Your Favourite Open Source Software?

oldhat

Expert Member
I've added these apart from GeoGebra - I'm not sure on it's licensing or where to get the source. It says source code is GPL but there is a non-commercial use license that is quite prominent. It does look quite cool though.
Yes, it is a bit confusing:
We license the different component parts of GeoGebra differently depending on their origin (authorship) and depending on your intended use of GeoGebra (see also next question)

• the source code is licensed under the GNU General Public License to ensure consistency with the various other pieces of software and libraries which are used within the GeoGebra source code (for a complete list of which see: https://wiki.geogebra.org/en/Reference:Sources_For_Used_Libraries).
  • the GeoGebra installers (for various platforms including Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Android, iOS) and our web services (including GeoGebra Materials platform) are made available under our own licensing terms which have been drafted by an experienced law firm. We allow you to use the installers and web services for non-commercial purposes only provided you acknowledge GeoGebra; and
  • the GeoGebra language files are made available under a Creative Commons license, which allows non-commercial use of these files.
Thus, there are really many different licenses involved in the background.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thank you. Added.

This looks really good. Ironically, I could use a Windows version of this.
Found out today it supports multi-monitor setups too. So now I can have a Windows VM running that I RDP into and can use all three of my monitors like it would natively. I put it on a separate workspace and can flip between my Pop_OS and Windows desktops seamlessly.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
So the various AI's surveilling my internet browsing presented me with this Hackaday Article about a thing called Orbiter being open sourced. Apparently it is a realistic space flight emulator and looks quite cool.

It could qualify under a couple of categories but on balance I think I will put it under educational.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Photogrammetry/3D Reconstruction/Camera Tracking
Meshroom
That's pretty cool. I've added it in Graphics and Media as I'm trying to keep the categories quite broad.

I'd be interested to hear about your use case for this if you'd be willing to share. I imagine that the 3D printing crowd would have some interest in this but there must be plenty of other applications.

RA-ID-FAK

I'd be interested to hear about your use case for this if you'd be willing to share.
Yeah sure,

Work In progress
I need to design a car cellphone holder for my LGV60 dual screen. As the dual screen is an attachment, there are no cellphone holders for 'attachments'. So, I have an existing BASEUS (similiar) magnetic mount in my car.

Car mount ex.jpg
  1. Take 50+ photos of mount and dashboard
  2. Run it in Meshroom
  3. Export
  4. Bring it in Revit/Blender/Fusion360
  5. Model perspex holder (90% complete)
2021-08-01 10_05_45-Window - Copy.png

Then test design (re-iterative process) against car dashboard/tweak etc in 3D app and visualise in AR
End result would be QBond mounted with salvaged rare earth magnents from an old hard drive (repurposing)

...or so I hope :unsure:

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Yeah sure,

Work In progress
I need to design a car cellphone holder for my LGV60 dual screen. As the dual screen is an attachment, there are no cellphone holders for 'attachments'. So, I have an existing BASEUS (similiar) magnetic mount in my car.

View attachment 1118222
  1. Take 50+ photos of mount and dashboard
  2. Run it in Meshroom
  3. Export
  4. Bring it in Revit/Blender/Fusion360
  5. Model perspex holder (90% complete)
View attachment 1118220

Then test design (re-iterative process) against car dashboard/tweak etc in 3D app and visualise in AR
End result would be QBond mounted with salvaged rare earth magnents from an old hard drive (repurposing)

...or so I hope :unsure:
Nice project. Do you have the model from Meshroom yet? Just wondering how well it works and if it is accurate?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Too lazy to sit in my hot car in the sun now :laugh:, plus I don't want to hijack this thread
.....(This is a DIY build - where can I post progress?)
No problem. I think use of and value gained from the software is within the scope of this thread so no hijackage has occurred! Besides, I did ask and didn't mean to send you out to your hot car on my account.

There's a backyard projects thread and some others where you might want to show your project.