Web Squad ISP

Zodiak

We're again trying to see if it's not an MTU issue with Evotel. Please can you reboot your router just to ensure it clamps at a lower MTU.
I see the router MTU is set to 1480, I believe it is what you set it to when we did the troubleshooting a few weeks ago. Should I change it?

Zodiak

Rebooted the router, unfortunately the results remain the same, Youtube still buffers on start and international speed, well see for yourself:

Zodiak

Ok, just retested Youtube and it no longer buffers on start of a video, so something changed for the positive. However, the international speed issue remains

websquadza

WebSquad
I see the router MTU is set to 1480, I believe it is what you set it to when we did the troubleshooting a few weeks ago. Should I change it?
That's odd, your router should have dropped its MTU. Not sure how well the Tendas handle this. Can you please drop to 1380 to test? Your pppoe session is showing 1380 on our end (which is where it should be for this test), but if your router doesn't know this, it can be problematic.

websquadza

WebSquad
Ok, just retested Youtube and it no longer buffers on start of a video, so something changed for the positive. However, the international speed issue remains
Yeah, we've dropped their peering for now until their NOC gets their act together.

Zodiak

That's odd, your router should have dropped its MTU. Not sure how well the Tendas handle this. Can you please drop to 1380 to test? Your pppoe session is showing 1380 on our end (which is where it should be for this test), but if your router doesn't know this, it can be problematic.
So the router didn't auto set this (maybe it relies on the ONT settings not sure), I manually set to 1380, rebooted and tested. Youtube is working ok now, opens videos instantly which is great. Unfortunately, the Cape Town speedtest and the International speedtests didn't improve at all, still around 2 megs internationally.

websquadza

WebSquad
So the router didn't auto set this (maybe it relies on the ONT settings not sure), I manually set to 1380, rebooted and tested. Youtube is working ok now, opens videos instantly which is great. Unfortunately, the Cape Town speedtest and the International speedtests didn't improve at all, still around 2 megs internationally.
Apologies, set your router to 1400 and reboot. I faintly remember Tenda routers not obeying their own MTU configs, was hoping this is resolved with the AC8. One last test please, can you connect your computer directly to the ONU and set up a PPPOE from there? Evotel did follow up on your ticket today, so anything else I can give them.

Zodiak

Apologies, set your router to 1400 and reboot. I faintly remember Tenda routers not obeying their own MTU configs, was hoping this is resolved with the AC8. One last test please, can you connect your computer directly to the ONU and set up a PPPOE from there? Evotel did follow up on your ticket today, so anything else I can give them.
Sure thing, will set it to 1400 now and reboot, I can also connect directly to the ONU no problem but I need my username/password if possible, could we take this conversation to e-mail and you could maybe e-mail me my username/password?

websquadza

WebSquad
Morning everyone, sharing a quick update on the International routes

Repair vessel is at the break site. Repair work has commenced and expected to be completed on the 8th of February 2020 weather permitting.

We are still routing connectivity over alternative paths, increased latency is to be expected. We have just been advised as well that the Eastern Africa region is now also under strain following a subsea failure on one of the main cabling systems between Djibouti and Europe. Segment 2.3 on the EIG cabling system is currently down. No ETR has been shared.

websquadza

WebSquad
On a positive note. We’ve extended our Octotel 1Gbps promo until the end of Feb. R1499 for 1 Gbps for the first 12 months. Use checkout code OCTO1G in order.

Seeyou

Expert Member
On a positive note. We’ve extended our Octotel 1Gbps promo until the end of Feb. R1499 for 1 Gbps for the first 12 months. Use checkout code OCTO1G in order.
Are there any T&C's on this offer? Like a penalty fee for leaving before a certain amount of time, or something like that?

websquadza

WebSquad
Are there any T&C's on this offer? Like a penalty fee for leaving before a certain amount of time, or something like that?
Our standard Ts and Cs apply here. Cancel within the first 6 months and you need to return our router as well as pay a R799 cancellation fee (this is to offset the subsidised activation etc). After 6 months, just return our router.

websquadza

WebSquad
Oh and anyone looking at Octotel, we support IPv6 natively here.

websquadza

WebSquad
Update on Googlegate: After hours of back and forth with multiple teams at Google, they still haven't figured it out. We found a pretty simple solution though - Google has 2 x 100G peering points at NAP Africa JHB, and simply turning down our sessions with one of these resolved any and all Google related issues. Things are looking much better since yesterday, so happy YouTubing and Google Playing!

DarkSt0rm

Twitch is also a LOT more stable tonight, not getting any buffering on a 8000Mbit stream for a change :)

DarkSt0rm

@websquadza I know it was mentioned sometime last year, but do you think you would be able to set up a local apt mirror for a linux distro that desperately needs it? https://docs.parrotlinux.org/mirror-list/#make-your-own-mirror