Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Since I've gotten uncapped, my usage has actually decreased:
1559992071261.png
Though the biggest factor is that I basically stopped watching movies/series, that's about 40-50GB reduction probably.

Rest of the house also decreased, highest usage is probably Dstv Showmax, since its compression sucks.
1559992150958.png
1st one is mostly YT streaming, second is since I downloaded Mordhau and then updates for ~10 games, 3rd one is updates/download completion for BF3 (I had a partial copy on my machine as cancelled deletion once long ago), 4th is literally linux distros and moving a large number of documents to a friend who has unstable net (torrent can easy resume for a 2GB file, and it took him like 6 hours to download it on an unstable 1Mbps line, so if disconnect happens during http download, has to restart), 5th is iperf tests for CISP and one for Atomic, 6th is Spotify streaming, but mostly as I save all songs offline as high quality.

Vox I used to do ~120GB on this laptop, one 6 hour window when I first got my 100Mpbs OpenServe line I did ~250GB two nights in a row, that was "linux distros" since I wanted to see what I could do in that time. I've turned into a rookie.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Since I've gotten uncapped, my usage has actually decreased:
View attachment 669133
Though the biggest factor is that I basically stopped watching movies/series, that's about 40-50GB reduction probably.

Rest of the house also decreased, highest usage is probably Dstv Showmax, since its compression sucks.
View attachment 669135
1st one is mostly YT streaming, second is since I downloaded Mordhau and then updates for ~10 games, 3rd one is updates/download completion for BF3 (I had a partial copy on my machine as cancelled deletion once long ago), 4th is literally linux distros and moving a large number of documents to a friend who has unstable net (torrent can easy resume for a 2GB file, and it took him like 6 hours to download it on an unstable 1Mbps line, so if disconnect happens during http download, has to restart), 5th is iperf tests for CISP and one for Atomic, 6th is Spotify streaming, but mostly as I save all songs offline as high quality.

Vox I used to do ~120GB on this laptop, one 6 hour window when I first got my 100Mpbs OpenServe line I did ~250GB two nights in a row, that was "linux distros" since I wanted to see what I could do in that time. I've turned into a rookie.
Amateur these days lol

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
For my personal laptop, yeah, other devices in the house, not so much.

YT data usage decreased a lot since I enabled the AV1 flag in FF and opted in on testtube: https://www.youtube.com/testtube
Just makes my fan spin up sometimes, but doesn't really matter as it's during gaming (and uses 10-15% CPU vs 8-12%).
Well I'm still on Adsl. But I have one problem in terms of disconnects at least a few times a day. Not sure if my IP cameras are causing the disconnect or what. Is there some programme I can check to see what is causing the disconnects?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Vox or Google is redirecting JHB Google traffic to Google CPT servers. Could just be because JHB servers are full or congested so get around 29ms to Google currently because traffic is going to CPT.

Dianysis

Expert Member
Thanks. Will check them out.

I am just getting a bit frustrated with this whole situation as I have gotten hold of Vox (again) and they just seem to be going in circles with my issue.

Detka

Hi Again, So Vox in CPT is dead again in southern subburbs. Had same exact issues on 7th of may. What a ****ing pathetic joke. Anyone can recommend a decent isp?

Dianysis

Expert Member
I see you are considering changing to Afrihost....

How you looked at Infogro.co.za? They are pretty decent from the tests I've done
Their Capped accounts unshaped?

Can't seem to find anything about that. They do say that Home Uncapped may be subject to throttling and shaping in their T's and C's. But can't find any info about their capped accounts.

Also - when it says 200 GB (double up), does that mean I will get 400 GB? Or is it 100 GB that has been doubled to 200 GB?

Last edited:

WAslayer

Expert Member
It is probabaly telkom but i do not deal with telkom and vox should manage that from their side. at the end of the day i have to deal with the same exact ****.
Doesn't matter who your ISP is if the issue is with Telkom.. don't imagine ISPs have any difference in dealing with Telkom than we do.. sure they may have access to log faults on the system, but beyond that they are powerless..l

Detka

Doesn't matter who your ISP is if the issue is with Telkom.. don't imagine ISPs have any difference in dealing with Telkom than we do.. sure they may have access to log faults on the system, but beyond that they are powerless..l
listen i get it. At this point i would love maybe a new rack or someone who has better relationshipt with telkom. I have exact same issue every month. thank you for your white knight contribution defending vox.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Vox dead here as well
12mb adsl

Ping: 60ms
Download: 2.52Mbps
Upload: 0.71Mbps

EDIT: Definitely telkom.. Line syncs at 12mb, other ISPs gave a similar speedtest result

WAslayer

Expert Member
listen i get it. At this point i would love maybe a new rack or someone who has better relationshipt with telkom. I have exact same issue every month. thank you for your white knight contribution defending vox.
That's my point, all ISPs have the same relationship with Telkom, because Telkom is Telkom..

Detka

Like i do not get do some of you really think just because it is a Telcom problem Vox should be excused? are you for real?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Their Capped accounts unshaped?

Can't seem to find anything about that. They do say that Home Uncapped may be subject to throttling and shaping in their T's and C's. But can't find any info about their capped accounts.

Also - when it says 200 GB (double up), does that mean I will get 400 GB? Or is it 100 GB that has been doubled to 200 GB?
They offer a free account. Maybe try and see how it performs. The double up does not show so 200GB (DOUBLED) is actually 400gb anytime. They do not have uncapped after hours like others but when I tested their capped accounts on my fibre line they actually gave me the best latency to games in eu.

Might be worth it to test with free capped which is also doubled data and see how it works out. They run their own network from ipc to transit.