Afrihost Fibre Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Hi!

I thought it would simplify things quite a bit if we have a consolidated Thread for all Fibre feedback.

If you have any questions or queries with regards to your FTTH package or are interested in FTTH, please let us know! :)

Check if you have FTTH coverage HERE.

Last edited:

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Any plans to add DFA as a fiber network provider?

We'll definitely be adding additional providers in the future, but I can't give you an exact timeframe I'm afraid.

Have you checked on our Coverage Page if there are any providers in your area apart from DFA?

Scyn777

Why dont you have capped fiber options?, or am i missing it on the site?

OCP

Expert Member
but why would you want a capped option on fibre.
you guys are still stuck in the days of adsl
Because uncapped is subjected to FUP, usually contended and shaped.

I know i only use 60gb max per month and prefer having full unshaped access to that *all* the time.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep

I know i only use 60gb max per month and prefer having full unshaped access to that *all* the time.

If your usage is at that level, you could actually use a Home Uncapped account - assuming your connection is 4Mbps and higher - and not be throttled or shaped at all. :)

Nithan15

Expert Member
Hi Just curious as per your website

Home fibre 10mbps is R799.00 download 10mbps and upload 5mbps
Premuim fibre 10mbps is R999.00 download 10mbps and upload 5 mbps

whats the difference between these 2 packages?

milan188

FUP they won't admit it but that's the difference.

Nomadman

If you are been shaped on fibre Then you need to find yourself a Layer 2 provider and subscribe directly instead of using a layer 3 service

OCP

Expert Member
If you are been shaped on fibre Then you need to find yourself a Layer 2 provider and subscribe directly instead of using a layer 3 service
Why?

I have a capped ADSL account that works perfect for me. (No shaping/FUP)
When/if I make the move to fibre I would like to stay on capped.

OCP

Expert Member
If your usage is at that level, you could actually use a Home Uncapped account - assuming your connection is 4Mbps and higher - and not be throttled or shaped at all. :)
No thanks - when I move it will to a provider with a network that works and does not require me to provide countless traceroutes which are ignored all the while taking my money without any compensation for lack of services.

Been there, done that - never again.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep

FUP they won't admit it but that's the difference.

The Home Uncapped accounts are Throttled once you've hit the Usage Threshold we have listed HERE in a 30-day rolling window.

The Premium Uncapped accounts will only have P2P and HTTP downloads shaped when the network is at peak demand, obviously it depends on the network load at the various points of the infrastructure.

:)

Last edited:

Nomadman

Why?

I have a capped ADSL account that works perfect for me. (No shaping/FUP)
When/if I make the move to fibre I would like to stay on capped.

With that mentality you should just stay on Adsl

Your experience on adsl should not be the same on fibre so too should your treatment not be the same.
If you find yourself been treated as above on fibre my advise is get a proper provider.

The problem is you are so used to poor experience.

Last edited:

OCP

Expert Member
The Home Uncapped accounts are Throttled once you've hit the Usage Threshold we have listed HERE in a 30-day rolling window.

The Premium Uncapped accounts will only have P2P and HTTP downloads shaped when the network is at peak demand, obviously it depends on the network load at the various points of the infrastructure.

:)

"Throttled once you've hit the Usage Threshold" = why I will stick with uncapped

"P2P and HTTP downloads shaped when the network is at peak demand" = I only use internet in evenings and weekends as I am at work during the day. It is at these times that numerous users report internet speed/etc going down the toilet so no thanks; unfortunately I know how well your "shaping" works.

OCP

Expert Member
With that mentality you should just stay on Adsl

Your experience on adsl should not be the same on fibre so too should your treatment not be the same.
If you find yourself been treated as above on fibre my advise is get a proper provider.

The problem is you are so used to poor experience.

oh, so no shaping/no FUP is different between ADSL and fibre?

My only problem with poor (atrocious would be more accurate) experience was with AH - MONTHS of issues all blamed on Telkom/equipment/etc.
Funny thing is that when i changed my ADSL account to a different ISP all the constant problems went away!
Almost a year now that I have internet every day, no matter what time of day using the same equipment, same exchange, same usage.

And yes - ADSL is working just fine for me thanks very much - unless there is a considerable saving or they upgrade to fibre for free I will stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.