Web Squad ISP

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Run directly over the router, no wifi or cable is needed, so there is nothing to get in the way of the speed that I should be getting. I use popular speed test servers: CISP, VOX, Afrihost, etc. The best speed I got was on mybroadband, with 340mbps.
Welcome! Sorry to hear the first day isn't 100% - Sounds like a line issue of sorts, seen this with faulty SFPs on trenched network or bad provisioning with GPON. Have you escalated a ticket to support? I'll get them to look at this and escalate.

tehan

Welcome! Sorry to hear the first day isn't 100% - Sounds like a line issue of sorts, seen this with faulty SFPs on trenched network or bad provisioning with GPON. Have you escalated a ticket to support? I'll get them to look at this and escalate.
Yes, I have, and they have escalated to Vumatel. I'm on what used to be SADV, so that also might have an effect. Will have to wait and see.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Yes, I have, and they have escalated to Vumatel. I'm on what used to be SADV, so that also might have an effect. Will have to wait and see.
Looks like a provisioning issue. We’ve escalated to Vuma

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi @websquadza I want to join you guys after my notice period.
Given my current ISP 1 month notice.
I have sent you Private message.
On Vuma trenched Springs.

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

@websquadza Just out of curiosity, all my speedtest results say that I'm ~450 miles away from Cape Town, when I live in Cape Town - what's that all about?

20616157-1100-4dba-bc4e-07cc912543ee.png

Seeyou

Expert Member
Was 1gbps on Octotel always R1599? I swear I remember it being R1499, but that could've been a while ago, or a promo.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Just out of curiosity, all my speedtest results say that I'm ~450 miles away from Cape Town, when I live in Cape Town - what's that all about?

20616157-1100-4dba-bc4e-07cc912543ee.png

Maxmind (who operate the GeoIP DB) that Ookla use here seem to be all over the place with their updates lately- you request one update and other parameters go crazy. Will submit this as a request, we usually specify Rondebosch as a location for CPT IPs. Basically maxmind is a DB that provides an approximate location for your IP, it won’t ever be 100% exact, but ideally we’d like to see it in the same province .

JustAnotherSouthAfrican

Inaccurate IP geolocation probably.

Maxmind (who operate the GeoIP DB) that Ookla use here seem to be all over the place with their updates lately- you request one update and other parameters go crazy. Will submit this as a request, we usually specify Rondebosch as a location for CPT IPs. Basically maxmind is a DB that provides an approximate location for your IP, it won’t ever be 100% exact, but ideally we’d like to see it in the same province .

Shot, thanks guys.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Internet been down all morning. Is Octotel having issues again? Nothing in the status pages.

Ticket opened.

EDIT: Resolved. There was a mix up with a cancellation I placed back in May so my service is now cancelled. Been fun, maybe see you again some day!

Last edited:

Seeyou

Expert Member
Internet been down all morning. Is Octotel having issues again? Nothing in the status pages.

Ticket opened.

EDIT: Resolved. There was a mix up with a cancellation I placed back in May so my service is now cancelled. Been fun, maybe see you again some day!

Who are you trying next?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Who are you trying next?
Looks like I'll be going to Cool Ideas - was with them in 2019 but they had so many issues back then, it looks to be that those issues are behind them now so I'll give them another go.

I also considered going back to Rocketnet, I was with them before moving to Websquad and I cancelled with them because they didn't offer the 1Gbps Octotel service at the time. I see they do have it now but I'm just a little concerned about being the beta tester on their brand new 1Gbps product, CISP just has more experience here. I did have the least amount of issues on Rocketnet, things worked really well for me there.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Looks like I'll be going to Cool Ideas - was with them in 2019 but they had so many issues back then, it looks to be that those issues are behind them now so I'll give them another go.

I also considered going back to Rocketnet, I was with them before moving to Websquad and I cancelled with them because they didn't offer the 1Gbps Octotel service at the time. I see they do have it now but I'm just a little concerned about being the beta tester on their brand new 1Gbps product, CISP just has more experience here. I did have the least amount of issues on Rocketnet, things worked really well for me there.

I was also with CI originally, but it felt like back then network and routing changes were taking place constantly and my experience one week would be completely different from the next. What eventually pushed me to leave were the inconsistent NNTP speeds I was experiencing after one such network change. I could barely manage 12-15MB/sec on a 200mbps line. It was blamed on Octotel's packet loss (fair enough) except that when I left for AH and then afterwards WS, I could easily saturate the line with NNTP.

I'm sure they've sorted out the issues by now, so I'd be interested to hear your experience.