Web Squad ISP

JOEY_8

@websquadza The quality is gone really bad now, unfortunately (for DSTV Now). It's not buffering that much but it is very blurry, like 360p.

JustinB

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

Remote speed tests are always a mixed bag, especially to a region like KZN where most servers are 1G or less.

Depending on the ISP in the region’s capacity and their national peering presence, as well as the route they choose back to our network- results can vary as you see above. Same happens within a region, but more pronounced on exchanges with less diverse peers like Durban. Ideally everyone advertises their prefixes equally on all exchanges and hands over traffic at the closest exchange (hot potato routing) and our transmission carries this nationally (NLD).

That makes sense, thanks!

Worth noting also that both your router and the machine/device you're testing from need adequate CPU resources to hit gigabit speeds. If they don't, or you're multitasking with some heavy CPU usage in the background you'll see large fluctuations in your results and also likely not be able to reach max throughput.

All my tests are done on a machine easily capable of handling gigabit, and my firewall is a quad-core (i5-6600) pfsense build with only the bare-basic for firewalling and routing enabled.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

The random CT results are usually some funky routing on the source side back to us; the rest hit us on peering in CT and we carry it back up to JHB over our NLD.

Mauritius Telecom looks like a peering issue, they have a local presence at NAP and on the route servers, but don't seem to be using that for their traffic. Sending their NOC a mail.. Emtel and Rogers (other Mauritian operators) have BLP with us and should be much closer (+-70ms).

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Seen one of the highest speeds I've seen to JHB yet, still subpar but anything is better than nothing I guess.

Cape Town reference:

Beylie

Expert Member
Anyone else using Elysium on WS? Mine has gone to !@#.

@websquadza The files I'm streaming are hosted on the same servers as these:

https://speed.hetzner.de/10GB.bin
http://ping.online.net/10000Mo.dat

What speed am I supposed to get to these servers? A while back I was getting 70-100Mbit, now with / without CDN I'm struggling to get above 100kb/s.

I'll log a ticket as well but am sharing here in case someone else experiences the same.

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

Anyone else using Elysium on WS? Mine has gone to !@#.

@websquadza The files I'm streaming are hosted on the same servers as these:

https://speed.hetzner.de/10GB.bin
http://ping.online.net/10000Mo.dat

What speed am I supposed to get to these servers? A while back I was getting 70-100Mbit, now with / without CDN I'm struggling to get above 100kb/s.

I'll log a ticket as well but am sharing here in case someone else experiences the same.

Hetzner speed test is averaging in the 12 - 15 MB/s (~100mbit):

Screenshot 2021-05-05 175856.png

Seeing slightly less to online.net:

Screenshot 2021-05-05 180031.png

Vumatel Trenched CPT, 1000/100.

abudabi

Expert Member
Hmmm, thanks @JustAnotherSouthAfrican I'm on Openserve so there must be some sort of issue upstream or with my setup all of a sudden. I'll for WS support to get back to me. Super frustrating.
I'm on a 50 meg OS line in JHB North. Both links gave similar results... never consistently maxing the line; only spiking up and down and then settling in the 25-30mbit region.

1st link
1620246461733.png

2nd link
1620246290353.png

Beylie

Expert Member
Thanks, abudabi. Had a few friends at different ISPS on Openserve as well and theirs perform fine. So either my account is stuffed somehow or there's something wrong that I'm missing. Not getting much joy from support at this point. @websquadza please? #658870

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Thanks, abudabi. Had a few friends at different ISPS on Openserve as well and theirs perform fine. So either my account is stuffed somehow or there's something wrong that I'm missing. Not getting much joy from support at this point. @websquadza please?

We're looking into it, which is why support reached out last night and provided you with different credentials to test. Our support team will be in touch - they are just running a few extra checks.