Vox Fibre Feedback

jannier

Expert Member
Hi,

Anyone in the Cape Town region using VOX as there ISP?
Would like to know how the overall experience is especially on Vumatel?
latency, bandwidth speeds versus package speed.

Pienats

Just get Cool Ideas. They might cost a bit more than Vox (not sure though), but you certainly get what you pay for. Excellent latencies for online gaming, and I don't recall ever not getting my package speed in the last 6 months.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Just get Cool Ideas. They might cost a bit more than Vox (not sure though), but you certainly get what you pay for. Excellent latencies for online gaming, and I don't recall ever not getting my package speed in the last 6 months.
He is already with us, so this is a concern.

CPTBoy

Expert Member
I'm personally extremely happy with them.

I've had zero issues running a 200/200 uncapped account for a couple of months now.

Gambit

Expert Member
When I first started using VOX 200/200 on Vumatel Cape Town in October last year I was not getting full speeds at peak times but they resolved the issue after about a month of me bitching, everything has been great since. Usually always get 200 up and down locally and international is pretty decent. London speed tests can go as high as 150Mbps. Their support is also decent. They are 24 hour and if you setup a time for them to call you back to troubleshoot they don't forget. They have offered to call me back when I called them for support to save me the cost of the call.

The only thing that might be an issue is they give you a mikrotik router which they manage. This has pros and cons as it enables their support guys to easily log into the router and test the line and troubleshoot issues. The downside is they have a backdoor into your local network which some people will not accept on principle. They will give you access to the router if you sign a waiver but Mikrotik routers are not intended for home users and are way more complicated to configure then home routers. If you don't know what you are doing you can easily expose your devices to the internet. I have been using the Mikrotiks for years so I was happy with the supplied router as I can do more advanced things with it. I opted to do a factory reset on mine which has locked Vox support out.

You can always use another router with a WAN port if you not happy with the Mikrotik or VOX having access to your router.

Last edited:

rawoke

Ja Vox usually isn't too bad... They usually right up there up with the top ones..

JFT96

Vumatel / Vox
Uncapped
100/100
Sonstraal Heights - CPT

Initial migration to vox fiber was painful. We were with vox on adsl but then we had a nightmare trying to get billing sorted. Their internal admin is seriously screwed up. They wanted us to give notice to go from vox adsl to vox fiber. Absurd.

Then there was no handling of the Telkom cancellation (which the consultant said they would do) so we’re double debited for 3 months for adsl and fiber

I’m currently about to start bitching about my line speed. International is rarely more then 50% of the speed I’m paying for and local is often around 70/70

Our work requires uploading and downloading large files from international servers so local speeds are meaningless. I’m not sure what the standard deviation is on international bandwidth vs local. What is the typical bandwidth for international on Cool Ideas on a 100/100 line?

Gambit

Expert Member
Vumatel / Vox
Uncapped
100/100
Sonstraal Heights - CPT

Initial migration to vox fiber was painful. We were with vox on adsl but then we had a nightmare trying to get billing sorted. Their internal admin is seriously screwed up. They wanted us to give notice to go from vox adsl to vox fiber. Absurd.

Then there was no handling of the Telkom cancellation (which the consultant said they would do) so we’re double debited for 3 months for adsl and fiber

I’m currently about to start bitching about my line speed. International is rarely more then 50% of the speed I’m paying for and local is often around 70/70

Our work requires uploading and downloading large files from international servers so local speeds are meaningless. I’m not sure what the standard deviation is on international bandwidth vs local. What is the typical bandwidth for international on Cool Ideas on a 100/100 line?
Are you getting 70/70 over wifi or cabled connection?

JFT96

WiFi 5ghz. Using the supplied Mikrotik router. It is better when testing via cabled device though. Increases to around 90/90

I’m still with Vox for now. Not sure it’s gonna be better anywhere else.

One other thing though, international is still low on Vox even when testing cabled and isolating network activity to that single device. Querying this with them Vox reckon 50/50 international is “very good”.

Maybe I should just be grateful?

Sopbeen

WiFi 5ghz. Using the supplied Mikrotik router. It is better when testing via cabled device though. Increases to around 90/90

I’m still with Vox for now. Not sure it’s gonna be better anywhere else.

One other thing though, international is still low on Vox even when testing cabled and isolating network activity to that single device. Querying this with them Vox reckon 50/50 international is “very good”.

Maybe I should just be grateful?
lol @ paying for 100mbit and only getting half of that. Imagine any other service where that would be acceptable. Pay full price but only get half your pizza.

I got tired of Vox's corporate attitude toward service. It felt like I was dealing with Mweb all over again. 4 Months after I cancelled my vox service, they invoice me just under R3k for the VOIP Phone and Router they left here. Nobody informed me they wanted it back, nor did anybody attempt to contact me.

If you are really running a business over the fibre, consider signing up for a business account somewhere else. The extra money hurts until something goes wrong and the SLA kicks in. Having engineers respond to problems within minutes instead of days helps a lot :) - better quality bandwidth too.

Deanoblado

There is not alot of VOX feedback on this forum, i hope that's because everything is just working? Moving to vox next month.

Sopbeen

There is not alot of VOX feedback on this forum, i hope that's because everything is just working? Moving to vox next month.
So 4 months after leaving vox, they sent me a invoice for R2700. This is for the VOIP phone and router that I was supposed to get for free. They didn't inform me they wanted it back.

So they deducted the amount from my account. I sent the hardware back. I had to follow up on whether they received it, because they didn't even know their own courier had picked it up. They finally confirmed they received it.

Its now more than 2 weeks later with no refund in sight.

Stay away from Vox unless you want to get fcked around.

Sinbin: Telkom, Mweb, Afrihost, Vox Telecom.

mrudling

I got connected last week and so far im very happy.

On 200/200 Uncapped/Unshaped on Vuma.
Vuma install was quick and easy and the guys were neat, polite and overall very good at what they do.
No issues with Vox, im using my own Mikrotik router and after going through support to set it up, i was setup and running.

Im running an older router, so max out my CPU at 150meg. Will feedback when I get my upgraded one.

Internet if flying and all i need now is to work out what to do with all this speed....

StoneCold

Expert Member
all i need now is to work out what to do with all this speed....
If I were you, I'd host a few gaming dedicated servers for starters and also stream to Twitch just because you can. I can't see why the majority of people would ever need more than a 100/50 line. Not dissing you for going 200/200 (I would too if I had the opportunity) :D

mrudling

Not a bad idea. Reason for 200/200 is simply "Rands per Meg" - Also, my neighbors might enjoy it too :)

If I were you, I'd host a few gaming dedicated servers for starters and also stream to Twitch just because you can. I can't see why the majority of people would ever need more than a 100/50 line. Not dissing you for going 200/200 (I would too if I had the opportunity) :D

Matriaz

Ping this for me please, its a gaming IP for World of Warcraft, curious as to ping from Joburg 185.60.112.157