ouroesa

I am on an Afrihost 10mb uncapped account and I have been having issues playing Arma 3 online where the game will desync to such an extent that everybody is just standing on one place for about 5 minutes, then everything is normal again for about 2 minutes and the cycle repeats. This, obviously makes the game unplayable. It is a local server hosted by Mweb and I am the only one getting this bad desync on the server. Same happens on some other servers for Arma 3.

Everything is well if I use my Turbocharge minutes or use their free 1gb account or when using another ISP. Mine line is fine otherwise. After a week of trying to get the issue solved (explaining the symptoms, what fixes it, sending traceroutes, sending speedtests etc) thing seem to have finally come to a point. They say it is my fault for using too much data and my account is being shaped, which I know, but 'real time' traffic should not be shaped. I have asked them a few time to even supply me with more Turbocharge minutes while they are investigating/fixing the issue, but they ignore that request. Please read their response below:

"Good evening ****,

We manage all of our uncapped adsl accounts on an hour to hour basis depending on the performance of our network at that time.

If the capacity of the network is stretched at that time we will dynamically shape and manage the account to relieve congestion on the network.

These uncapped clients will be chosen based on historical bandwidth usage.The uncapped users with the most amount of bandwidth used will be managed first if there is network congestion.

Capped adsl accounts will not be affected by any shaping or management on the account. The capped accounts will always get whatever your line speed is able to give you.

We evaluate our network capacity on a hour to hour basis and if network congestion is eased we will un-manage the uncapped accounts until such time as capacity is stretched.

In view of the above, there are 2 possible solutions to avoid this shaping:
1) Change to a Business Uncapped account
2) Change to a capped account.

In view of the fact that you use more than 400 GB in some months, my advise would be for you to switch to a Business uncapped account.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

If the shaping is the issue, let us remove the issue.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you and regards.

Riaz Cajee
"

My issues are the following:

The fact still stands that gaming traffic should be given preference and should never be shaped, according to Afrihost:

"Uncapped products are advertised as semi-shaped on all our marketing material, including our website, but you can be assured that you will get premium real time services (as opposed to throttling down your entire linespeed like in the past or what our competitors do), no matter what time of the day or how much bandwidth you've moved. If your concern is having access to maximum download speed at any time, one of our Unshaped products, like Business ADSL or Capped ADSL, may be a better option for you."

Most of my traffic is game downloads (through Steam or Origin) or content streaming (Youtube or Twitch).

The answer they gave me is thus unacceptable as I am using the account exactly what it is meant for according to their website line recommendation is "Media, Downloads, Heavy Use"

Personally, I think that they have no idea what the issue is and just trying to push the blame to myself.

Am I totally misunderstanding something or are they confused?

Apologies for the long post.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
They know exactly what the issue is, their shaping. I believe facts and real evidence over rhetoric.

You say when you use another ISP then there's no problem? There you go, you fixed it :D

I would try www.crystalweb.co.za

AntiGanda

Banned
I am on an Afrihost 10mb uncapped account and I have been having issues playing Arma 3 online where the game will desync to such an extent that everybody is just standing on one place for about 5 minutes, then everything is normal again for about 2 minutes and the cycle repeats. This, obviously makes the game unplayable. It is a local server hosted by Mweb and I am the only one getting this bad desync on the server. Same happens on some other servers for Arma 3.

Everything is well if I use my Turbocharge minutes or use their free 1gb account or when using another ISP. Mine line is fine otherwise. After a week of trying to get the issue solved (explaining the symptoms, what fixes it, sending traceroutes, sending speedtests etc) thing seem to have finally come to a point. They say it is my fault for using too much data and my account is being shaped, which I know, but 'real time' traffic should not be shaped. I have asked them a few time to even supply me with more Turbocharge minutes while they are investigating/fixing the issue, but they ignore that request. Please read their response below:

"Good evening ****,

We manage all of our uncapped adsl accounts on an hour to hour basis depending on the performance of our network at that time.

If the capacity of the network is stretched at that time we will dynamically shape and manage the account to relieve congestion on the network.

These uncapped clients will be chosen based on historical bandwidth usage.The uncapped users with the most amount of bandwidth used will be managed first if there is network congestion.

Capped adsl accounts will not be affected by any shaping or management on the account. The capped accounts will always get whatever your line speed is able to give you.

We evaluate our network capacity on a hour to hour basis and if network congestion is eased we will un-manage the uncapped accounts until such time as capacity is stretched.

In view of the above, there are 2 possible solutions to avoid this shaping:
1) Change to a Business Uncapped account
2) Change to a capped account.

In view of the fact that you use more than 400 GB in some months, my advise would be for you to switch to a Business uncapped account.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

If the shaping is the issue, let us remove the issue.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you and regards.

Riaz Cajee
"

My issues are the following:

The fact still stands that gaming traffic should be given preference and should never be shaped, according to Afrihost:

"Uncapped products are advertised as semi-shaped on all our marketing material, including our website, but you can be assured that you will get premium real time services (as opposed to throttling down your entire linespeed like in the past or what our competitors do), no matter what time of the day or how much bandwidth you've moved. If your concern is having access to maximum download speed at any time, one of our Unshaped products, like Business ADSL or Capped ADSL, may be a better option for you."

Most of my traffic is game downloads (through Steam or Origin) or content streaming (Youtube or Twitch).

The answer they gave me is thus unacceptable as I am using the account exactly what it is meant for according to their website line recommendation is "Media, Downloads, Heavy Use"

Personally, I think that they have no idea what the issue is and just trying to push the blame to myself.

Am I totally misunderstanding something or are they confused?

Apologies for the long post.
Degrade the account you are on and then try to upsell. Yep, sounds like Afrihost.

ru-son

This company is a freakin Joke. I have also moaned on HelloPeter regarding this incompetent company. Not only that, but I have taken it a step further. Since I own a Social Media company, I have taken the liberty of tweeting my HelloPeter post as well as getting it retweeted over 10,000 times.

I sent this through to them this morning and told them that if **** doesn't get fixed, I am tweeting and retweeting every single negative post on HelloPeter about them over 5,000 times.

This will severely hurt their SEO reputation on Google, etc.

On a side note, any recommendations on a good ISP for Uncapped at 8MB?

Cheers

Ruoall

https://twitter.com/ruoall/status/513622429889880067

http://hellopeter.com/afri-host-com/complaints/waiting-20-days-for-issues-to-be-resolved-1514086

aucampia

This company is a freakin Joke. I have also moaned on HelloPeter regarding this incompetent company. Not only that, but I have taken it a step further. Since I own a Social Media company, I have taken the liberty of tweeting my HelloPeter post as well as getting it retweeted over 10,000 times.

I complained about them on Hello Peter, and then they lied and said issue was fixed. The problem is still to this day not fixed.

Best option is to look elsewhere.