Web Squad ISP

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
felt like back then network and routing changes were taking place constantly and my experience one week would be completely different from the next
Yup, exactly my experience. They were constantly tinkering with things which was really annoying.

This is why I enjoyed Rocketnet so much, everything just worked and worked consistently - and when it didn't it was usually a fault on Octotel's side. That was on 200Mbps though so I'm not sure about the 1Gbps experience.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
After my unexpected disconnection yesterday I just want to provide some feedback on what happened and how it could have been handled better.

On May 26 I sent a cancellation request for my service to be terminated at the end of June. I thought this was 6 months after sign-up but I was a month early (6 months would be at the end of August) and told support to just close the ticket and I would contact them closer to the time again.

On Jul 8 I received an email from WS asking me if I still wished to cancel my service at the end of August. At the time I had an open issue with my internet dying due to triggering their DDOS protections so I asked WS if I could let them know later depending on whether my issue was resolved (didn't want to cancel if the issue got fixed). That was on Jul 10 and received a response from WS saying that's all good.

Time went on and I got busy and never bothered following up further, the DDOS triggering issue was still open and I had just mitigated it for now by severely limiting the connection count on NNTP downloads (to a point where downloads are just unacceptably slow for a 1Gbps service).

I had just expected that seeing as I have never given any explicit instruction to cancel the line that it would just continue. I was just lazy and didn't feel like following up on the DDOS issue again.

Come Sunday Aug 1, my internet is dead. I first suspected it was an Octotel issue as we had just had a huge outage in Blouberg 2 days prior, so I contacted support and and eventually was told that my line was cancelled and released at midnight. I was offered assitance to re-activate the line with them as soon as possible but I decided that as my DDOS issue wasn't resolved I may as well just cut my losses and move on and try my luck with another ISP.

The biggest issue here was that I had no idea that my line was due to actually get cancelled. Sure I'm probably partly to blame here for not following up more diligently but this all could have been avoided by just being notified that my line was indeed getting cancelled. Just an automated mail scheduled a week in advance and another a day prior to the cancellation informing me that it's happening.

On a side I also find it very peculiar that there is no customer retention plan on cancellations - there was zero attempt to try and get me to stay. Maybe this is because I'm not considered to be worth it because I'm a relatively high usage customer, I don't know. While I appreciate that there is no friction when trying to cancel, I wouldn't be offended with a company trying to retain customers in a friendly non-obtrusive way.

@websquadza Thanks for all the assistance over the past 6 months, much appreciated.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
After my unexpected disconnection yesterday I just want to provide some feedback on what happened and how it could have been handled better.

On May 26 I sent a cancellation request for my service to be terminated at the end of June. I thought this was 6 months after sign-up but I was a month early (6 months would be at the end of August) and told support to just close the ticket and I would contact them closer to the time again.

On Jul 8 I received an email from WS asking me if I still wished to cancel my service at the end of August. At the time I had an open issue with my internet dying due to triggering their DDOS protections so I asked WS if I could let them know later depending on whether my issue was resolved (didn't want to cancel if the issue got fixed). That was on Jul 10 and received a response from WS saying that's all good.

Time went on and I got busy and never bothered following up further, the DDOS triggering issue was still open and I had just mitigated it for now by severely limiting the connection count on NNTP downloads (to a point where downloads are just unacceptably slow for a 1Gbps service).

I had just expected that seeing as I have never given any explicit instruction to cancel the line that it would just continue. I was just lazy and didn't feel like following up on the DDOS issue again.

Come Sunday Aug 1, my internet is dead. I first suspected it was an Octotel issue as we had just had a huge outage in Blouberg 2 days prior, so I contacted support and and eventually was told that my line was cancelled and released at midnight. I was offered assitance to re-activate the line with them as soon as possible but I decided that as my DDOS issue wasn't resolved I may as well just cut my losses and move on and try my luck with another ISP.

The biggest issue here was that I had no idea that my line was due to actually get cancelled. Sure I'm probably partly to blame here for not following up more diligently but this all could have been avoided by just being notified that my line was indeed getting cancelled. Just an automated mail scheduled a week in advance and another a day prior to the cancellation informing me that it's happening.

On a side I also find it very peculiar that there is no customer retention plan on cancellations - there was zero attempt to try and get me to stay. Maybe this is because I'm not considered to be worth it because I'm a relatively high usage customer, I don't know. While I appreciate that there is no friction when trying to cancel, I wouldn't be offended with a company trying to retain customers in a friendly non-obtrusive way.

@websquadza Thanks for all the assistance over the past 6 months, much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback here, and I do apologise for the lack of a follow up to ensure you were proceeding with the cancellation. Our retentions team do reach out to clients who want to move away, but I think the mixup with regards to the continuation and DDOS service requests led to a bit of confusion - and a dropped ball. This was addressed in this morning's team meeting to ensure a) communication isn't dropped (including looking automated mailer options), and b) retentions needs to follow up more.

Generally, given strict FNO's cancellation terms (and associated line rental billing)- it is prudent for us to log cancellations with the FNO as soon as they are requested. It's easier for us to rescind a cancellation request at the 11th hour than to leave it to the last minute, land up with an irate client demanding an immediate release, and land up footing a further 30 and sometimes 60 day line rental bill (depending on the date and the FNO's cancellation police) despite lines being released. Unfortunately, your cancellation wasn't rescinded in time.

Thanks for the support and input, we've definitely valued it!

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
@websquadza Any updates from Vumatel?
Our team has re-escalated to Vuma. The ticket was updated to say re-provisioning is done, but it's still showing an error on their portal. For some context, Village / Old SADV headend and client equipment is still managed by SADV (for some unknown reason), not Vumatel, so it's a pass on the message game when getting Village issues sorted (we can't contact SADV directly). Don't worry, we are following up with Vuma and AEX to resolve this.

tehan

Our team has re-escalated to Vuma. The ticket was updated to say re-provisioning is done, but it's still showing an error on their portal. For some context, Village / Old SADV headend and client equipment is still managed by SADV (for some unknown reason), not Vumatel, so it's a pass on the message game when getting Village issues sorted (we can't contact SADV directly). Don't worry, we are following up with Vuma and AEX to resolve this.
Sounds like a massive pain. Also, Vuma really needs to get their act together. Good luck, and thanks for the help!

rvanwyk

Expert Member
After a few days of waiting for Vumatel to correct ASN numbers and my previous ISP to release my line, I am finally on WebSquad! Thanks Carl and Norah.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Whoa, that doesn't look right at all. Anything else looking bad? Have you checked for any obvious packet loss?
i tried a different server to test to and i got 150/200 , maybe that coreix server was messing around ?

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
i tried a different server to test to and i got 150/200 , maybe that coreix server was messing around ?

It could be. Weird though, their server is pretty consistent. But everyone has a bad day. Could have also been a routing issue somewhere upstream of Coreix

rvanwyk

Expert Member
We don’t run our own recursors at the moment. We allocate Cloudflare and Quad9 by default.
Thanks. Using 1.1.1.1 at the moment and noticed Prime Video takes long to start playing compared to previous ISP. Thought it might be DNS related.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Thanks. Using 1.1.1.1 at the moment and noticed Prime Video takes long to start playing compared to previous ISP. Thought it might be DNS related.

Could be a MSS issue, What router are you using? Checked Prime quickly this side, loaded quickly. But worth checking out.

Last edited:

rvanwyk

Expert Member
Yeah, very weird. Using a USG. All i did was change the PPPoE login details when I moved. I will monitor.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Yeah, very weird. Using a USG. All i did was change the PPPoE login details when I moved. I will monitor.
Ah, the USG needs a manual MSS change on the WAN port. Can you try change your MSS to 1420?

tehan

@websquadza Do you have any new information for me from Vuma? I am not getting a response from my latest message to support. Ticket 964479