Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still getting disconnects with a splash of DNS time-outs and a sprinkling of zero throughput.
 
My diginet line have been flapping all day. Will check if there's a wider problem.

Please. I have just had another session of zero throughout and had to disconnect/reconnect to get online.

Are the upgrades all done now, or are the guys still tinkering?
 
One would expect Vodacom's data services to be at its best around prominent shopping malls, but it seems not to be the case. I would expect the area around the N1 City Complex to be a priority with excellent signal quality, but its not so. High contention?
 
I (and some of my colleagues) are having problems with throughput and disconnects. I connect in Newlands and Pinelands with similar results. Really poor now. Used to work well.
 
I (and some of my colleagues) are having problems with throughput and disconnects. I connect in Newlands and Pinelands with similar results. Really poor now. Used to work well.

I'm in Claremont and have been having various problems with disconnects etc for a month now. The problems have only gotten worse, resulting in me having no access to internet from last Thursday evening to this evening (Monday). Seriously unimpressed. It would connect, but no downloading, just uploading. Now I have been able to access the internet, but it works in bursts. It's fast for half the time, and then it suddenly stops throughput and gets zero download for the other half.

I can only deduce that it's the network. Can't someone tell us what Vodacom is up to and why the connection is so bad, and when the problems will stop? At this point I'm wondering whether it's worth going to buy a new data bundle on Thursday seeing as though I can't actually use it?

/rant
 
Centurion down as well

Well, I am almost about to get in the car to see if there is any signal left in Centurion.

155 says its a general network failure (or something.... bla bla bla experiencing problems.... bla bla bla)

Hope they fix it soon...

Not looking good Vodacom
 
The feedback I got was that there was a transmission problem somewhere that was actively being worked on. Whether that is only the problem in my case I am not sure (as in my tower). It may affect other people in the Cape Town area (or not).
 
Hi proxilin,
my problems seem exactly the same as yours. On-off-on-off and it does not seem stable. Not useable. I'm in Pinelands this morning and have been disconnected 3 times in 40 mins.
 
Here's a bit of a weird problem i have.

I'll start by asking, what APN the Vodafone UK APN uses?

My morning started at 9am like every other morning. But this time with 5 customers. All with the EXACT same issue. DNS errors. They can all connect, but they cannot browse the internet.

The first 2 customers i assumed it was something on their PC's blocking throughput so i referred them to techie to look at it.

Third Customer. Same thing. I troubleshoot as i did the first 2, but to no avail. 2 more walk in. Same issue. Call ADS, they say its a Network Issue.

Fair enough. Network Issue. But...

For each of those customers that had this throughput issue, their modems and SIM's work PERFECTLY in mine, and MY SIM didnt work in theirs.

So i asked the guy at ADS how it can be a network issue when it all works good in mine? He couldn't give me an answer.

A few minutes later a lady calls in who i helped this morning saying that they changed the APN to Vodafone UK and it work.

At this point my face was like :confused: and my mind like :eek:

Then, ANOTHER guy comes in. Same problem. Can connect but no throughput. So just for the fun of it, i changed the APN Vodafone UK.

It worked. And unfortunately smilies doesnt have the smiley to convey my facial expression...

So what gives? :confused:
 
Here's a bit of a weird problem i have.

I'll start by asking, what APN the Vodafone UK APN uses?

My morning started at 9am like every other morning. But this time with 5 customers. All with the EXACT same issue. DNS errors. They can all connect, but they cannot browse the internet.

The first 2 customers i assumed it was something on their PC's blocking throughput so i referred them to techie to look at it.

Third Customer. Same thing. I troubleshoot as i did the first 2, but to no avail. 2 more walk in. Same issue. Call ADS, they say its a Network Issue.

Fair enough. Network Issue. But...

For each of those customers that had this throughput issue, their modems and SIM's work PERFECTLY in mine, and MY SIM didnt work in theirs.

So i asked the guy at ADS how it can be a network issue when it all works good in mine? He couldn't give me an answer.

A few minutes later a lady calls in who i helped this morning saying that they changed the APN to Vodafone UK and it work.

At this point my face was like :confused: and my mind like :eek:

Then, ANOTHER guy comes in. Same problem. Can connect but no throughput. So just for the fun of it, i changed the APN Vodafone UK.

It worked. And unfortunately smilies doesnt have the smiley to convey my facial expression...

So what gives? :confused:

Any idea if they all had the same antivirus software?

According to Google Vodafone UK also uses the internet apn. Maybe the DNS settings are different?:confused:
 
Any idea if they all had the same antivirus software?

Nope. Not the same AV Software. I even disabled the Firewall and AV on their PC's, same thing happened.

According to Google Vodafone UK also uses the internet apn. Maybe the DNS settings are different?:confused:

Weird. Because using the Vodacom SA APN (which also uses the internet APN) didnt work. And there are no DNS settings configured on their PC's. [-]Or do you mean for each of those APN's they have different DNS settings which is configured into the connection profile?[/-] Just realised those connection profiles come by default with JUST the APN and dial-up number.

What boggles me is that nothing MY MACHINE changed. And mine worked with the same settings they had, but theirs didnt.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X