Vodacom Data Balance Utility

theiris

Hi

I have created an easy-to-use desktop application to check your Vodacom contract data usage. Check it out here

Antonf

Expert Member
Good for you...
Ginggs' MDMA is brilliant for PPDBs.

Why Vodacom can't/won't dump VMC and go for something as user-friendly and effective as MDMA is beyond me...

skydog

Expert Member
Hi

I have created an easy-to-use desktop application to check your Vodacom contract data usage. Check it out here

Just downloaded and tested.
Really cool and useful. well done.

Suggestions if i may.
Make the window the table comes back a bit bigger (or resizable) so it is easier to read.
Save the login creditials if possible so you dont have to re enter them

rodga

Honorary Master
nice app
any chance u can get it workin on topup contracts?

theiris

Top Up data

It would be possible, however I would require a Top Up account (which I dont have) login on Vodacom4me to create such an app or modify the existing app.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
While I'm sure the idea of this program is noble, please remember you are entering your personal data in an application you've got no idea about.

A more dishonest programmer could be using something like this to harvest login details.

We did construct a lite page for bundle info a few years ago based on requests from this forum.

Pyro

Expert Member
While I'm sure the idea of this program is noble, please remember you are entering your personal data in an application you've got no idea about.

A more dishonest programmer could be using something like this to harvest login details.

We did construct a lite page for bundle info a few years ago based on requests from this forum.

Link?

skydog

Expert Member

100% agreed. one never knows were your login details could be going.

I didnt know that lite page existed. (now i do)

But well done to theiris for this little app keep it up. all the best for all the other stuff you develop.

Pyro

Expert Member
[post=371200]Details here...[/post]

Thanks IC + V3G!

Less noise was never a bad thing :)

Now for you guys to make a little web service to get the latest balance (on request perhaps) from the site and sync it with the client.

theiris

I did submit this application formally to Vodacom in an effort for them to purchase it and market it as a Vodacom product and hopefully eliminate any possible fears people may have around the security of this application - however did not receive any response. Even a "no thank you" would have sufficied. Anyway, as the developer of this utility all I can do is reassure the users of the application that I am in no way tracking/recording/manipulating there private credentials for my own personal use/gain! If you choose to save your login details on YOUR pc, your details are encrypted. Remeber, nobody is forced to use this application, it is entirely your choice!

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
I did submit this application formally to Vodacom in an effort for them to purchase it and market it as a Vodacom product and hopefully eliminate any possible fears people may have around the security of this application - however did not receive any response. Even a "no thank you" would have sufficied. Anyway, as the developer of this utility all I can do is reassure the users of the application that I am in no way tracking/recording/manipulating there private credentials for my own personal use/gain! If you choose to save your login details on YOUR pc, your details are encrypted. Remeber, nobody is forced to use this application, it is entirely your choice!

Unfortunately we get flooded with product ideas and it tends to go into a long pipeline.

We recently introduced CAPTCHA on 4me and while it's ad-hoc at the moment, it will become standard for all logins in the future. A b!tch, I know, but we have terrible issues with people using the free SMS's on 4me to spam.

Unfortunately, once this kicks in, your app will not work anymore.

How about the 'lite' page? Is that not good enough?

What would be cool is to add a alert system to your app where a user can set a number of alerts based on the values coming back.

rodga

Honorary Master
i tried the lite page, but its of no use to me
im on top up but cant see any of my data bundle info

theiris

Thanks vodacom3g. I have just checked out the 'lite' page and it looks sufficient - if I had only know about this page some time ago!

Regarding your comment on alerts, please could you clarify: "based on the values coming back", what values? Would that be based on the data volume being transaferred?

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Thanks vodacom3g. I have just checked out the 'lite' page and it looks sufficient - if I had only know about this page some time ago!

Regarding your comment on alerts, please could you clarify: "based on the values coming back", what values? Would that be based on the data volume being transaferred?

As I always say, first ask! :)

Instead of the user watching the amount of data left, your program has a pre-set threshold and will pop up an alert when you get to that level.

Say you've bought a 1GB bundle but you want to be alerted when you hit 200MB. Your program gets the unused portion back, so can easily generate this alert.

We do have such a system in place to send a SMS, but we determine the threshold values. With your program, you can make it user configurable.

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Unfortunately we get flooded with product ideas and it tends to go into a long pipeline.

We recently introduced CAPTCHA on 4me and while it's ad-hoc at the moment, it will become standard for all logins in the future. A b!tch, I know, but we have terrible issues with people using the free SMS's on 4me to spam.

Unfortunately, once this kicks in, your app will not work anymore.

How about the 'lite' page? Is that not good enough?

What would be cool is to add a alert system to your app where a user can set a number of alerts based on the values coming back.

Hi V3G, how about you guys expose a web service for us? Then we can write our own apps, alerts, etc :-D