Telkom only installing 2 Mbps lines?

Vexarus

I have heard rumors that Telkom is only installing 2 Mbps lines, specifically in the Paulshof area. Can somebody confirm this rumor?

As far as my understanding goes, line speed's limiting factors are most significantly impacted by copper quality and distance from exchange. How can they be "installing 2 Mpbs lines" then?

stephannel77

I live in Paulshof. Exchange sits in Sunninghill. Too far from exchange and can only obtain 2meg stable. Noise about 9.3. Asked them for another line and awaiting installation.

Pellito

The split between Fourways and Sunninghill exchanges lies around Estelle road, West of Estelle and you're on the MSAN in Wroxham road (near the Porsche garage), East of Estelle and you're SOL.

I've had friends stay in Holkam Road (Sandton Village Estates, Ruggin Hill, Westwood way), all bad lines, at most 2mbps.

Last edited:

agentrfr

Executive Member
I've got a mate that stays in Paulshof on Komari Ave. With a little fiddling and spoofing target SNR on his router we've got his line to run at 6meg stably. Most other routers never did more than 3meg. For reference, he is using one of the Dlink DSL 2500 U "Jesus modems" with the programmable broadcom chip (I think they are discontinued now... good thing he has two spares! They were like R200 each when we each got a bunch of them)

EDIT: Looks like rebeltech still has a few if you want to grab one before they are lost forever...
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/adsl-mod...-with-router-1-port-10-100-lan-adsl2-2-c.html