWB.