Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread Part 2

No it's been an ongoing issue for some time now.



The major issue is poor client isolation on FNO's especially when it comes to DHCP. Clients create loops by spoofing gateway mac addresses causing mac flaps and bringing thousands of clients down and finding the culprits are difficult. In some cases, we do find them and ask the FNO to disable them until the issue can be fixed and instead of fixing the issue we are served with ISPA and ICASA complaints.

We have made a decision internally that DHCP at scale with all these moving parts is just not feasible. It's a pity because with the current DHCP tech we have we are ready for 2.5Gbps and 10Gbps FTTH right through our network core.
Yup, i got ridiculed for going the PPPOE route back in the day. But it is so much easier to only allow PPPOE discovery and session right from the OLT on L2-gets rid of 95% of the rubbish traffic.

Ultimately this is a poor show from the FNO's-they should at least enable MAC forced forwarding and IP source verify
 
@AfriNatic @Afrigirl Surely you guys credit for prolonged downtime, right ?

I was offline for 23 days cause of the MFN New Germany outage!

I did ask but the ticket was closed some time after connectivity was restored on the 6th of July.

LYT-221-78022
 
@AfriNatic @Afrigirl Surely you guys credit for prolonged downtime, right ?

I was offline for 23 days cause of the MFN New Germany outage!

I did ask but the ticket was closed some time after connectivity was restored on the 6th of July.

LYT-221-78022

Hi

Yes, I'm aware of the outage and have requested a credit for the downtime from accounts.

The outage was due to the "construction mafias" that poured petrol into all the MetroFibre manholes burning the infrastructure which had to subsequently be rebuilt. I will have feedback on Monday once the credit is passed.
 
@AfriNatic trying to help my brother in law out they've been out 4 days in, below was message but no update since then, do you perhaps have some insight?
been completely dead since the 12th.

Event ID:
CM-10513
Paulshof
Medium Impact • Vumatel Outage | Paulshof
10:32 • 12 Jul 2023

Vumatel has informed us of a network outage affecting Paulshof, affected clients will experience limited to no connectivity. Vumatel engineers are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
 
@AfriNatic trying to help my brother in law out they've been out 4 days in, below was message but no update since then, do you perhaps have some insight?
been completely dead since the 12th.

Event ID:
CM-10513
Paulshof
Medium Impact • Vumatel Outage | Paulshof
10:32 • 12 Jul 2023

Vumatel has informed us of a network outage affecting Paulshof, affected clients will experience limited to no connectivity. Vumatel engineers are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Do you have any details so I can lookup the line and see what is going on?

The change should not leave days without service. Is the broadband and service light both off?
 
@AfriNatic @Afrigirl
Please assist, our fiber was down from early Saturday morning and returned sometime this morning due to vandalism.

I’m not getting the required speed I’m supposed to be getting. I have rebooted the ONT & router a few times but speed is the same.
 
@AfriNatic @Afrigirl
Please assist, our fiber was down from early Saturday morning and returned sometime this morning due to vandalism.

I’m not getting the required speed I’m supposed to be getting. I have rebooted the ONT & router a few times but speed is the same.

Please send Afrigirl and me a message with your details so we can log a ticket for you.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X