Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

Please keep me posted on your experience as i'm interested in taking up a LTE contract. I assume the external antenna should cost around 1.5g and assure stability. I know a lot of speed test results have been posted up here but it still doesn't convince me of the stability which is important to me in a fixed solution. More info is always better right :)
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

I'd definitely recommend an antenna if you're only getting 1-2 bars. Another day it could be worse, as signal tends to go. If you can establish direct line of sight, you have one of two options.

Option 1: Install 2*LPDA-0092 directional antenna on a 2-3m mast. You may have to extend the signal cable in this case. This is the ultimate install but carries a higher price and some element of risk with a mast in the sky (weather).

Option 2: Install an XPOL-0002 cross-polarized directional antenna. Performance is not far off the LPDAs and the installation is neater since the antenna are housed inside one casing. This can either be mounted on a mast, or if you're lucky, under an eve. The signal cable is shorter than the LPDA so if you go the mast route, you'll need to extend the cables for sure. Half the price of the LPDAs.

Check here for detailed installation notes. ;)
 
Last edited:
@cYcz I am hesitant as well. Not quite killing my phone line just yet. You get a 14 day money back guarentee if you are not happy with the service. So I am using that period to evaluate the product.

@Azimuth Thanks for the advice about the antennas. Where do you buy them?
 
Poynting sell directly to the public. They are also the manufacturers. They're out in Samrand.
 
@ Azimuth, i've heard that if you extend the cables beyond 5m, it decreases the effectiveness of the antenna and increases latency. Any truth in that?
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

It depends on the quality cable. I measured before and after and it was negligible. Didn't seem to affect speeds. I'll try find my results and post them here. In fact if memory serves, it was a gain of 0.8dBM per metre. Before -69dBm, after -73dBm.
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

This morning I'm having the worst speeds I've ever experienced on my LTE connection. Naturally this is messing up calls to some extent and we're getting heavy echoes.

This is what my speed tests look like - the Telkom Mobile LTE sectors / backhaul are broken! We had heavy, heavy rain yesterday and last night so maybe something on the tower is water logged....

755773225.png


755773467.png


755773744.png

My TM LTE speeds are back to normal again and faster than ever on my iPad 4 over WiFi.

761706162.png


Beeeeeeutiful. :)
 
New day, still styling.

762291322.png


I'm only really testing speeds again since I'm using Multi SIMs and wanted to check limitations, if any. There are none. :)
 
Ugh. Completely broken from earlier today. I've tested using the SIMs from my SmartPlan contracts and using a 60+60GB account.

764423981.png


764429630.png
 
I've been battling with 8ta LTE since last Saturday.
The speeds have suddenly dropped by nearly 20 times.
Currently based in Sandton, JHB.
I'm using the Huawei E5776s modem with 3-4 bars signal.
Please assist me with this madness :(


This is a result from www.speedtest.net
3299620238.png


This is a result from http://speedtest.mybroadband.co.za
2495392541.png
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

If I remember correctly you're smack bang in the LTE signal map, so that is promising for me as they like to use that against me.

I wonder how wide spread this issue is, as it doesn't seem to be related to one tower only....

You were getting 30Mbps+ on your iPhone 5 quite a while ago, weren't you?
 
If I remember correctly you're smack bang in the LTE signal map, so that is promising for me as they like to use that against me.

I wonder how wide spread this issue is, as it doesn't seem to be related to one tower only....

You were getting 30Mbps+ on your iPhone 5 quite a while ago, weren't you?


Ah yes, yes lol

Didnt understand your PM until i read this. Yep that's the speed I used to get and now everything is back to 1997
 
I am in southern suburbs cape town, speeds are normal for me (10 down, 1.5up...antenna on its way)

Is the Hauwie 593 you get with the telkom mobile contract locked? Could I stick in another sim card from MTN say?
 
You could indeed use another SIM card but if it's another provider, all you'll get is 3G.
 
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

Hmm is there technical reason (Telkom 2300 spectrum?) or is it a software/firmware thing?

It's chipset support on the hardware itself (B593). One day there might be a chip that supports all LTE frequencies (the iPhone 5S has accomplished this for 1800, 2100 and 2300MHz on one model) but for now, you need to get the right B593 for your chosen carrier. It is not a firmware thing, AFAIK.

Remember to have all B593 discussions here.
 
Last edited:
Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results - post trial

Day 3 and the broken service persists.

766025876.png


The address of the tower is 521-528 Banket Drive W Roodepoort. I've just logged a case so let's see what materialises. Maybe they throw the "you're out of signal coverage, don't use our service" line at me again....

Luckily I have hundreds of speed tests on record to know the tower is broken. :)

Case # 7612642.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X