Telkom Mobile - Roaming on MTN - connectivity issue

munchies

Hi All,

Bit of a strange one. My wife and I both have Telkom Mobile contracts. We both roam permanently on MTN as we find we get less dropped calls and the internet is more reliable.

Recently we have noticed that switching between wifi and cell data there seems to be a massive delay after coming off wifi and the cell data actually coming on (we can receive and make calls but the data portion is not on). It never used to do this and we both have different cell phones. Anyone else experience something like this?

sgs

Yes. Even happens when switching between Telkom and MTN and when switching back to Telkom too. I've some days driven home from work and had no data until I cycled to wifi and back to 3G.

It is really getting horrible and they better sort this out as currently their data is unusable in a "mobile" context :(

munchies

Yes. Even happens when switching between Telkom and MTN and when switching back to Telkom too. I've some days driven home from work and had no data until I cycled to wifi and back to 3G.

It is really getting horrible and they better sort this out as currently their data is unusable in a "mobile" context :(
Well I'm glad I'm not alone, but annoyed that its happening!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
We suffer similarly but are normally covered. It's a problem they need to resolve with their APN.

///MoH

Noticed this too... Really struggles to get a data connection on Telkom but works perfectly fine roaming on MTN.

I'm roaming on MTN cause of this.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I wonder if Telkom are actually aware of this? There is something very "off" with the 3g network.

Edit: Vodacom - No Service.
Telkom - Unable to connect.

You know, these are the kind of things that happens before a military invasion.

:p

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
I have not noticed this. I have a normal telkom sim as well as a telkom ids sim. That said I rarely see the roaming indicator so my situation might be different.

Similar issue and it has gotten worse, hence my attempts to contact them recently. Eventually, some oke there tuned me I need to replace my SIM, which I will do tomorrow, as it is now actually forbidden from the MTN network. So, you have that to look forward to.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Similar issue and it has gotten worse, hence my attempts to contact them recently. Eventually, some oke there tuned me I need to replace my SIM, which I will do tomorrow, as it is now actually forbidden from the MTN network. So, you have that to look forward to.
I'm on MTN roaming right now? But if Telkom does forbid me from MTN I'm off them, the advantage of being prepaid I guess. As their own network sucks half the time I don't get calls or data.

Rocco1

Is there a telkom rep we can speak to here ?

Also have this issue.
Been bad for last 2 months or so...

Topdoggdbn

Same issue, Even when cycling from airplane back to 3g.
Sometimes i have to put on 4g for it to work.

I had to stop using MTN roaming as very unreliable to reconnect.

I have a dual sim one is the Telkom IDS. Same issue when changing data sim.
I have been getting better results with going to apn settings selecting a different one and then re-selecting the correct. it then immediately picks up data signal

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Same issue, Even when cycling from airplane back to 3g.
Sometimes i have to put on 4g for it to work.

I had to stop using MTN roaming as very unreliable to reconnect.

I have a dual sim one is the Telkom IDS. Same issue when changing data sim.
I have been getting better results with going to apn settings selecting a different one and then re-selecting the correct. it then immediately picks up data signal
Yes I do similar or just add a space after "internet" and save, it then picks up.

sgs

Mine is so bad now, I cannot get internet most of the times.

And coupled to that, a recent software update on my Huawei Nova caused the data connection to drop the moment the phone does a location request. This means that, even if it manages to connect, the moment I open something like the FNB app, the data connection drops and I cannot open the app because of lack of data. (Same happens with google search etc.)

Spoke to a colleague with another Huawei on Vodacom, and he has similar issues. So now starting to wonder if this is not maybe phone related? What handsets are you guys all using?

PS: Logged a ticket with Telkom. No response to date.

I am on a Xiaomi Redmi but the issue was identical on my iPhone. I had to do a sim swap. Luckily, the day I chose to do it was the one where Telkom decided to change their software so I could sit in the Telkom shop for over an hour waiting for my turn.