Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Waste

Blog Entries

Arrow e-Waste

This is a thread dedicated to e-waste handling and forumite experiences with it. Please list places you use and your experiences here pease.
    Last edited by antowan; 27-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

I found that Makro and Fujitsu-Siemens have partnered to offer e-Waste drop off points at Makro stores. I dropped off some dead CRTs and PSU's at the Centurion Makro today. Big crate with windows though which you dump the stuff. Felt a bit like killing a small deer when I smashed a dead CRT monochrome through the window, but I know it will be recycled responsibly (I hope)...

Ahh thanks...

Always wondered where to go with that old pc equipment standing around

I just did the same, at Makro in Strubens Valley. Felt a bit guilty as one of the monitors, though old, was still working. I don't think they will try to reuse monitors that have been dropped through those windows! Pikitup in Jhb also accept stuff - see http://www.pikitup.co.za/jit_default_838.html

For anything still usable, better to donate. There are a few organisations in the Cape - www.virginearth.co.za, www.justpcs.co.za - And at least one in Gauteng - PC Graveyard, see http://mybroadband.co.za/classifieds.../product/12758. (These are ones that replied to me - there seem to be a few more too.)

For really dead equipment, it seems to end up at organisations like Desco www.desco.co.za (including the bins at Makro). They have an interesting explanation of the reclamation process: http://www.desco.co.za/process.htm.

Master

where can i go dump all the junk in my deleted items folder?
    We are Dyslexia of Borg, Fusistance is retile, Your ass will be laminated

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by antowan View Post
    I found that Makro and Fujitsu-Siemens have partnered to offer e-Waste drop off points at Makro stores. I dropped off some dead CRTs and PSU's at the Centurion Makro today. Big crate with windows though which you dump the stuff. Felt a bit like killing a small deer when I smashed a dead CRT monochrome through the window, but I know it will be recycled responsibly (I hope)...
    is it there at the side next to the liquor depot? i got a whole load of old floppies, stiffies, cds and PC parts i want to rid myself of.

Blog Entries

I know pick and pay hypermarket centurion do old batteries(uniross supports here) and light bulbs, gives you a kind of kick knowing this most probably isn't going to land up in the garbage dump
    www.houseofmyglory.com
    I only use Ozone Friendly Language

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

We've been on a site visit to Desco and Costa took us through the whole process, incredibly interesting, if the volume is large enough they will even come and pick up all the old equipment free.
    MMA Un-caged

I have seen the bin at Makro in Ottery. It seems that it has gone national now. It's always been a frustrating search trying to find a place to handle ewaste, but hopefully now it will be easier in the future. I have some stuff I need to get rid of.

Makro Springfiled has a e-waste bin.
    Durban Metro landfills ( Beisarsar Road and Marianhill landfills boths have e-waste containers .
    "Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet."
    Bob Dylan

I wonder if these e-Waste collectors actually recycle stuff properly or just ship the stuff off to countries worse off than SA where people burn piles of broken PC stuff for the metals...
    4MB Line Powered By:
    Axxess Uncapped Express+
    Nexus Unshaped SAIX 5GB

Great thread...got loads of stuff and now I know where to dump it responsibly. Thanks guys!

Blog Entries

My work has a quite a bunch of stuff we need to get rid off... anyone in the CPT area who wants to collect? PM me please... its printers (those that are 'all in ones') as well as monitors (dead i think) and etc...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeridine View Post
    is it there at the side next to the liquor depot? i got a whole load of old floppies, stiffies, cds and PC parts i want to rid myself of.
    Yep.

I use a company called Computer Scrap Recycling, you can contact them on 082 555 4513. They also collect for free!
    I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast