Web Squad ISP

websquadza

WebSquad
So where's the Multigigs at? I see American and UK people sporting with 10gbit connections on fibre. They also boasting about the 5G speeds which seems to be around 1.6gbit to 1.8gbit.

Surely there must be options of 2gbit in SA already ?
There was a brief chat about this some time back. Most, if not all FTTH infrastructure is limited to 1G in South Africa. I don't think anyone has 10G GPON running yet, and Vumatel's trenched network's entire switching fabric is built from Huawei S57XX switches that are 1G ports to the client. 10G Metro Ethernet is gaining momentum, so we're seeing 1G - 10G starting to creep into business and in the Datacentre - which is good. But the fact is 10G Network interface devices are pricey (CPEs and ONUs specifically) and the demand/use case simply isn't there to upgrade fabrics to 10G for FTTH. Getting 10G between datacentres is still prohibitively expensive for most networks.

Let's first get more and faster local content (it doesn't matter how big pipes to the rest of the world are, 1G + only works well at low latencies). I'm seeing many local CDNs and mirrors limiting their servers down since the explosion in 1G FTTH has taken off. Two specific linux mirrors seem to be limited to <500 Mbps now. Let's push for gaming servers in SA so mates playing against each other in Cape Town don't have to connect to a server in the EU.

What I'm getting at is let's get an ecosystem delivering content at 1G + perfectly while FNOs sweat their assets a little and by the time they upgrade, they'll have a reason to go 10G.

DarkSt0rm

Let's first get more and faster local content (it doesn't matter how big pipes to the rest of the world are, 1G + only works well at low latencies). I'm seeing many local CDNs and mirrors limiting their servers down since the explosion in 1G FTTH has taken off. Two specific linux mirrors seem to be limited to <500 Mbps now. Let's push for gaming servers in SA so mates playing against each other in Cape Town don't have to connect to a server in the EU.

What I'm getting at is let's get an ecosystem delivering content at 1G + perfectly while FNOs sweat their assets a little and by the time they upgrade, they'll have a reason to go 10G.
To be honest 500Mbit is still bloody fast, 200Mbit would be the bare minimum I'd say.

As far as I know, the reason there is a lack of game servers is that they are architected around major cloud provider infrastructure (like AWS and mostly AWS I believe), so changing the deployment and management strategy for a few thousand players won't happen. Gone are the days where game servers were deployed in large, homogeneous, bare metal deployments across several different data centers.
When AWS launches locally I'm praying there will be an influx of local servers, I'm so tired of being nailed by high ping in competitive games... Assuming AWS launches at prices that aren't as insane as what Azure is, but I suspect they will given the high cost of hardware in this country :/

I'll just be happy with a little more than 100Mbit upload... Is it really not possible to threaten *cough ask nicely cough* someone at vumatel to allow 1000/200?

Napalm

Expert Member
There was a brief chat about this some time back. Most, if not all FTTH infrastructure is limited to 1G in South Africa. I don't think anyone has 10G GPON running yet, and Vumatel's trenched network's entire switching fabric is built from Huawei S57XX switches that are 1G ports to the client. 10G Metro Ethernet is gaining momentum, so we're seeing 1G - 10G starting to creep into business and in the Datacentre - which is good. But the fact is 10G Network interface devices are pricey (CPEs and ONUs specifically) and the demand/use case simply isn't there to upgrade fabrics to 10G for FTTH. Getting 10G between datacentres is still prohibitively expensive for most networks.

True. I agree with getting the rest of the network upto speed. Local servers upto spec. Don't test-drive a Lambo if you haven't even driven a BMW 335. It's bound to go bad quick.

My main thinking was.. 5G is going to see heavy uptake this year and next year. If they going to be pushing above the 1Gbit. I know it's prolly local only traffic going above the 1.5gbit and 1.8gbit. Remember 5G is also super low-latency. I've seen some vids comparing it to ADSL pings, but not quite stable as fibre.

Sopbeen

So it seems the Web sQuad ISP thread celebrated a bit of a milestone yesterday! This thread is now 1 year old! Thank you to the members who have contributed to this little community!
You guys have the secret sauce. Don't change the recipe.

websquadza

WebSquad
Any updates on the cable fix? :)
Any day now. WACS break one is fixed. Break 2 fix was delayed by weather but should be up soon. Fingers crossed Feb 16th predictions are right. Once fixes are done, we anticipate a short “soak” time. But the light is near- so to speak.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Any day now. WACS break one is fixed. Break 2 fix was delayed by weather but should be up soon. Fingers crossed Feb 16th predictions are right. Once fixes are done, we anticipate a short “soak” time. But the light is near- so to speak.
Feel bad for other ISPs that are still suffering along on their badly reduced capacity

Seeyou

Expert Member
Depends on the FNO? DHCP for Vumatel trenched (This is a Vumatel thing) and PPPoE (with IPv4/IPv6 dual stack) pretty much everywhere else. May I ask why it's a concern?
Not really a concern as such. I'm on Octotel and was just wondering. I had awful throughput on Cool Ideas when I was with them - switched to AH and suddenly saturated my line, no other changes. CISP used PPPoE and AH uses DHCP but it probably wasn't a factor - I'm merely curious.