Vodacom dodgy behaviour, won't unsubscribe from services.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Vodacom called, initially tried to blame a dodgy game, but she has none installed.

The only apps on the phone are stock apps - she only uses the phone for communication. It's a shitty entry level phone.

Anyways, they've refunded her, and said they've blocked the service (again). Let's hope it's for good.

---

One thing I don't get - why would Vodacom allow dodgy apps to subscribe people to their own services? What's in it for the app creator?

Daruk

Honorary Master
@xrapidx - Resolving matters with large corporations demands patience and sticking to proper admin procedures.
Inspite of what others state the basic principal will always function, not like our media that rely on "hearsay" as a basis of fact.
Remember that the written system provides good grounding for legal action. The verbal " you say,I say" is doom to fail.
Seriously, it's just easier to port to Telkom.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ja I have just looked at my VC provided phone. Android 5. No VC play app installed. So it seems a new thing?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Well - it hasn't stopped - Vodacom commited to reverse the charges, and did so daily for a couple of days, and have now stopped.

My mom also stopped receiving the "Welcome to Video Play service" even though the R5/daily is still deducted.

WASPA won't assist as the service is a direct Vodacom service.

My parents are now going to the bank to put a stop to the debit order, its an "airtime" based contract, and the airtime is wiped out by Vodacom's unwanted service - with Vodacom seeminly unable or unwilling to stop their own service from re-subscribing.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
On the 31 st, the "My Vodacom" App updated itself on my phone.
[Already, that p1ssed me off, I have auto-updates disabled, but it seems VC deems itself above honouring that for their own rubbish].
I had to re-initialise all sorts of passwords to access what I used the day before. In the process, I saw a new option:
Under Other Vodacom Apps:
one of which is "Video Play" On my phone, if you click on that it takes you to a new webpage where you are offered a 30-day free trial, and in the T&Cs there is a reference to how to "deregister". I never followed the links ---- not looking for trouble but it would seem that unless you follow the process to deregister, after the 30-day trial it is assumed you want the service and hence the recurring charge. It is a dirty trick, precisely what the WASP lot are up to and an unacceptable practice on VCs part.

Last edited:

Solarion

Honorary Master
Can you completely block the number it's coming from? I'm all in favor of not beating around the bush and simply IP block or number block anything that's pissing me off.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Don't know. The only action I have would be to completely delete the "my Vodacom" app, which means I lose the ability to monitor data usage.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Funny thing, my mom can't even log in to the Vodacom app, it just gives an error.

Looks like the only way for them is to stop the debit order - Vodacom are now back at square one advising to unsubscribe using the USSD menus, basically ignoring everything already done, and admitting to not knowing why it's happening.

They're also refusing to o acknowledge the Video Play Service as one of their services.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Would a screen shot off my phone help?
You don't need to log in to see the other vc apps available.

Also, a search in the android app store for Vodacom apps brings up a list of their apps available including this one.

The costs are NOT clearly stated. How to de-register is also not all that obvious.
There is a contact email address however that might be useful?
video.play@vodacom.co.za. They ask for the VC number affected to help resolve issues.
The reviews are both positive and negative with quite a few complaints about how to de-register.

Last edited:

CB40

Do what I did and send them an email with the words in big red letters "If this is not stopped with immediate effect and the money refunded I will lay a charge of theft against Vodacom"
Worked like a charm and got my refund.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Would a screen shot off my phone help?
You don't need to log in to see the other vc apps available.

Also, a search in the android app store for Vodacom apps brings up a list of their apps available including this one.

The costs are NOT clearly stated. How to de-register is also not all that obvious.
There is a contact email address however that might be useful?
video.play@vodacom.co.za. They ask for the VC number affected to help resolve issues.
The reviews are both positive and negative with quite a few complaints about how to de-register.
Thanks - I got it on my phone - my parents already left on the 26th.

I'll ask my mom to email that address as well -

What's annoying is that Vodacom keeps giving them the runaround, and won't actually admit Video Play is their service, they keep saying she's playing/downloading dodgy "games" on her phone which register her for the service. I still don't get what's in it for a game developer to register a subscriber for a Vodacom service where.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
After much hassle, my mom says the charges have finally stopped - maybe Vodacom returned to work this week.

She won't be renewing her contract at the end of the perioud.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
After much hassle, my mom says the charges have finally stopped - maybe Vodacom returned to work this week.

She won't be renewing her contract at the end of the perioud.
Good because this is why I left Vodacom many years ago... Unethical company from start to finish!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
VC brag openly in their financial statements about the success of OTT services especially the video one, then in practice try and deny the existence of these WASP like Apps and if you look into them, you see how easy it is for the unwary or less skilled can get themselves into trouble, and then how difficult it is to find out how to get out of these things if you did by accident subscribe.
It is pathetically unethical and unacceptable.
And then to rub salt into the wounds at the hands of extremely badly trained support staff and shop assistants.
The latest version of myVC is crawling with buried links just one careless poke at the screen and you are in trouble.
It is the heart of the problem and why I detest smart screen technology so much. It is no longer beneficial to mankind. It is now just another way to abuse customers.

peter560306

@xrapidx - As always and repeated again is this advise which applies to most other consumer matters. The resolution can only be resolved in written format and not via this forum.

1) Submit an official written complaint via email to customercare@vodacom.co.za that has been properly constructed clearly stating the problem at hand requesting a refund of all subscriptions ensuring you receive a Service Reference number.
2) Allow for 7 Business ( Mon - Fri /Excl Public Hols) days to resolve.
3) If NOT resolved only then compose a properly constructed email to ceo@vodacom.co.za using the given Service Reference Number as the first word in your subject line eg. Acuuuuuuu- Illegal WASP services.
4) You now have an reasonable prospect in resolving the problem.

Festive session greetings :)
I have tried emailing this address numerous times and have been ignored. Is there another that I can try?