Activate MTN roaming while overseas

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
I think the only way is to phone the Call Center - MTN isn't like Vodacom where you can SMS them...

Also, why Roam when you can get a local sim for much cheaper?

jacauc

Thanks... guess my next question is how to call the call-center while overseas.

I need to roam because I'm expecting a call from a prospective employer

travcaine

Try *111#, assuming that you have some sort of service. That is their roaming USSD.

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
Have you tried a Skype call? (I.e. Skype Credit to phone a landline) ? it can work from there

jacauc

Try this link: https://www.mtn.co.za/support/Pages/Ask_a_question.aspx

Online chat with MTN, they might be able to help you.

Got a response from MTN and they simply copy/pasted the website details. FML
Good day Jacques,

Thank you for emailing Customer Care.

What to remember before you go roaming
Make sure that you have contacted your service provider and activated roaming well in advance, at least 2 weeks prior to departure. Alternatively, you can also activate MTN SMS Roaming by dialling *111*14#.
A deposit may or may not be required depending on your price plan and payment history. Note—PAYG and TopUp customers do not need to activate roaming as it is active by default.
Make sure that your phone is compatible with the network in the country you’re visiting and that you have the right adaptor necessary to charge your phone. We recommend that you take along your phone user manual as well as your PIN and PUK numbers.
If you want to use the internet while roaming make sure that the country you are visiting has an MTN Roaming partner with data services. Latest information is available on www.mtn.co.za/travel/ Roaming Partners.
Make 100% sure what the rates in your destination country would be for making calls, sending SMS and using data (internet).
If you are going to use the internet please note that MTN charges for data roaming in increments that may vary per operator.
We trust the above meets your requirements.

Kind Regards,
Lethu Duba
Customer Services
MTN SA