Web Squad ISP

Sopbeen

Drop a ticket, they still respond to that after-hours. But yes, their call center is never opened by their claimed 7am and always closes before their claimed 6pm
Tried to login via mobile, but that didn't work. Had to tether to login and drop a ticket. lol I'm curious to test these advertised times now, its a pet peeve of mine when people pull that crap.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza bit miffed to find out the callcentre is closed by 17h20? Even though your advertised times are 08h00-18h00? Whaddup with that?

Lines aren’t meant to be closed. Seems like a glitch on the PBX time conditions- we’re all sitting around and not getting calls. Looking into this and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Team is looking at your ticket now. We keep email support open late into the evening too.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Tried to login via mobile, but that didn't work. Had to tether to login and drop a ticket. lol I'm curious to test these advertised times now, its a pet peeve of mine when people pull that crap.

What mobile you coming in from? Will get the PBX time configs sorted ASAP.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Sorry for the second reply.

In your post requesting results from a gigabit line, you mention this:

Before I moved to Websquad, I had been on both Webafrica's 300/100 (which was 1000/100 in actuality, they do not throttle the line) and Bitco's 1000/100 (which routes through JHB). On both those providers I hit 900+ mbit to Johannesburg.

Just out if interest here. You’re on trenched 1G? Mind if I reach out and run some tests?

No shortage of capacity on our backhaul(s) between Cape Town and Joburg. And our tests from the DC return full gigabit speeds on our VM environment.

Edit. Based on your responses. You are. Have you tried running these tests using the Speedtest.net app or via chrome?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
[mention]websquadza [/mention]- not sure if it’s just me but I seem to have stopped getting emails from Accounts when an invoice is generated. Have to go to the portal to find the invoice. Not too important I guess, just a heads up, was super easy to forget to make payment this month.

Have you opened a ticket with the team for this? I’ll check up on this for you- please pm me your details.

Sopbeen

What mobile you coming in from? Will get the PBX time configs sorted ASAP.
Tried to login via Chrome on a xiaomi mi 9 SE - running MIUI Global 12.04 (FNB mobile if thats important)

All good in the hood regarding the PBX. Happened to us too :D

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

Just out if interest here. You’re on trenched 1G? Mind if I reach out and run some tests?

No shortage of capacity on our backhaul(s) between Cape Town and Joburg. And our tests from the DC return full gigabit speeds on our VM environment.

Edit. Based on your responses. You are. Have you tried running these tests using the Speedtest.net app or via chrome?

Any tests you'd like done I'd be glad to run for you.

Vumatel Trenched 1G CPT.

All tests were run in Chrome on a wired 1G connection. If you'd like to drop me some JHB server ID's I'd gladly run them on the CLI app as well for you.

An update, seems like I'm getting 1G across to JHB now. Not sure what would have caused the slow results from earlier as I was the only one using the net at the time:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/11361948263

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

Vumatel Trenched 1G CPT.

All tests were run in Chrome on a wired 1G connection. If you'd like to drop me some JHB server ID's I'd gladly run them on the CLI app as well for you.

An update, seems like I'm getting 1G across to JHB now. Not sure what would have caused the slow results from earlier as I was the only one using the net at the time:

We’ve seen odd Chrome based Speedtest.net results these last few days- task manager shows 100% CPU usage at anything above 500-600M at times (across servers (4-8vcpu Xeon) and desktops (i7)).

Download the windows app / CLI test (both of which talk to the network stack natively) and we’re seeing line wire and minimal cpu usage. Not sure if it’s a change in Chrome’s engine or Speedtest.net’s system.

Good to know you’re back to speed on JHB

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Please see https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/web-squad-isp.1007232/post-27311885 - these tests on a Vumatel line show the exact same degraded speeds to JHB as my Octotel line.

The only way I'll be able to determine if this really is not an issue with Websquad will be to try another ISP, if I cancel today would that still be considered a months notice?

@JustAnotherSouthAfrican confirmed he’s seeing the right speeds to JHB. Definitely an Octotel issue on your side. Your PCAP also confirmed this last week.

Been chatting to L2 at Octotel- they say there’s nothing (as always).

You’re welcome to move away, but this won’t fix your issue. Now we need to put pressure on Octotel to sort this out, which we’ve started.

Hingisp

Vumatel Trenched 1G CPT.

Damn nice. I don't recall getting 1G speeds to Jhb. Vumatel trenched dbn. Here's my WS server test to Jhb.. Around 570Mbps.
fa7af9721ce6f64ebaf32fe25cd60e85.jpg

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Damn nice. I don't recall getting 1G speeds to Jhb. Vumatel trenched dbn. Here's my WS server test to Jhb.. Around 570Mbps.

Also no capacity issues on these routes. Drop us a ticket so we can see what’s happening here.

Edit: I remember we’d chatted about this last year and was resolved after our switch changes. Happy to look at this again.

Last edited:

craig1606

[mention]websquadza [/mention]- not sure if it’s just me but I seem to have stopped getting emails from Accounts when an invoice is generated. Have to go to the portal to find the invoice. Not too important I guess, just a heads up, was super easy to forget to make payment this month.
I've logged 4 calls about this exact issue now. Still no resolution.
@websquadza please chat to your support staff. It's clearly not junk / spam issues.

Last edited:

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

Ouch. Tried the WebSquad speedtest server in JHB: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/0b8b45af-88e5-49a4-84ec-f66d8d6bfcb2
0b8b45af-88e5-49a4-84ec-f66d8d6bfcb2.png

My best guess is to avoid testing using their speedtest server, maybe it's just so popular everyone is using it?:)

Tried some more JHB speedtest servers:
Vox: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/2a52aa49-f8e5-4a44-a794-60664c70a296
2a52aa49-f8e5-4a44-a794-60664c70a296.png

MTN: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/e4626897-929b-4a55-b576-ad91abbc4a27
e4626897-929b-4a55-b576-ad91abbc4a27.png

Afrihost: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d41c91ea-eef1-4404-a242-7c8d80e3a1d1
d41c91ea-eef1-4404-a242-7c8d80e3a1d1.png

These tests were all done on a quiet line, the only person using it was me to perform these tests. Also moved to speedtest-cli because I'm back on Linux.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

Remote speed tests are always a mixed bag, especially to a region like KZN where most servers are 1G or less.

Depending on the ISP in the region’s capacity and their national peering presence, as well as the route they choose back to our network- results can vary as you see above. Same happens within a region, but more pronounced on exchanges with less diverse peers like Durban. Ideally everyone advertises their prefixes equally on all exchanges and hands over traffic at the closest exchange (hot potato routing) and our transmission carries this nationally (NLD).

Seeyou

Expert Member
Worth noting also that both your router and the machine/device you're testing from need adequate CPU resources to hit gigabit speeds. If they don't, or you're multitasking with some heavy CPU usage in the background you'll see large fluctuations in your results and also likely not be able to reach max throughput.