Afrihost Business Uncapped Feedback - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a way I feel a bit better now, was worried I was the only one complaining about this, no resolution from Afrihost though as to why I am having these issues. This is also a relatively recent issue too.

Haha always good to know that you aren't alone :P
 
In a way I feel a bit better now, was worried I was the only one complaining about this, no resolution from Afrihost though as to why I am having these issues. This is also a relatively recent issue too.

It does seem like OS updates and Windows service packs are not doing so great at the moment, with the high contention we're seeing. Until demand is brought back into line, it would be hard to say which services are going to perform poorly.
 
It does seem like OS updates and Windows service packs are not doing so great at the moment, with the high contention we're seeing. Until demand is brought back into line, it would be hard to say which services are going to perform poorly.

DSL Status
Our DSL Broadband network is running like a bomb! Everything is copacetic and we’re good to GO!


Sorry dude, there are no contention issues on your network.
 
DSL Status
Our DSL Broadband network is running like a bomb! Everything is copacetic and we’re good to GO!


Sorry dude, there are no contention issues on your network.

Unfortunately I don't have a say on what gets put on the network status. I've definitely raised the issues regarding that from our talks here, but the decision is not in my hands :(
 
It does seem like OS updates and Windows service packs are not doing so great at the moment, with the high contention we're seeing. Until demand is brought back into line, it would be hard to say which services are going to perform poorly.

So in plain English, you don't have enough capacity, so certain services are being shaped?
 
So in plain English, you don't have enough capacity, so certain services are being shaped?

I think we've discussed this a few times dude :)
Any updates that are widely adopted will always create additional demand on the network.
 
So in plain English, you don't have enough capacity, so certain services are being shaped?

we see shaping on our line when we download we don't get the full 10m speeds like we use to get
come on ah stop blowing smoke and update your capacity so people can get what they pay for
you must be the only isp where it takes half a year to sort out a problem
and don't ask for more tests you know where the problem is
 
we see shaping on our line when we download we don't get the full 10m speeds like we use to get
come on ah stop blowing smoke and update your capacity so people can get what they pay for
you must be the only isp where it takes half a year to sort out a problem
and don't ask for more tests you know where the problem is

No shaping is done on Business accounts.
You seem to be quite unhappy looking at your previous posts - could you PM me any test results you have, along with your DSL username, so we can work on a way forward together.
 
if no shaping is done then it means there is not enough capacity as we start off with the full 10m download then it goes down to 8m and jumps around the whole night as we download
i will ask our it guy for the details
 
if no shaping is done then it means there is not enough capacity as we start off with the full 10m download then it goes down to 8m and jumps around the whole night as we download
i will ask our it guy for the details

It's something that I'd like to troubleshoot with you, please PM me the info and any test results that you have available.
 
Hi,

These are just the normal Windows updates that one has to install if you reinstall Windows, some of these updates were released years ago, so I doubt there is a great demand for them. it took 4 hours last night to download 745MB of Windows updates on a 10MB Business Uncapped account, does not seem right at all.
 
Hi,

These are just the normal Windows updates that one has to install if you reinstall Windows, some of these updates were released years ago, so I doubt there is a great demand for them. it took 4 hours last night to download 745MB of Windows updates on a 10MB Business Uncapped account, does not seem right at all.

I thought you and AfriMan where talking about updates congesting the network.
Anyway, as AfriMan mentions here we know that MS updates aren't performing as they should on the network - it's something that we're working on rectifying.

It does seem like OS updates and Windows service packs are not doing so great at the moment, with the high contention we're seeing. Until demand is brought back into line, it would be hard to say which services are going to perform poorly.
 
I thought you and AfriMan where talking about updates congesting the network.
Anyway, as AfriMan mentions here we know that MS updates aren't performing as they should on the network - it's something that we're working on rectifying.

Any idea how long this will take, weeks, months? I cannot waste so much time on such a simple task. I have quiet e few computers that need to re formatted.
 
Some feedback on my second hop issue

Telkom have done some work on the port - as informed.

The line is performing much better with ~50ms on the first hop.
The intermittent line dropping seems to have stopped.

I have not checked with any other accounts, but will do so.

Thanking you for your dilligence.
 
Any idea how long this will take, weeks, months? I cannot waste so much time on such a simple task. I have quiet e few computers that need to re formatted.

I'm really not sure, sorry :( We're working full steam ahead on it though.
 
Some feedback on my second hop issue

Telkom have done some work on the port - as informed.

The line is performing much better with ~50ms on the first hop.
The intermittent line dropping seems to have stopped.

I have not checked with any other accounts, but will do so.

Thanking you for your dilligence.

Awesome sauce, keep me posted once you've run some more testing :)
 
Hi,

These are just the normal Windows updates that one has to install if you reinstall Windows, some of these updates were released years ago, so I doubt there is a great demand for them. it took 4 hours last night to download 745MB of Windows updates on a 10MB Business Uncapped account, does not seem right at all.

The age of the update has no impact on the speed of the download on the Microsoft side.
 
The age of the update has no impact on the speed of the download on the Microsoft side.

I am aware of that, but I think Afrihost were implying that the slow down is because a recent update that many are downloading, this is not the case. Like the issue they had when the large Apple update was released. All I am trying to do is download Windows 7 updates, and then later I need to download the Windows 10 builds as well, but that might take a year at these speeds.
 
I am aware of that, but I think Afrihost were implying that the slow down is because a recent update that many are downloading, this is not the case. Like the issue they had when the large Apple update was released. All I am trying to do is download Windows 7 updates, and then later I need to download the Windows 10 builds as well, but that might take a year at these speeds.

Not that I'm aware of, no. We're not seeing the updates perform as we'd like though.
 
I think it is time to upgrade the IPC links again, can't believe Afrihost dropped the ball yet again!

1 * * *
2 41.181.221.213 (41.181.221.213) 84.819 ms 86.808 ms 100.793 ms
3 41.181.221.214 (41.181.221.214) 132.718 ms 131.917 ms 129.089 ms
4 rb-dca-2.za--qux-b.za.mtnbusiness.net (41.181.165.118) 130.578 ms 125.765 ms 123.429 ms
5 rb-dca-2.za--rb-cr-1.mtnns.net (196.44.31.122) 80.237 ms 76.756 ms 77.083 ms
6 jh-dca-2.za--jh-cr-1.za-a.mtnns.net (196.44.0.221) 117.024 ms 117.832 ms
196.44.31.97 (196.44.31.97) 71.942 ms
7 196.30.1.53 (196.30.1.53) 67.173 ms 73.585 ms 74.246 ms
8 196.31.220.27 (196.31.220.27) 114.193 ms 104.273 ms 106.645 ms
9 196.31.63.202 (196.31.63.202) 107.484 ms 105.407 ms 102.980 ms
10 vl9-ah-ha-2.za.mtnbusiness.net (196.30.42.133) 101.734 ms 102.436 ms 102.977 ms
11 cms-gm.afrihost.com (197.242.144.102) 111.139 ms 113.818 ms 112.612 ms
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X