supervegeta41

So I've recently got ADSL at my house and its been fine until now................. The ADSL light on my Billion 400G router blinks most of the time making browsing impossible.

The line drops every 5-10 minutes sometimes and other times it can stay for hours. As I'm typing this it dropped twice! I phoned telkom 3 times and every the time the fault was closed without anyone coming out to fix it, even the guys on the phone said they would phone me in 10 minutes but never did. So i thought it was my filters so I unplugged my telephone line and left only the ADSL router in but it the line still dropped. Then I noticed static on the phone line so I unplugged the router but that didn't solve the phone static.

So yesterday finally a technician arrived and did whatever when he left he told me that the reason for all the problems was unread voicemails:wtf: So i deleted all the voicemails but the problem still persists. I phoned telkom again but this time about the static on the phone and they 'will see what they can do'.

Last night it was perfectly fine with the router and I was browsing for at least an hour before the pages stopped loading. The ADSL light was solid green and both the ethernet and internet lights were blinking away but I couldnt load any page. So every 10-20 minutes I'd have to rebbot the modem to browser.

Some afternoons it works well(sorry my first forum post)

THE LINE DROPS RANDOMLY ANY IDEAS?:twisted:

Last edited:

Sachin1804

Stutter dial tone caused issues with dial up. Clearly thats an old generation techie trying to work on a new generation network. Static on your line would definitely cause inter synch issues and sometimes issues with just ppp. Check ur pm

supervegeta41

Okay I tried something and it seems I have to first unplug my telephone then put in my router, wait until sync is achieved then plug in the phone for the router to work properly

Sachin1804

Remember that the router and dslam port have auto rate adaptability. A newly synchronized dsl will work at 100%. Only to degrade the service over time. It will step down the synch rate in 32kb/s blocks until it can maintain synch at a power level of 12db SNR. Sometimes it unable to maintain the synch if the copper condition is really bad. PM TelkomZA and see whether he can do a copper test for you

Last edited:

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Your exact problem has happened to an increasingly growing list of people I know.
The problem is definitely in the exchange. I know this because of what I have done to prove it. I got additional lines installed at huge expense and this proved what I had figured out, the MSAM or whatever is badly configured or plain broken. The "crackling" on the line is a dead give-away. And you can prove it too, the minute they remove the ADSL provisioning, it goes away!