2017 International Tests

"something special is happening with springbok rugby"

Good lord.... The commentators are practically tumescent, it's the French playing dreadfully. Calm yourself

mbayshark

Expert Member
"something special is happening with springbok rugby"

Good lord.... The commentators are practically tumescent, it's the French playing dreadfully. Calm yourself
This..... at the end of there season. Not much to get excited about. No reason to be this positive yet.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Article that I have read earlier,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/06/23/france-making-springbok-revival-look-easy/

France making Springbok revival look easy

South Africa, reeling from an abysmal record in 2016 of four wins in 12 Tests, have been taking on France, who had hinted at progress during this year's Six Nations under Guy Noves in his second year in charge.

Their pairing together in June pointed towards an epic series between two sides each seeking a return to former glories.

Instead, after the first two matches in a three Test series the Springboks lead 74-29 on aggregate and have been comprehensively the better side. Those hopes back in the spring that France were on the verge of troubling the world's best again now feel a little foolish.

Results by almost exactly similar margins - 37-14 and 37-15 - have asked interesting questions of both teams.

Continued in link
Naas Botha is positive. Nick Mallet is placing the acclaim on Brendan Venter. So yah... On this note, Venter is appointed on the short-term, and currently he is only to be involved in this test series. Will have to see.

sand_man

Honorary Master
This..... at the end of there season. Not much to get excited about. No reason to be this positive yet.
I wonder if there will still be back slapping, hugging and high fives when we taking 50 from the All Blacks later in the season? :p

The important thing is the spirit building in the squad. All the players are working hard, there is a strong desire to do well and to add value. It's a good place to start.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I wonder if there will still be back slapping, hugging and high fives when we taking 50 from the All Blacks later in the season?

The important thing is the spirit building in the squad. All the players are working hard, there is a strong desire to do well and to add value. It's a good place to start.
When you look at the Baby Blacks team, and you look at the current All Blacks team, then you have to ask questions about the structure of Rugby in the country. We seem to focus a lot on 7's Rugby these days Imo, a format of the game similar to T20 cricket, and less on test matches. We still don't have a set identity, in terms of the way we want to play the game across all levels and stick to it.

If you look at the All Blacks, there is an easy switch from Junior Blacks into senior team, because they ensure that the youngsters play the same brand of rugby. With the Springboks, the juniors play a specific brand, the Super Rugby teams have a specific style, the Springboks a different one, and it's just much more difficult to adjust.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
When you look at the Baby Blacks team, and you look at the current All Blacks team, then you have to ask questions about the structure of Rugby in the country. We seem to focus a lot on 7's Rugby these days Imo, a format of the game similar to T20 cricket, and less on test matches. We still don't have a set identity, in terms of the way we want to play the game across all levels and stick to it.

If you look at the All Blacks, there is an easy switch from Junior Blacks into senior team, because they ensure that the youngsters play the same brand of rugby. With the Springboks, the juniors play a specific brand, the Super Rugby teams have a specific style, the Springboks a different one, and it's just much more difficult to adjust.
You just put 11 or 12 Lions players in every springbok team. Problem solved:crylaugh:

Solitude

Expert Member
Article that I have read earlier,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/06/23/france-making-springbok-revival-look-easy/

Naas Botha is positive. Nick Mallet is placing the acclaim on Brendan Venter. So yah... On this note, Venter is appointed on the short-term, and currently he is only to be involved in this test series. Will have to see.
I have to agree with the article. The Bokke are showing a lot more energy and they look hungry again so there is that. I think defensively especially is a place where that helped. But on attack we still don't show enterprise and it's very rare to build phases. It's either break the line and score a try or lose the ball.

The coming Rugby Championship will be interesting. There we'll see how big the improvement is.

I have to agree with the article. The Bokke are showing a lot more energy and they look hungry again so there is that. I think defensively especially is a place where that helped. But on attack we still don't show enterprise and it's very rare to build phases. It's either break the line and score a try or lose the ball.

The coming Rugby Championship will be interesting. There we'll see how big the improvement is.
Yesterday's continuity problem in the back was purely the fault of Hougaard imo. 1. Him and Error don't gel well. 2. I don't rate him at all.

I'm glad Kriel had a great game, but seriously what's the point of PSdT coming on in the flank? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great lock, but last year's failed experiment just shows he's not a flank. I think we have enough good flanks in this country not to do something stupid like that.

And I will say it again, Rhule does not deserve his place in the team. Every single time yesterday he missed a tackle. He barely succeeds just in slowing down the not-tackled player.

The ball is not getting to Skosan enough, and when he does get it, there is no space at all. Too much lateral movement in the attacking back line?

I'm sad Dryer didn't have a good game, but gosh daai rooi kop moet 'n start maak. He is just monster... they way he dragged Andries to the line for the almost try was epic.

And serious, Bongi Mbonambi. No idea what he's even doing on the bench.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Hougard shouldn't play scrammy, he is way to slow to get the ball out. I still think he does great when he plays on the wing.
Page should be first choice scrammy together with the guy from the lions.

Hougard shouldn't play scrammy, he is way to slow to get the ball out. I still think he does great when he plays on the wing.
Page should be first choice scrammy together with the guy from the lions.
Paige first choice? No. But I prefer him over Hougaard.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Paige first choice? No. But I prefer him over Hougaard.
He has done enough against France to convince me he can stay. At least until he has a bad game. He gets the ball out quickly enough and gets the back line going. That's all you need in a scrummy. I didn't watch any super rugby so I don't know all the other guys.

DanDango

Executive Member
[video=youtube;YP9rhRs9WJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9rhRs9WJQ[/video]

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Lions team to face the AB's on Saturday.

5.Liam Williams (Scarlets/WAL); 14.Anthony Watson (Bath/ENG), 13.Jonathan Davies (Scarlets/WAL), 12.Owen Farrell (Saracens/ENG), 11.Elliot Daly (Wasps/ENG); 10.Johnny Sexton (Leinster/IRL), 9.Conor Murray (Munster/IRL); 8.Taulupe Faletau (Bath/ENG), 7.Sean O'Brien (Leinster/IRL), 6.Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff/WAL); 5.Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys/WAL), 4.Maro Itoje (Saracens/ENG); 2.Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/IRL), 2.Jamie George (Saracens/ENG), 1.Mako Vunipola (Saracens/ ENG)

Replacements: 16.Ken Owens (Scarlets/WAL), 17.Jack McGrath (Leinster/IRL),18. Kyle Sinckler(Harlequins/ENG), 19.Courtney Lawes (Northampton/ENG), 20.CJ Stander (Munster/IRL), 21.Rhys Webb (Ospreys/WAL), 22.Ben Te'o (Worcester/ENG), 23.Jack Nowell (Exeter/ENG)

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Pretty bold decision not to start Te'o, who's arguably been the form backline player for the Lions so far. He also handled SBW really well on defence last week.

ABs team for Saturday:

Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody.

Reserves: Nathan Harris, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden, Ngani Laumape.
Laumape was in barn busting form against the Lions for the Hurricanes. Going to be interesting if he can carry it through to test level.