The 2019 Weight Loss Thread

TheAssister

If that is the same app as for my Pi.Fit scale you can tap the statistic to see where it falls within the range. Green is normal, blue is low and orange or red are over.

The weight and BMI are orange because a BMI over 25 counts as 'overweight' but BMI doesn't take everything into account so I wouldn't sweat that too much.
Thanks all seems fine

TheAssister

I can not seem to get below this 80kg mark,I have tried so many things it's been like 2 weeks now

I train in the gym in the Morning Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Friday [Also Do Road Walking in the night on these days]

Started doing more cardio in the gym[Like 15minutes treadmill] + Weights

Plus I don't eat junk etc
Cut it all down

Any one can recommend me the next stage further ?

Fcon_Vpro

I can not seem to get below this 80kg mark,I have tried so many things it's been like 2 weeks now

I train in the gym in the Morning Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Friday [Also Do Road Walking in the night on these days]

Cut it all down

Hard to say without knowing what and how much you are eating.
Maybe switch up workout styles to HIIT workouts for a while.

TheAssister

Hard to say without knowing what and how much you are eating.
Maybe switch up workout styles to HIIT workouts for a while.
This is My Day

Breakfast-Egg,Weetbix or Usn

Lunch-Boiled Eggs

Supper -
Salad Or A Low Gi Brown Cheese Toast

I end my day just under 1200 calories at max .

dabean

Expert Member
This is My Day

Breakfast-Egg,Weetbix or Usn

Lunch-Boiled Eggs

Supper -
Salad Or A Low Gi Brown Cheese Toast

I end my day just under 1200 calories at max .
You can't keep doing that. Your cheat days will outdo your diet days (credit: @Eedubz).

Find something you can live with and start counting calories then.

Scary_Turtle

Cut it all down

I got pretty much to the same place as you and had to go a bit crazy with cardio to drop bellow 80kgs.

I started doing 20min cycles and worked my way up 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and finally made one hour (over 1000 calories burnt). I now do an hour cycle 3 times a week in the morning tues/thurs/sun.

I also run pretty much every afternoon 5km+ on the road and on a mon/wed/Friday do weights after my run.

Sat is parkrun where I really give it my all.

I had to eat more food 2000-2500 calories to keep up with the exercise but I think I have a sweet spot now.

I also had to change up how I was doing weights at the gym, you can't push heavy everyday and lose weight you have to train explosively. Muscle weighs more then fat so you can probably see results even though you aren't losing weight, so add/intensify the cardio you are doing until you start losing again (slow but recommended) or cut the weights for 2 weeks and crank up the cardio (fast but not recommended)

TheAssister

I got pretty much to the same place as you and had to go a bit crazy with cardio to drop bellow 80kgs.

I started doing 20min cycles and worked my way up 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and finally made one hour (over 1000 calories burnt). I now do an hour cycle 3 times a week in the morning tues/thurs/sun.

I also run pretty much every afternoon 5km+ on the road and on a mon/wed/Friday do weights after my run.

Sat is parkrun where I really give it my all.

I had to eat more food 2000-2500 calories to keep up with the exercise but I think I have a sweet spot now.

I also had to change up how I was doing weights at the gym, you can't push heavy everyday and lose weight you have to train explosively. Muscle weighs more then fat so you can probably see results even though you aren't losing weight, so add/intensify the cardio you are doing until you start losing again (slow but recommended) or cut the weights for 2 weeks and crank up the cardio (fast but not recommended)
I think I'll stop the weights for two weeks and focus mainly on the cardio been trying everything 3rd week now and I can't seem to get rid of this 80kg mark getting really frustrating.

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
I have seen this thread before but not recently. I am in South Africa at the moment and I willstart when I get back to the UK, flying on Monday the 24 June 2019 and then I will take all the stats and start then...

Scary_Turtle

Hit my goal weight 76.9kgs this morning so I just made it into the BMI.

I now realize the BMI scale is a load of rubbish, I can from this point lose another 20kg's and still be considered healthy according to the BMI.

I could only lose 3-5kg's more and still consider myself healthy after that I would be too skinny and eating an unhealthy amount of food to get to those levels.

I would also have to have no muscle to achieve those levels, whats the point of doing all that exercise and not being able to open a jam jar.

Anyway new goals are now going to be to maintain and get faster and longer at my running.

spargish

Been out for a while again, managed to weigh-in this morning 154.4, so I have finally hit a total loss of 80kgs.

As I was previously asked to post about my journey here it goes.....
So I have always been the chubby/bigger kid all through out my life. That's not to say it ever affected me physically, I played just about every sport I could through out school, from rugby to badminton. What I ended up doing, and I think most people who are over weight do, is owning my size. You end up getting names along the line of "Frank the Tank" and you are sure as hell going to own that to fit in. Fast forward to varsity, getting my own car and then my own job lead to me ballooning to even bigger sizes. You might hear other people say, I dunno how it happened or excuses like that. IMO that is a bunch of bullshit, you know exactly whats happening when you over eat, you're just accepting of the consequences at that stage. Hopefully though people will hit a type of "rock bottom" before those consequences kill them.

In my case my size was starting to affect how I lived. It stopped me from going to events, concerts or certain places. Before going out to a restaurant I would try find pictures of the chairs so that I knew I could fit into them. If I was invited to a party or a braai at a friends place I would make sure I took a big ass chest cooler box, partly for all the booze, but mostly because I could sit on it, the average plastic garden chair was a no go for me. In other words I wanted more from my life.

In the last half of 2017 I came across a story by @beetle001 on twitter had lost 60kgs in 12 months. I found that amazingly inspiring and I thought if he could do it I could. So I picked a date, end of January 2018 and I was going to start.

Fast forward to the end of Jan '18 and I started. I knew I was going low carb, so I started by cutting out the obvious carbs(potatoes, pasta, rice, bread and beer :( ) and Sugar(I used to drink at least 2l of Coke a day). That first week and a half was rough, the "Keto flu" is real, my brain was rebelling against the lack of sugar and I was moody AF. I stuck with it, and once I got though that it was pretty much plain sailing. I'm a pretty obsessive person so I read and read and read and read about banting/keto/lchf/low carb. I tweaked my diet further looking at things like food lists and the like. I would probably say I leaned more towards keto, as I found it a little less restrictive as banting in terms of things like artificial sweeteners and IIFYM( If it fits your macros). I think the most important thing is that you find what works for you, trying things and testing what it does to your weight loss.

So I didn't have a scale that I could stand on at the end of Jan '18 so I decided to give this diet a try for a month and then buy a scale, and hope by hell it would weigh me. So after 1 month of dieting I bought a scale, and I stood on it, a reading came up. First thought was, "Great, I didn't waist my money" then the number started to sink in, 234.4Kgs...... One single human.... two hundred...and thirty four....kilograms. That number was earth shattering but I knew I was the only one to blame and only I could change it. So I was now more motivated than ever.

In terms of exercise, I just started going for a walk in the afternoons after work. I think I started out doing 900ms around the block and I was dead the first few times I did that. I think I had to take at least two breaks during that short route when I first started. One of the things I found the most empowering was the improvements in times, taking fewer breaks, being less dead after the walk and walking further. I eventually bought myself a set of dumbells and a kettle bell , and added that to my weekly routines.

After a few months I discovered IF and introduced this into my routine. I was consistent with this and the weight started falling off, I mean it was bad that I was eating steak, eggs and more biltong than ever before. In my opinion consistency is the key. Yes i did cheat at times but I tried to plan my cheats as much as possible, and if you did have no option but to cheat, try let go of the guilt and just get straight back to your routine at the next meal. Your next meal is you first opportunity to get back on track.

Fast forward to today and I'm 80kgs down, regularly doing 5km park runs, lifting heavier weights, thinking about joining an actual gym and wearing some clothes I last wore 15 years ago. You don't get a second chance at life, but I sure as feel as if I have given mine a second wind. 20kgs to go to my original goal of losing 100kgs, and then who knows.

/This post got a little longer than I thought it would, sorry for the long monologue

abudabi

Expert Member
Been out for a while again, managed to weigh-in this morning 154.4, so I have finally hit a total loss of 80kgs.

So I have always been the chubby/bigger kid all through out my life. That's not to say it ever affected me physically, I played just about every sport I could through out school, from rugby to badminton. What I ended up doing, and I think most people who are over weight do, is owning my size. You end up getting names along the line of "Frank the Tank" and you are sure as hell going to own that to fit in. Fast forward to varsity, getting my own car and then my own job lead to me ballooning to even bigger sizes. You might hear other people say, I dunno how it happened or excuses like that. IMO that is a bunch of bullshit, you know exactly whats happening when you over eat, you're just accepting of the consequences at that stage. Hopefully though people will hit a type of "rock bottom" before those consequences kill them.

In my case my size was starting to affect how I lived. It stopped me from going to events, concerts or certain places. Before going out to a restaurant I would try find pictures of the chairs so that I knew I could fit into them. If I was invited to a party or a braai at a friends place I would make sure I took a big ass chest cooler box, partly for all the booze, but mostly because I could sit on it, the average plastic garden chair was a no go for me. In other words I wanted more from my life.

In the last half of 2017 I came across a story by @beetle001 on twitter had lost 60kgs in 12 months. I found that amazingly inspiring and I thought if he could do it I could. So I picked a date, end of January 2018 and I was going to start.

Fast forward to the end of Jan '18 and I started. I knew I was going low carb, so I started by cutting out the obvious carbs(potatoes, pasta, rice, bread and beer :( ) and Sugar(I used to drink at least 2l of Coke a day). That first week and a half was rough, the "Keto flu" is real, my brain was rebelling against the lack of sugar and I was moody AF. I stuck with it, and once I got though that it was pretty much plain sailing. I'm a pretty obsessive person so I read and read and read and read about banting/keto/lchf/low carb. I tweaked my diet further looking at things like food lists and the like. I would probably say I leaned more towards keto, as I found it a little less restrictive as banting in terms of things like artificial sweeteners and IIFYM( If it fits your macros). I think the most important thing is that you find what works for you, trying things and testing what it does to your weight loss.

So I didn't have a scale that I could stand on at the end of Jan '18 so I decided to give this diet a try for a month and then buy a scale, and hope by hell it would weigh me. So after 1 month of dieting I bought a scale, and I stood on it, a reading came up. First thought was, "Great, I didn't waist my money" then the number started to sink in, 234.4Kgs...... One single human.... two hundred...and thirty four....kilograms. That number was earth shattering but I knew I was the only one to blame and only I could change it. So I was now more motivated than ever.

In terms of exercise, I just started going for a walk in the afternoons after work. I think I started out doing 900ms around the block and I was dead the first few times I did that. I think I had to take at least two breaks during that short route when I first started. One of the things I found the most empowering was the improvements in times, taking fewer breaks, being less dead after the walk and walking further. I eventually bought myself a set of dumbells and a kettle bell , and added that to my weekly routines.

After a few months I discovered IF and introduced this into my routine. I was consistent with this and the weight started falling off, I mean it was bad that I was eating steak, eggs and more biltong than ever before. In my opinion consistency is the key. Yes i did cheat at times but I tried to plan my cheats as much as possible, and if you did have no option but to cheat, try let go of the guilt and just get straight back to your routine at the next meal. Your next meal is you first opportunity to get back on track.

Fast forward to today and I'm 80kgs down, regularly doing 5km park runs, lifting heavier weights, thinking about joining an actual gym and wearing some clothes I last wore 15 years ago. You don't get a second chance at life, but I sure as feel as if I have given mine a second wind. 20kgs to go to my original goal of losing 100kgs, and then who knows.

/This post got a little longer than I thought it would, sorry for the long monologue
Wow man. Much respect!

InvisibleJim

Thanks for sharing and setting such an impressive example. Looking forward to seeing you hit that 100Kg goal not long from now.

Last edited:

TheAssister

The main thing is you don't give up bro carry on pushing

Fcon_Vpro

Could it be possible that my weight is stuck because I'm at a stage where the fat is turning in to muscle?
I assume you mean that you are building muscle and losing fat rather than actual fat turning into muscle.
Its hard to give you an answer.
You are in the early days of training so you could be building muscle (which you should see when your muscle mass goes up and your body fat % goes down). In people who have trained for a long period of time, building muscle on a calorie deficit is nearly impossible.
According to your last results you posted, it says your basal metabolic rate is 1829 calories.
Try eat 1300calories per day and see what results you get after a week or 2. Thats a 500calorie deficit per day.
Have you used something like myfitnesspal to track your daily calories? That should help you identify where you could be going wrong.