Telkom Mobile roaming on Vodacom

Magandroid

Expert Member
Apparently Vodacom roaming has been postponed to 1 July 2019 as per a Telkom technical manager.

Last edited:

Hummercellc

Expert Member
My Telkom smart broadband sims have started selecting 65505 (Vodacom Roaming) automatically now, and I keep getting messages the internet is paused.
The joys of Telkom Mobile.
3 months left to cancel this crap.

sgs

Last week my phone started seeing 4G where previously it would only see Edge or MTN coverage.
Then the network name changed to show TelkomSA | TelkomSA when roaming.

Today, I get TelkomSA-R | TelkomSA where I would usually have had MTN | TelkomSA. So now it is pretty obvious I'm roaming outside of Telkom's network.

I also noticed my Telkom-only data stopped being used, and all-networks data suddenly started being chowed.

This is in Cape Town.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Looks like Telkom and Vodacom still battling to get the roaming setup correctly.
It is not stable, one minute it works, the next zero throughput, or network registration errors.
Seems the MTN roaming is still in play for now.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Looks like Telkom and Vodacom still battling to get the roaming setup correctly.
It is not stable, one minute it works, the next zero throughput, or network registration errors.
Seems the MTN roaming is still in play for now.
Had these issues this weekend n George. Multiple network problems on Vodacom. Switching to MTN solved the problem.

3Gee

Expert Member
This rollout is complete disaster. Southern Suburbs has good Telkom R cover

Northern suburbs, very poor cover

Was at the Waterfront and Century City over the long weekend

No Telkom R cover

The Waterfront has Zero Telkom cover, my phone briefly switched to Vodacom and Not Telkom R

Budza

Executive Member
This rollout is complete disaster. Southern Suburbs has good Telkom R cover

Northern suburbs, very poor cover

Was at the Waterfront and Century City over the long weekend

No Telkom R cover

The Waterfront has Zero Telkom cover, my phone briefly switched to Vodacom and Not Telkom R
Waterfront was fine for me yesterday. Was on the phone most of the time, also streaming GPM.

What APN are you on?

I don't think I was roaming at all...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Having problems in my one SIM with near 10GB of Telkom only data, it keeps connecting to TelkomSA-R and keeps telling me how I am now out of data bundle. It worked briefly while I forced it to use Telkom 4G after a network scan and then went TelkomSA-R again. Roaming is disabled on the device.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Having problems in my one SIM with near 10GB of Telkom only data, it keeps connecting to TelkomSA-R and keeps telling me how I am now out of data bundle. It worked briefly while I forced it to use Telkom 4G after a network scan and then went TelkomSA-R again. Roaming is disabled on the device.
Yeah there isn't a way to block 65505 from registering unfortunately and roaming option won't help as it is seen as the home network.

ronnie_94

Am I able to then just connect to 65505 from my Huawei router?

EDIT: I did read somewhere that you can't but I just want to be sure.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Now at home it works fine, stupid Vodacom roaming is of no use, even if it can LTE, if it wrongly connects you to a Vodacom tower while a Telkom one is available, and you have a Telkom data contract.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Now at home it works fine, stupid Vodacom roaming is of no use, even if it can LTE, if it wrongly connects you to a Vodacom tower while a Telkom one is available, and you have a Telkom data contract.
This is going to get frustrating. They are going to have to introduce a ussd string the can enable and disable it because fixed lte users are going to get stuck.

Yesterday I was on a call and the call dropped. Suddenly back to full signal but on Vodacom. Looks like the Telkom tower went down and instead of connecting to a tower further away it went over to roaming on Vodacom and dropped the call.