Telkom upgrades active?

wayfarer

Expert Member
The work's 384 line seems to be a 1 meg line now:

This is in the Maitland/Kensington area in Cape Town. I first noticed that a download was much faster than normal. I did a speedtest.net at 8:15 this morning (you will notice it says 6:15 GMT in the pic).

Last edited:

Brandon.click

I'm on a 1mb uncapped line, including line rental, from Mweb. Will my account be automatically upgraded to a 2mb line?

wayfarer

Expert Member
I'm on a 1mb uncapped line, including line rental, from Mweb. Will my account be automatically upgraded to a 2mb line?
Yes, I think so. Your line should be 2 mb, but your uncapped account will still be 1 mb, resulting in a final speed of 1 mbs.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Your line will be upgraded, but your ISP account not.

MWEB will probably release a 2meg package very soon.

Brandon.click

OK I see. So because Mweb is my ISP, and not Telkom, I'll have to change my account to a 2mb uncapped account if they decide to bring out that kind of package in the near future.

Fox1

Expert Member
How does 1 check if their line has been upgraded to 1mb if they are currently on 384?

wayfarer

Expert Member
@Wayfarer - What ISP/ line rental set-up have you got?
Line rental is 384kbs with Telkom. Capped internet with MWEB. But the speedtest results are now the same like I have been getting on my home line which is 1mbs with Afrihost.

D3x

Expert Member
Even though Mweb will be keeping our line speed at 1Mb until we upgrade, would I still be able to see 2Mb sync stats on my router?

Anthro

Expert Member
Ahh, Cape Town -always first world :) GZ mate !
Side note 384 for business 0.o

NomNom

Executive Member
Are you sure that the work didn't just have it upgraded? like on purpose

wayfarer

Expert Member
Are you sure that the work didn't just have it upgraded? like on purpose
No. I basically do all the IT here, since the IT guy was last consulted in 2011 (I work as a psychological counselor at a state-sponsored substance-dependence treatment facility). I do not have the router password though...

Still seems to be that speed:

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Well the official doc I have states, the migrations from 384 to 1024 and from 1024 to 2048 will happen during August and September 2012. Though I am sure it might happen earlier in areas where there are no congestion problems or not even close to, to ensure they hit their deadlines on the migrations.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Well the line is definitely 1meg, its just a question of if the line is a 1meg (ie it will become 2meg later) or a 384 that has been upgraded...