Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 146 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Ideas Fiber ISP - Feedback

Default Cool Ideas Fiber ISP - Feedback

@PBCool

Very glad to see you have joined us at Mybroadband,

I just wanted to state that I have been using your service for approximately a week now and it has been fairly solid. I know in a previous posting you have stated that you guys don't throttle or shape your connections.

I have not been using the connection very heavily and been quite happy, though I have noticed some slowdowns at certain points when doing some large downloads.

I wanted to ask if you guys currently feel there might be some bottlenecks in the system that you will be upgrading in the future? e.g. your international data link.

Just out of curiosity who do you guys use to supply your international data, is it Seacom, WACS, ESSAy, SAT-3?

I have been using Cool Ideas for a few months now and have only had an excellent experience. I will happily recommend them to anybody!

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliPepper View Post
    I have been using Cool Ideas for a few months now and have only had an excellent experience. I will happily recommend them to anybody!
    Are you using Vuma for the FTTH service ChilliPepper?

Hi paulosouthafrica, we constantly monitor all our backhaul and upstream links, once we start to reach around 80% of capacity we would upgrade that circuit. Currently we are peaking at about 60/70% of our capacity with Seacom at peak times in the evening. But dealing with Seacom in general can be a bit tricky as they get certain local transit from other local providers which we really don't want from their IP service. The deal we have with Seacom is full redundancy over WACS which they have agreements between themselves to provide each other with redundancy and they also provide the low latency routing to London via the WACS cable, this allows for sub 160ms latency from Johannesburg to London.

We are also in the process of setting up peering at LINX directly for more flexibility and visibility on the international side of things.

I hope this answers most of your questions?
    Last edited by PBCool; 14-01-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks PBCool,

Lots of information that is very helpful in understanding the challenges as its not alway apparent to the end user how much goes on at the backend.

PBCool.

It seems as though our international bandwidth is not operating as of 4:19pm

I can ping local IPs but international IPs unable to ping to.

Blog Entries

Which IPs?

Google's peering in NAP Africa JHB is currently offline, no ETR.

Quote Originally Posted by PBCool View Post
    Hi paulosouthafrica, we constantly monitor all our backhaul and upstream links, once we start to reach around 80% of capacity we would upgrade that circuit. Currently we are peaking at about 60/70% of our capacity with Seacom at peak times in the evening. But dealing with Seacom in general can be a bit tricky as they get certain local transit from other local providers which we really don't want from their IP service. The deal we have with Seacom is full redundancy over WACS which they have agreements between themselves to provide each other with redundancy and they also provide the low latency routing to London via the WACS cable, this allows for sub 160ms latency from Johannesburg to London.

We are also in the process of setting up peering at LINX directly for more flexibility and visibility on the international side of things.

I hope this answers most of your questions?
    Hi, if you're a company rep, could you please make your account into a company rep account, just PM rpm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6136410418

Thanks stroebs

Cant ping
    Google 8.8.8.8
    CNN 157.166.226.25

Can ping
    openDNS: 208.67.222.222

Blog Entries

Looks like multiple international cable failures, whole of Seacom is down it looks like.

We're routed over WACS at the moment, working fine.

Hi paulosouthafrica, yes there is apparently both a Seacom outage and a portion of WACS out. We will update as we get from them.

Looks like it is. Thanks for the updates Stroebs!

Out of curiosity where are you looking at seacom's uptime?

I noticed a steady decrease in quality of service leading too long wait times on web pages, this become even more noticeable when I moved from cool ideas to home connect web pages loaded almost immediately.
    I'm just wondering if any one else has noticed bad quality service on cool ideas?
    Last edited by dstvnothingon; 25-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dstvnothingon View Post
    I noticed a steady decrease in ping quality leading too long wait times on web pages, this become even more noticeable when I moved from cool ideas to home connect web pages loaded almost immediately.
    I'm just wondering if any one else has noticed slow ping on cool ideas?
    Slow ping to where or what exactly?
    Cool Ideas Service Provider - www.cisp.co.za

What router does Cool Ideas provide with their packages?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 146 123451151101 ... LastLast