Xbox Series X / S

theratman

Honorary Master
Really enjoyed the series s plus GP over the last few weeks. The storage space is an issue but I manage it by moving games over to an external when not playing them, to save having to redownload. I suspect I'd have the same issue but to a much lesser degree on the X. I still want a ps5 but gamepass is making me reconsider that, it's just such good value and I'm yet to use it on my "gaming" pc.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Really enjoyed the series s plus GP over the last few weeks. The storage space is an issue but I manage it by moving games over to an external when not playing them, to save having to redownload. I suspect I'd have the same issue but to a much lesser degree on the X. I still want a ps5 but gamepass is making me reconsider that, it's just such good value and I'm yet to use it on my "gaming" pc.
I have nearly hit the space limit on my X, but the extra space gives a lot more freedom. When I got mine I installed all the games I wanted to play first. Since then I've played a lot so I'm slowly cleaning up :D I have used gamepass on PC in March last year, but not since. It's a great nice to have though.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member

I install & play all my games off external. 1TB 5400 Laptop HDD. Only have Kodi and some other apps installed internally

To give an idea:
1610029678916.jpg
This pic was taken last week Monday... have since installed Odyssey and AC 3. Still have about 100 Gig left on the external.

Speed also not an issue as games load fast and quick resume still works as well.

Savy561

I install & play all my games off external. 1TB 5400 Laptop HDD. Only have Kodi and some other apps installed internally

To give an idea:
View attachment 996694
This pic was taken last week Monday... have since installed Odyssey and AC 3. Still have about 100 Gig left on the external.

Speed also not an issue as games load fast and quick resume still works as well.
Thumbs up and appreciation for having crash n sane trilogy and ori will of the wisps installed!:thumbsup:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Thumbs up and appreciation for having crash n sane trilogy and ori will of the wisps installed!:thumbsup:

Sadly I did not pick or play those or tetris and Zuma for that matter... so cant take the credit, but TY :D

theratman

Honorary Master

To give an idea:
View attachment 996694

Cheers, I only briefly tried running one off the external (ssd) and it loaded ok but I never tried to play, so I'll give that a shot later and see how it goes. It's the large titles that are the issue, I have RDR2, Warzone and Gears 5 as the main culprits.

IMG_20210119_110431.jpg

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Cheers, I only briefly tried running one off the external (ssd) and it loaded ok but I never tried to play, so I'll give that a shot later and see how it goes. It's the large titles that are the issue, I have RDR2, Warzone and Gears 5 as the main culprits.

Gears (Anything with X/S in the logo) will have to stay internal, for the rest just make sure the external is SATA 3 else you will notice speed drop.

Oh and I use the rear USB slots, dont know if that has any impact but like to keep the front open for charge cable or such.

martin

Expert Member
Can anyone recommend some rechargeable AA Lithium batteries? I happened to have some of these on-hand: https://www.takealot.com/energizer-aa-ultimate-lithium-batteries/PLID15125837 and decided to test two of them in the controller. I am VERY impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Multiple multi-hour gaming sessions over the weekend and it's still reporting as full. On my normal rechargeables, I'm lucky to get two gaming sessions (of 1 - 2.5 hours) from the batteries and they're fairly newish.

Last edited:

theratman

Honorary Master
Gears (Anything with X/S in the logo) will have to stay internal, for the rest just make sure the external is SATA 3 else you will notice speed drop.

Oh and I use the rear USB slots, dont know if that has any impact but like to keep the front open for charge cable or such.
That's a big help thanks. Just had a quick look at Tomb Raider and Rude off the external, both ran well :)

YM_80

Can anyone recommend some rechargeable AA Lithium batteries? I happened to have some of these on-hand: https://www.takealot.com/energizer-aa-ultimate-lithium-batteries/PLID15125837 and decided to test two of them in the controller. I am VERY impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Multiple multi-hour gaming sessions over the weekend and it's still reporting as full. On my normal rechargeables, I'm lucking to get two gaming sessions (of 1 - 2.5 hours) from the batteries and they're fairly newish.
The green rechargeable Energisers have worked well for me for years.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Can anyone recommend some rechargeable AA Lithium batteries? I happened to have some of these on-hand: https://www.takealot.com/energizer-aa-ultimate-lithium-batteries/PLID15125837 and decided to test two of them in the controller. I am VERY impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Multiple multi-hour gaming sessions over the weekend and it's still reporting as full. On my normal rechargeables, I'm lucking to get two gaming sessions (of 1 - 2.5 hours) from the batteries and they're fairly newish.

I use these: https://www.takealot.com/energizer-aa-2300mah-rechargeable-batteries/PLID28058169

I now have 2 older energizer rechargables (I don't know how old these are, and when last they were used, so performance isn't great as they've been sitting for possibly years). The new ones are much more boss. I get a lot of life out of them. When the one set dies, I swap them out with charged ones and start charging the dead ones. So I always have at least one fully charged set waiting to go.

martin

Expert Member
The green rechargeable Energisers have worked well for me for years.
I use these: https://www.takealot.com/energizer-aa-2300mah-rechargeable-batteries/PLID28058169

I now have 2 older energizer rechargables (I don't know how old these are, and when last they were used, so performance isn't great as they've been sitting for possibly years). The new ones are much more boss. I get a lot of life out of them. When the one set dies, I swap them out with charged ones and start charging the dead ones. So I always have at least one fully charged set waiting to go.
Thanks gents, these seem to be NiMH though? I would really like to get my hands on some rechargeable Lithium AA batteries if such a product exists.

(I was gifted what looks like a fairly decent Lithium charger that I would like to put to good use if possible)

EDIT: can't find anything available locally. While 14500s are the right size, they're not the right voltage. Amazon has some options available but as far as I know, shipping batteries internationally is not something they're fond of.

Last edited:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

I use the same ones. Get about 40-50 hours of use before I have to swap them out

ld13

Honorary Master
Thanks gents, these seem to be NiMH though? I would really like to get my hands on some rechargeable Lithium AA batteries if such a product exists.

Have never seen rechargeable lithium batteries at retail level locally. The NiMH ones work just fine for us. Each set is marked so that they do not get mixed up, and there is always at least 4 charged batteries on stand-by.

theratman

Honorary Master
Forgot to commend you on the clean white set-up. Not everyone can go that route and keep it neat.

Personally I opted to join the dark side
Thanks, not entirely by choice. The lady insists on the floating shelf and no cables, which is a pain with the way everything is setup, pretty far away from the plug.

Plan on getting some white cable covers to neaten it up a bit, but that's about as far as I want to go. Need to plug my mecer inverter in too :)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Thanks, not entirely by choice. The lady insists on the floating shelf and no cables, which is a pain with the way everything is setup, pretty far away from the plug.

Plan on getting some white cable covers to neaten it up a bit, but that's about as far as I want to go. Need to plug my mecer inverter in too :)
Open her bag, find your pair, and put them back on

We had the same fight though. In the end we settled that I get free reign over the lounge, and she gets the rest of the house...

theratman

Honorary Master
Open her bag, find your pair, and put them back on

We had the same fight though. In the end we settled that I get free reign over the lounge, and she gets the rest of the house...
Hahaha, I'm just glad to have it in the lounge, fortunately she plays on it a fair bit so it wasn't a long discussion, and it beats having to plug the laptop in.

But yeah, I'll take a TV stand over a floating shelf any day.